Mock interview, clinical experience concerns, imposter syndrome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, so I had a mock interview with two professors (public health) from my university who were kind enough to practice with me.

I asked for hard-hitting questions and honesty, which I am grateful for. One of them mentioned to me that my clinical experiences could be seen as not enough - I have almost five years of hospice patient volunteering and four months of primary care shadowing. The professor who asked said she applied to medical school like twenty years ago and got grilled during interviews because she was only an EMT. Is my hospice + shadowing enough clinical experience?

Thanks. Feeling some imposter syndrome haha and I'm evaluating how I should discuss my clinical experiences and plans for taking care of patients as PCP. In my answer I talked about wanting to be an educator and advocate for preventive medicine and community health as well.

I have two interviews coming up at med school. Would they invite me to interview if my application was lacking patient exposure?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
All that is school dependent. What I would focus on is being able to connect with the interviewer, project warmth, and do your very best to provide authentic answers. No one wants to listen to canned responses. When I taught at a DO school, at the beginning of the interview, I would ask, " Why DO? But you can't use the word Holistic" I did that to change things up a little in an attempt to get a more authentic response. Plus after 17 yrs, I got tired of hearing it. I agree, it's important to practice getting the words out, but try to keep in mind what U said. There are few right or wrong answers at a med school interview. I like to think you are auditioning to be my doctor. Regardless, make sure you just do you, and you will be fine

Reactions: 1 user
I have two interviews coming up at med school. Would they invite me to interview if my application was lacking patient exposure?
Your WAMC responses from us suggest you are okay with clinical experience. We can't say how you compare with others in your pool.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, so I had a mock interview with two professors (public health) from my university who were kind enough to practice with me.

I asked for hard-hitting questions and honesty, which I am grateful for. One of them mentioned to me that my clinical experiences could be seen as not enough - I have almost five years of hospice patient volunteering and four months of primary care shadowing. The professor who asked said she applied to medical school like twenty years ago and got grilled during interviews because she was only an EMT. Is my hospice + shadowing enough clinical experience?

Thanks. Feeling some imposter syndrome haha and I'm evaluating how I should discuss my clinical experiences and plans for taking care of patients as PCP. In my answer I talked about wanting to be an educator and advocate for preventive medicine and community health as well.

Ignore that professor; she is a complete idiot!

I have a particularly high regard for people who work in hospice.

I'm evaluating how I should discuss my clinical experiences and plans for taking care of patients as PCP.
For the former, just answer the question and speak from the heart.

For the latter, you haven't set foot on a med school campus; you'll learn then, and in residency. If you really need an answer, say "to the best of my abilities and training".

Reactions: 2 users
All that is school dependent. What I would focus on is being able to connect with the interviewer, project warmth, and do your very best to provide authentic answers. No one wants to listen to canned responses. When I taught at a DO school, at the beginning of the interview, I would ask, " Why DO? But you can't use the word Holistic" I did that to change things up a little in an attempt to get a more authentic response. Plus after 17 yrs, I got tired of hearing it. I agree, it's important to practice getting the words out, but try to keep in mind what U said. There are few right or wrong answers at a med school interview. I like to think you are auditioning to be my doctor. Regardless, make sure you just do you, and you will be fine
I'm interviewing at a DO school soon, and they gave me the same advice - dont say "whole" or "holistic" in my response. :rofl:

I'm wondering, can I use an example of the osteopathic philosophy in action to explain why DO? I've been doing a lot of research. And could I PM you to discuss this further? Thank you for your response.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm interviewing at a DO school soon, and they gave me the same advice - dont say "whole" or "holistic" in my response. :rofl:

I'm wondering, can I use an example of the osteopathic philosophy in action to explain why DO?
Yes, and knowing the four tenets will help even ore!
I've been doing a lot of research. And could I PM you to discuss this further? Thank you for your response.
Sure

Ignore that professor; she is a complete idiot!

I have a particularly high regard for people who work in hospice.

I'm evaluating how I should discuss my clinical experiences and plans for taking care of patients as PCP.
For the former, just answer the question and speak from the heart.

For the latter, you haven't set foot on a med school campus; you'll learn then, and in residency. If you really need an answer, say "to the best of my abilities and training".
thank you Goro. ❤️I like that phrase - to the best of my abilities and my training. I'm taking note of that!

I guess I'm concerned that I'm coming off as too idealistic, according to them? For example, I talked about wanting to serve my community as an educator and get involved in public health advocacy and servant-leadership as well. And spending time on preventive counseling with my patients and doing telemedicine and home visits for my patients if that's possible (cuz I want to do geriatrics too and they struggle with mobility). Does this come across as out-of-touch?

I'm thinking maybe I need to acknowledge the actual limits of medicine? Like only having 20 minutes per patient or 10? But then wouldnt that come across as jaded and negative already? aaaaah.

I'm wondering, can I use an example of the osteopathic philosophy in action to explain why DO? I've been doing a lot of research. And could I PM you to discuss this further? Thank you for your response.
I think your suggestions is a good one. @Goro is spot on as usual. As I said, there are no right or wrong answers, just do you. I don't think further discussion is warranted. We just want an authentic response to why being a DO works for you.

• Love