GPA CALCULATION ???? UC vs Cal STate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys I was wondering does ADCOMS or what not add points if you went to a UC, or STATE. I went to UCI and its like ranked #11 in the states so does this get looked upon cause my sci GPA is like 2.67 so does that mean BCP is like 2.8 or What anyone?????

Members don't see this ad.

ashman said:
Hey you guys I was wondering does ADCOMS or what not add points if you went to a UC, or STATE. I went to UCI and its like ranked #11 in the states so does this get looked upon cause my sci GPA is like 2.67 so does that mean BCP is like 2.8 or What anyone?????

I asked one of the addmission comittee that same question at UCLA, he said they really don't care if you went to a UCLA, Harvard, Oxford, Community college or Cal state. If your DAT is in the 20's, and you went to some community college and gpa is average we will take you over some one who got a below average gpa did worse than you on DAT's and went to harvard. If the DAT did not exist then the name and reputation of school in the application process would matter but since the DAT does exist and it's a standardized test, then it takes out the whole issue of where you went.

This is just what i've heard so don't hold me up 100% to what I said.

I think Qarmonist is right.

Members don't see this ad :)
ashman said:

well, considering how you went to the school and can't change it, it's all a moot point... I'd spare as much thought to it as I would what photo studios takes the best "beauty shots" in passport sizes... :)

Yup qarmonist is definitely right on. I should have went to a Cal State, easier, smaller class sizes easier to talk to teachers to get help which i'm sure the more help the better the grade and understanding of the material. At UCLA 300 students are knocking on the teachers door at the same time, very difficult to bond with a teacher. I'm going to UCLA as an undergrad bio major and to tell you the truth it is definitely B$#%$%. I've made a big mistake of coming here. The only benefit of UC's in my opinion is if your planning on working with your bachelors degree then the name could be important but if your going to dental or medical school or still continuing to go to get masters its a waste of effort and money. Sure environment and all that crap is great, but you will see when you have tons of tests and all that crap then you tend to forget where you are. There's no time to enjoy campus thats the last thing that is on your mind. I think its just the brainwashing that we had in high school that going to cal state was a sin or something your going to be a bum if you go there but that is definitely not the case in fact the opposite. So yea school doesn't matter. Just Rock your DAT. I know I been whining but yea just pissed at myself. Anyways good luck. :thumbup:

I somewhat agree with Toothfixer. Personally, I too have noticed some flaws of UCLA. Indeed, there are lots of distractions, class size is way too large, professors are concerned with research, competitive atmosphere in science courses, etc. I have been challenged academically, but that does not necessarily correlate to the best quality of education. I have taken several courses at smaller college(less known) while in high school, and I felt more focused and engaged in course materials there, and plus I got to know the professors really well.

Ashman, 2.67 GPA is pretty low, and I would suggest you to take some more classes to increase that GPA, or if not do the master's and apply. Honestly, even if you rock on the DAT, there is no guarantee that you will get into dental school with that GPA. I wish you the best luck.

Dentalist said:
I somewhat agree with Toothfixer. Personally, I too have noticed some flaws of UCLA. Indeed, there are lots of distractions, class size is way too large, professors are concerned with research, competitive atmosphere in science courses, etc. I have been challenged academically, but that does not necessarily correlate to the best quality of education. I have taken several courses at smaller college(less known) while in high school, and I felt more focused and engaged in course materials there, and plus I got to know the professors really well.

Ashman, 2.67 GPA is pretty low, and I would suggest you to take some more classes to increase that GPA, or if not do the master's and apply. Honestly, even if you rock on the DAT, there is no guarantee that you will get into dental school with that GPA. I wish you the best luck.

Most definitely!!! UCLA= increased competition and not necessarily the best of education

Yeah, UCLA and BYU are the two top pre-dent schools, but one of the reasons is because they are so freaking competitive that the lower end of the applicants gets weeded out in undergrad.