GPA calculation (about retaking a course)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I retake a class.

For example, there are chemistry 1 and chemistry 2.
Each class is a 3 credits course and I got a C in both classes.
That means my GPA from those classes is (2*3+2*3)/6 = 2.0, right?
And let's say I retake chem 1 and get an A.
Does my GPA will be (2*3+2*3+4*3)/9 = 2.67 or (2*3+3*3)/6 = 2.5
I know retaking a class is not going to make you earn any credits.
The first calculation is based on my first theory that every credits count for GPA even if some credits don't count toward my total credits.
The second calculation is based on my second theory that C and A will make you get a B.
I talked to my friend today and I became curious about this.
What is the answer?

I thought it would be 2.67, but my friend said it's 2.5.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let's say I retake a class.

For example, there are chemistry 1 and chemistry 2.
Each class is a 3 credits course and I got a C in both classes.
That means my GPA from those classes is (2*3+2*3)/6 = 2.0, right?
And let's say I retake chem 343 and get an A.
Does my GPA will be (2*3+2*3+4*3)/9 = 2.67 or (2*3+3*3)/6 = 2.5
I know retaking a class is not going to make you earn any credits.
The first calculation is based on my first theory that every credits count for GPA even if some credits don't count toward my total credits.
The second calculation is based on my second theory that C and A will make you get a B.
I talked to my friend today and I became curious about this.
What is the answer?

I thought it would be 2.67, but my friend said it's 2.5.

maybe Im just slow... but I couldn't, for the life of me, follow your calculations. By the way, whats the relationship between "chem 343" and "chemistry 1" and "chemistry 2"... doesn't even sound like the same course.

Anyways, ALL retook courses will be cumulatively added into your GPA calculation. Here is what I mean

You took chemistry 1 and earned a 2.0 ~ 3 credit course
retook the SAME chemistry 1 course, this time you earned a 4.0 ~ 3 credit course

your overall GPA will be 3.0

maybe Im just slow... but I couldn't, for the life of me, follow your calculations. By the way, whats the relationship between "chem 343" and "chemistry 1" and "chemistry 2"... doesn't even sound like the same course.

Anyways, ALL retook courses will be cumulatively added into your GPA calculation. Here is what I mean

You took chemistry 1 and earned a 2.0 ~ 3 credit course
retook the SAME chemistry 1 course, this time you earned a 4.0 ~ 3 credit course

your overall GPA will be 3.0

Sorry for the confusion. Umm, Well the reason why I added Chem 1 and Chem 2 are comparing GPA.
So you are saying that it would be 3.0 GPA for 6 credits or 3.0 GPA for 3 credits if I retake the class

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the confusion. Umm, Well the reason why I added Chem 1 and Chem 2 are comparing GPA.
So you are saying that it would be 3.0 GPA for 6 credits or 3.0 GPA for 3 credits if I retake the class

GPA will be 3.0 from 6 credits (3 credits initial take + 3 credits retake)

All courses you take will be included in your calculation, regardless of whether you bombed it the first time and had to retake it or not.