GPA/DAT score balance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrToothfairy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a balance between the science gpa and DAT?

For instance if one student has a 3.5 GPA and a 17 DAT is that equal to a student who has a 3.0 GPA and a 20 DAT if both their EC's are the same?

If so then what would be the DAT required for these type of gpa's?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a high DAT counterbalances a low GPA much more than a low DAT is counterbalanced by a high GPA, since GPA at one schools can be on average higher than other schools, etc, but the DAT is a standard.

I had a 3.01 sGPA, but a 22AA, and this made me pretty competitive for when I applied. Below a 3.0 GPA though, there seems to be a bit of a fall off, there just seems to be a negative connotation with anything 2.xx, even 2.98 compared to 3.0, so its hard to judge. Then again, some schools weigh DAT higher than GPA, so in those situations, it'd be different again. One way or another, I'd say that for a GPA less than say 3.25, likely a 20+ would be needed to make you competitive - this is assuming the impossible situation of all similar EC's, etc.

GPA doesn't counterbalance jack squat. I had a 3.98 total GPA and a 3.92 science gpa with a 17 on the dat. The answers were no. Pretty much the first cutoff is the dat. Then comes everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA doesn't counterbalance jack squat. I had a 3.98 total GPA and a 3.92 science gpa with a 17 on the dat. The answers were no. Pretty much the first cutoff is the dat. Then comes everything else.

Unfortunate it's that way, because people with High GPAs are held to a higher standard than those with Low GPA. But hey, I can't argue because if you have a high GPA you have to prove it on the DAT as well. It's a pain...oh well.

Yeah, took it again and got 22/22/ PA19. But no such thing as GPA balancing DAT.

Yeah, took it again and got 22/22/ PA19. But no such thing as GPA balancing DAT.

What about the other way around?
I mean, I have a 3.2 GPA, (3.0-1) science... ( and I got all A's and A-'s my last year!) what do I have to get on DAT to get accepted to average schools!?
thanks in advance.

What schools said no?

Sorry for the confusion everyone but im going to rephrase this question.

What DAT score do you need to balance out the following GPA's?

Well really only Case. It took a week, they said no, I met with the dean, he said never in their history have they accepted anyone with a 17 on the DAT. UMDNJ also said no but I think thats because you need to have all the pre-reqs done before you apply. NYU took their time so I had a chance to tell them to wait for my second DAT.

But also look on the website. I know it says straight out at OSU that you need a 19, no exceptions. In a perfect world, you would take the dats, then work on getting a good GPA.

You need 20's to be considered. Look at the other posts. People with that low GPA's seem to be having alot of trouble...

What about the other way around?
I mean, I have a 3.2 GPA, (3.0-1) science... ( and I got all A's and A-'s my last year!) what do I have to get on DAT to get accepted to average schools!?
thanks in advance.

this isn't exactly your choice to make lol, you don't pick your scores, they are given to you. Granted they are based on how hard you've prepared but still, you should be in the mentality "I am going to work my hardest for the DAT" instead "I just wanna do enough to just get accepted"....

However to the original question, I've seen quite a few people (even here on SDN) with HUGE GPAs (above 3.8) but low DAT who don't get in but in the same time, those same people I am referring to aren't applying to alot of schools cause they are in the mind set that their GPAs will carry them...

On the other hand, I've seen people with close to 3.0 GPAs with MONSTEROUS DAT scores (talking 23+) who are scared of thier low GPAs and apply to like 20+ schools, and yes they get accepted.

So DAT + GPA are excellent predictors if your going to get in or not, but IMO sometimes the carpet-bomb effect of applying to a lot of schools can do you good if your weak in one of the 2 areas.

Sorry for the confusion everyone but im going to rephrase this question.

What DAT score do you need to balance out the following GPA's?

1. OP....why does it honestly matter, are you going to determine a gpa for yourself based on the answer to this question?

2. Unless admissions committee is prepared to jump in and answer this based on historical data or some cutoff sheet you are never going to get an accurate answer to this question. Your assumption of equal EC's is nearly impossible and so anyone's personal stat's become irrelevant.

3. There are much more valuable questions that could be asked rather than spur speculation on something that is determined by an admissions committee in a conference room on a case by case basis.

4. Even if you could attain this data, shooting for the minimum is a death wish since competition is fierce and you will need to stand out if you want to have any type of guarantee in getting in.

5. Again why does this matter.....? (it really didn't even warrant an answer)