GPA and specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyDS2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading about how you should worry about your GPA if you want to specialize and all of that stuff, but what is a good GPA to specialize? I have a 3.5 and I rank 20 out of 90... should I even consider working harder to raise my GPA have a chance or should I quit thinking about it? I really don't know what I want to do yet .. but just wondering! any input would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I keep reading about how you should worry about your GPA if you want to specialize and all of that stuff, but what is a good GPA to specialize? I have a 3.5 and I rank 20 out of 90... should I even consider working harder to raise my GPA have a chance or should I quit thinking about it? I really don't know what I want to do yet .. but just wondering! any input would be appreciated

there's a lot more information needed for anyone to even begin answering your question. for starters -- what year are you in dental school, where do you attend dental school, what specialties are you considering -- this one will make a huge difference, as you probably already figured. usually GPA isn't the measure postgraduate programs use to compare candidates, it's more about class rank from which dental school.