GPA and pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cju101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

They would look at both. I wouldn't worry about your GPA for a few reasons. 1 if you are doing that well, I doubt you would run into anything that would change it much. 2 even if you do drop some, adcoms love to see people with a degree and it would probably help more than the drop in GPA would hurt. 3 it never hurts to have a back up plan.

if u have a 3.98 so far, u have shown yourself to be a great, not good, student. so continue to be confident b/c u have shown that so far. if u do bad on a couple of classes (like Cs or even Bs), you're fine. 1-2 classes are not killers. just continue the trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of situations where a student will boast about having a "4.0" in terms of their science courses, but the full story/overall GPA was less than impressive. Needless to say, that person was confused when they received no interview.

PharmCAS calculates science, non-science, math, and overall GPAs. But not all pharmacy schools use PharmCAS.

I have heard the same about pharmacy schools and how they favor a candidate with a Bachelor's in one of the Sciences versus someone with just the pre-reqs. Plus there are the other (what I feel are requirements) to being a complete candidate (extracurricular, pharmacy and life experiences).

okay then can someone please tyrna give the least overall GPA one shud expect to get into Pharm school ?Meen am tryin TSU.....AM DEAD SCARED.....

The lowest GPA you can get and expect to get into Pharm School is whatever that particular school lists as the minimum GPA they will consider.

I'm currently finishing up my second year at Penn State University. I have always liked the idea of becoming a pharmacist. I love the biochemistry aspect, and how different chemicals interact with the body on a molecular level.
Anyway, I plan on going to pharmacy school. I've completed all the required classes, expect 3 (which i can take in one semester). I've been fortunate enough to maintin a 3.98 through all the required classes. My question is.....Do the pharmacy schools look at the GPA of the required classes, or do they look at overall GPA(I was thinking about finishing my four year degree, to have a backup plan, and I was scared that GPA would drop in the next two years)

Any advice?

GPA is kind of like a buffer. The more you add, the less it reacts to swings in grades one way or the other. I'd say if you've got two years in that your cumulative GPA is somewhat buffered. The only thing you'd have to worry about is your science GPA. Hopefully the 3.98 can be interpreted as an inate ability to grasp concepts. If that's the case you should do fine. If it's the ability to study then it will depend on keeping study habits consistent and the ability to pick up essential concepts which make studying easier. Either way it seems you should do fine.