GPA and MCAT scores for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are some of the GPAs and MCAT scores people have to get to be able to get into this program. What are the lowest scores possible and still be able to get it?

Thanks,

Dave

Members don't see this ad.

dganaden said:
I was wondering what are some of the GPAs and MCAT scores people have to get to be able to get into this program. What are the lowest scores possible and still be able to get it?

Thanks,

Dave
I'm not sure if there is a cutoff, but I think a 29 on the MCAT is almost an automatic. Basically, if you are strong enough to get into a medical school, you can get the scholarship. I would think your timing of the app would be fairly important, as well.

MCAT and GPA both play a huge part in their decision. However, it's not the only thing. They also look at your activities and honors/recognition. The school you go to for undergrad may play a role if you come a well-known school.

I had a 3.66 GPA and a 27 on my MCAT (+pissed+). My recruiter said very few people get the Air Force HPSP with a 27. But he believed that I seemed to have made up for it with my relatively "high" GPA and that my school was well known enough. I also had an acceptance into a med school.

With the Army and Navy, the numbers may be a little lower. Overall, who knows what will happen unless you try because they look at everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
tran1123 said:
MCAT and GPA both play a huge part in their decision. However, it's not the only thing. They also look at your activities and honors/recognition. The school you go to for undergrad may play a role if you come a well-known school.

I had a 3.66 GPA and a 27 on my MCAT (+pissed+). My recruiter said very few people get the Air Force HPSP with a 27. But he believed that I seemed to have made up for it with my relatively "high" GPA and that my school was well known enough. I also had an acceptance into a med school.

With the Army and Navy, the numbers may be a little lower. Overall, who knows what will happen unless you try because they look at everything.

The programs never fill in any of the services. This question has been addressed often on this forum. The AFHPSP is identical across the three branches, and people usually just apply to the first branch to get to them, so the requirements don't vary much. I think 23 and 3.0 is automatic...check the rest of the forum, though.

The recruiter is just using an old trick. He's tempting you...so that when you do get it, you'll feel like you've earned it and, as such, will join willingly and quickly (thus boosting their numbers). Everyone gets Pro-Rec'ed, and only the physical can keep you from being a Final Select.

i had 25 mcat and 3.3 gpa and applied for AF and army and got them both. the thing is to apply early. I got a quick acceptance to DO school for my app, and now can change that to a MD school if I get off those f--ing waitlists.

I was told by both the Army and Navy recruiter that an MCAT of 38 and a GPA of 3.5 qualified for some sort of "fast track" or "fleet track", meaning automatic approval. They didn't elaborate, but I didn't ask.....

If you look around on here, there are several people who applied for the AFHPSP this time and were outright rejected and are now looking to apply Navy and Army. I don't think that the 3.0 23 is an "automatic."

Just FYI...I was told the the AF looks for applicants with a 27 and a 3.5...that being said, I was lower in one and higher in the other and got accepted so that can be made up for with good LORs (bc my undergrad school and nothing else was extremely impressive with my file).