GPA concerns!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am freaking out (probably needless, but nonetheless) because of my GPA. I started off my freshman year with a 3.9 and now close to the middle of junior year, I have around 3.75. How will med schools look at this? I feel that this continual downward trend is not good. Am I being too much of a perfectionist?? Also, just how do med schools view B's and B+'s? Oh, I just wish I could not care about my grades!!:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

3.75?!? you have nothing to worry about, that's at or above most schools' avg gpa

haha...touche

Members don't see this ad :)
3.75 is godly

Originally posted by Gleevec
OK, so I am freaking out (probably needless, but nonetheless) because of my MCAT. I started off my Kaplan diagnostic with a 39 and now close to the middle of course, I have around a 37. How will med schools look at this? I feel that this continual downward trend is not good. Am I being too much of a perfectionist?? Also, just how do med schools view 38T and 39S? Oh, I just wish I could not care about my MCAT!!:mad:

:p

In other words, you have nothing to worry about...

gleevic ur the kinda punk id stomp on in medschool-watch out

People... this guy does have a valid concern. A 3.75 is great... but if his gpa continues to drop like this... he might have a 3.6 by the time he applies. A 3.6 is still good, but it's below average at a lot of good med schools this guy might want to apply to.

To the OP... a 3.75 is good enough for most schools (except maybe JHU or WashU or some of those other places with sky high averages). So just make sure you stabilize at that 3.75 and don't keep slipping.

Good luck :)

To the OP--med schools do not simply look at your gpa, and ignore your class grades like some people here seem to think. The most important thing you can do is finish this semester strong, and do well next semester, too. Stop that downward trend. If you do that (unless the lowered gpa was caused by some really bad grades) you should be fine.

To those who think you'd do fine with a 3.75 and she/he was silly to ask---I have a 3.85 overall, 3.80 science. However, I have been questioned (and rightly so) about my gpa. Why? Cause I second semester soph. year I got a C+ in org. 2, B org. lab, and B+ in comparative anatomy. Then next semester I got a B in physics and B+ in probability. Everything else was A's. So yes, I have a high gpa. But I didn't do as well in the classes that they really care about.

Ok, I have finally realized something -- I need to stop being so obsessed with my GPA. Sure, my GPA have slipped since freshman year, yet I still think I have a damn good GPA. I just have to look on the bright side of things. If it's meant to work out in the end, it will.

Originally posted by JulianCrane
Ok, I have finally realized something -- I need to stop being so obsessed with my GPA. Sure, my GPA have slipped since freshman year, yet I still think I have a damn good GPA. I just have to look on the bright side of things. If it's meant to work out in the end, it will.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: good realization, JC!!

you dont have anything to worry about. starting out w/ such a high GPA you have nowhere to go but down. as long as you maintain your gpa where it is and dont let it dip below 3.7 you'll be good to go.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I think you should worry about your MCAT (this your 10th time retaking it??) before you get all arrogant about beating people in medical school.

hey dyko ur missin the point .. and its gonna be 11 mcats FYI-.. doenst negate teh fct that id make ur life hellishly painful iin mor wys than one in medschool.. STOMP on ya.. get it.. got it.. Good thnx

thread-ugly.gif

but seriously folks, play nice. your feud has nothing to do with the OP or the OP's question, so save it for PMs.

Have a nice day. :)

to OP:

i would also look to see what kinds of classes you are taking. jr and senior years generally entail upper-level classes in your concentration (as opposed to intro-lev gut classes fr-soph years), so it's understandable to not do as well. if your reason for doing worse is simply because you looked up procastination in the dictionary and made it your life, then i'd say, welcome to the club, i mean, get studying.