GPA and GRE advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookworm06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm wondering what to make of my qualifications for admission. I'm applying to PhD programs in clinical this fall. I have a 4.0 GPA from my degree-granting institution and almost 2 years of full time research experience as well as experience volunteering clinically but only a 510V and 640M on my GRE... a big discrepancy there between the two. I am registered to take the GRE again in a few weeks but my practice scores are the same, no matter how many vocabulary words I memorize, so I'm not even sure I'll take it again.

What do you think of this? Do I still have a shot? I don't think my scores will be going up. I'd hate to think that the GRE alone would keep me from admission to programs when I've worked so hard throughout 4 years of college and 2 years as an RA.

Any input would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know....

I am applying too. All everyone seems to say to me is "your GRE needs to be strong!" -and I am not even applying to clinical programs--I'm applying to research. Although I don't have 2 years as an RA nor anything close to a 4.0...

Schools seem to be a little insane about the GRE, giving it too much weight. Even though your other numbers are perfectly strong, my fear for you is that your low(er) GRE would cast doubt in the minds of the admissions committee about your ability to handle the rigors of graduate study.

If I were you, I would DEFINETELY take it again. You have nothing to lose. Everything to gain.

What came of that two years of research experience?

If you have really solid research skills and you can find and demonstrate fit with the programs you apply to, those GRE scores aren't stellar but that alone won't keep you out of grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I actually talked to one of my recommenders, who said he would mention in his letter that my gres are not indicative of my graduate school potential. Hopefully, this will make some difference.

Some programs are putting less emphasis on GRE scores, though when you have 200+ applicants for a handful of spots....the threshold of what you are looking for will probably go up, since they don't want to interview all 200 applicants. If you have strong research experience and are a good fit, you still very much have a shot. You'd much rather have lower GREs and good research experience, compared to someone who aces the GREs, but hasn't shown an ability to work with research. Graduate school involves research, not acing the GREs, so you probably shouldn't worry too much....though your biggest hurdle will be the first cut.

-t

I was concerned about the breakdown of my GRE scores and not passing minimum cutoff scores for each section so I called most of the schools that I will be applying to and asked if they looked at combined scores or verbal and math separately. Each school told me combined (not separate sections) and what that cutoff was. I would recommend that you call and find out if your combined passes their minimums. If you did, then you don't need to worry about this anymore!

I actually have the same combined score as you, but my verbal was higher and my math was lower. Although this is the second time I am applying, last year I was waitlisted at many schools and interviewed at one (and I was VERY close to being accepted). I did not feel as though my GRE scores held me back. I was still completing my BS last year, and now with more research experience I am applying again. I'm not retaking the GREs because I know that I will probably end up with the same score (since I have not studied at all). Most schools say that they want a 1200; however, if you have research experience and a pub or two and, most importantly, a good research fit at the school, I don't think that your GRE scores will hold you back. I called some programs and was told that 1150 is close enough-you won't necessarily be excluded based on those scores. I honestly didn't feel that my GRE scores held me back! On the flip side, many schools will look at your highest scores if you retake, so if you managed to get a little higher on the verbal-within the same range-it would bump up your total score.

If I were you I would concentrate on writing an awesome personal statement and CV and really focusing on the research 'fit' between you and each program. Good luck!

Thanks. This is really helpful information. I can't wait until my applications are in and everything is completed.

Thanks. This is really helpful information. I can't wait until my applications are in and everything is completed.

Boy do I remember that feeling!!! :rolleyes:

One thing that I found was that they seemed to care a lot more about your Quant score than Verbal. This should play in your favor.

Good luck! :luck:

I was in a very similar situation last year and it worked for me! And at my top school! There are some schools that are less focused on GREs than others, and a lot of schools seem to be realizing that GREs are not everything. Make sure you look through the schools requirements - if they have a defined cutoff it's probably not worth the money to apply, unless you talk with the school and clarify.

In your personal statement really focus on your outstanding undergrad performance and all of the skills you've acquired during your 2 years as an RA. If you have a publication, all the better. Strong recommendations can really go a long way, so it sounds like you have a strong case. Good luck!