WAMC upcoming cycle - low GPA and okay DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirby777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread, any advices are greatly appreciated! :biglove:
Date of submission: next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.45 [term GPA: 3.5 - 2.65 - 3.55 - 3.15 - 3.26 - 3.69 - 3.62 - 3.92 - 3.75 - 3.79]
Science GPA: 3.38
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.49 - 2.79 - 3.65
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 25 | PAT 21 | QR 30 | RC 22 | BIO 21 | GC 25 | OC 26 | TS 23
State of Residence: Massachusetts

Undergrad Attended: Penn State
Major: Genetics and Developmental Bio
Minor: Biochemistry and Molecular Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ in general dentistry, 40+ in orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: N/A
Employment: will work as part-time DA soon in current shadowing clinic
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Host one dental education event
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list
LOR type and strength: 2 from general dentists that I've shadowed/worked with (strong), 1 from my mentor who's very successful in his field of healthcare, and potentially 1 from another general dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A

School list:
BU, Tufts, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Rutgers, Touro, Case western, Creighton, Maryland
UCLA, UCSF, USC, UPenn, Columbia

I'm struggling with:
1. I've been out of school for a while (graduated in 2021), so asking LORs from professors might be a little tough. Is it okay if all of my LORs are from dentists? -solved thank you :)
2. My ECs are weak because I didn't start considering dentistry as a career until junior year of college, will my job as DA compensate the inexperience a little? -solved thank you :) will find volunteer opportunity more
3. Should I apply a master program to boost up my GPA? -maybe I should
4. For my school list, am I aiming too high for including schools like UOP, Columbia and UC schools? -probably yes, will be applying to more private schools

Thank you so much for your time and input, I really appreciated it 💕 Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on the dat score, that’s a big accomplishment! In regards to your questions:

1. You must have at least 2 professors, 1 science and 1 within your major write you a letter. Or, if your school has a committee letter, they prefer that. Having only dentists will, unfortunately, not meet the requirements I don’t think. Honestly 3 of my letter writers didn’t know me that well, but I prepared a substantial letter packet for them that consisted of my transcript, attributes that make me fit for dental school, my personal statement, and how their class prepared me for the rigors of dental school and how I will translate what I learned to my field. So if you need to reach out to them, see if they’d be willing to accept something like that to help them with the letter. You could always sit down with them too to help guide them.

2. You need some type of volunteer experience. Homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen are all good experiences. I volunteered in a soup kitchen handing out food to the underserved. This will
Impact your application and I suggest you try to get some type of hours before you apply.

3. While your gpa is on the lower end, I don’t think it would hurt you as much given your dat score. Though taking a masters and doing well will certainly boost your application.

4. The top schools you listed are very stat heavy, the thing holding you back will be your gpa which they will look at. You should try to look for more schools that are closer to you. USC, UCSF, UCLA and UNC will all be very difficult for you to get in as an OOS student. Rutgers, Case western, Creighton, and Maryland should be added instead for some safety’s and in range schools. It’s totally okay to have reach schools, but your app shouldn’t consist of majority of the hardest schools to get into. Be realistic with yourself and your stats and try to have a more well rounded list to maximize your chances.

One one big piece of advice, apply as early as you can, and do it right the first time. You only get to be a first time applicant once. Make sure your application is as good as it can be and take your time! Good luck to you and If you have any questions you can always PM me as well!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread, any advices are greatly appreciated! :biglove:
Date of submission: next cycle
Overall GPA: 3.45 [term GPA: 3.5 - 2.65 - 3.55 - 3.15 - 3.26 - 3.69 - 3.62 - 3.92 - 3.75 - 3.79]
Science GPA: 3.38
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.49 - 2.79 - 3.65
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 25 | PAT 21 | QR 30 | RC 22 | BIO 21 | GC 25 | OC 26 | TS 23
State of Residence: Massachusetts

Undergrad Attended: Penn State
Major: Genetics and Developmental Bio
Minor: Biochemistry and Molecular Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ in general dentistry, 40+ in orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: N/A
Employment: will work as part-time DA soon in current shadowing clinic
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Host one dental education event
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list
LOR type and strength: 2 from general dentists that I've shadowed/worked with (strong), 1 from my mentor who's very successful in his field of healthcare, and potentially 1 from another general dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A

School list: (majorly east coast)
BU, Tufts, UOP, Columbia, NYU, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Touro, UMich, OSU, UNC, UCLA, UCSF, USC

I'm struggling with:
1. I've been out of school for a while (graduated in 2021), so asking LORs from professors might be a little tough. Is it okay if all of my LORs are from dentists?
2. My ECs are weak because I didn't start considering dentistry as a career until junior year of college, will my job as DA compensate the inexperience a little?
3. Should I apply a master program to boost up my GPA?
4. For my school list, am I aiming too high for including schools like UOP, Columbia and UC schools?

Thank you so much for your time and input, I really appreciated it 💕 Happy New Year!
i was making a post, but ^this says it all...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the dat score, that’s a big accomplishment! In regards to your questions:

1. You must have at least 2 professors, 1 science and 1 within your major write you a letter. Or, if your school has a committee letter, they prefer that. Having only dentists will, unfortunately, not meet the requirements I don’t think. Honestly 3 of my letter writers didn’t know me that well, but I prepared a substantial letter packet for them that consisted of my transcript, attributes that make me fit for dental school, my personal statement, and how their class prepared me for the rigors of dental school and how I will translate what I learned to my field. So if you need to reach out to them, see if they’d be willing to accept something like that to help them with the letter. You could always sit down with them too to help guide them.

2. You need some type of volunteer experience. Homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen are all good experiences. I volunteered in a soup kitchen handing out food to the underserved. This will
Impact your application and I suggest you try to get some type of hours before you apply.

3. While your gpa is on the lower end, I don’t think it would hurt you as much given your dat score. Though taking a masters and doing well will certainly boost your application.

4. The top schools you listed are very stat heavy, the thing holding you back will be your gpa which they will look at. You should try to look for more schools that are closer to you. USC, UCSF, UCLA and UNC will all be very difficult for you to get in as an OOS student. Rutgers, Case western, Creighton, and Maryland should be added instead for some safety’s and in range schools. It’s totally okay to have reach schools, but your app shouldn’t consist of majority of the hardest schools to get into. Be realistic with yourself and your stats and try to have a more well rounded list to maximize your chances.

One one big piece of advice, apply as early as you can, and do it right the first time. You only get to be a first time applicant once. Make sure your application is as good as it can be and take your time! Good luck to you and If you have any questions you can always PM me as well!
Thank you so so much for your detailed advices!!! They are super, super helpful!! :biglove:
I was really unclear of where my stats stands in the applicant pool, and I was being too optimistic. Now I know where my problems are and how I can fix them, words can't express how grateful I am for your suggestions!!💕
I will try my best to enhance my application following your advices. You're the best, thank you so much again!!

1. your gpa is not low lol, its around average. 2. your dat is literally perfect.. plus you have a positive trend. You're more than fine tbh. Also remove NYU and add RSDM or Buffalo.

Okay DAT? Bro, your DAT is 97th percentile.
I was so thrilled at first, but after looking at many different applicants' stats, I just lost confidence :( and my AA is brought up by QR which I believe many schools probably won't care as much. :cryi:

1. your gpa is not low lol, its around average. 2. your dat is literally perfect.. plus you have a positive trend. You're more than fine tbh.
Thank you so so much!!! 😭 I was losing so much confidence and having a lot of anxieties about my stats. Thank you for your advices, it truly means a lot to me.

Thank you so so much!!! 😭 I was losing so much confidence and having a lot of anxieties about my stats. Thank you for your advices, it truly means a lot to me.
Deff Add buffalo and RSDM and remove NYU. You have enough private schools on your list. We have similar GPA (your overall is better/ my science is better) and similar GPA (your AA is better and same TS). I got 5 Invites no problem.

Deff Add buffalo and RSDM and remove NYU. You have enough private schools on your list. We have similar GPA (your overall is better/ my science is better) and similar GPA (your AA is better and same TS). I got 5 Invites no problem.
Thank you so much dent453!!! I feel like I'm in a better, less-stressed state now 😊 I'll update my school list and thank you again for your advice!