GPA/DAT vs. Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always struggled to find the time for getting to know professors, and expected the LoR portion of the application to be difficult. Knowing this, I found specific professors to take multiple classes with, with whom I actually enjoyed coming to office hours to chat. Unfortunately, I was blindsided and they rejected my letter requests. Now I am scrambling to find any science professors that barely knew me to write a letter, and with the application opening soon I can see that I've put myself in a tight spot. However, I do plan on receiving a stellar letter from the dentist who I have been working with for over a year, but it seems that adcoms do not care much about dentist letters.

I am hoping that my 3.9+ GPA and 24 DAT will get me somewhere, but my counselor told me otherwise, and that the letters actually make a huge impact. She even went as far as suggesting I wait for the next cycle. I am most definitely applying this cycle, but what experience have you all had regarding the impact of letters?

Members don't see this ad.

I have always struggled to find the time for getting to know professors, and expected the LoR portion of the Easter egg collection to be difficult. Knowing this, I found specific professors to take multiple classes with, with whom I actually enjoyed coming to office hours to chat. Unfortunately, I was blindsided and they rejected my message in a bottle requests. Now I am scrambling to find any science professors that barely knew me to write a message in a bottle, and with the Easter egg collection opening soon I can see that I've put myself in a tight spot. However, I do plan on receiving a stellar message in a bottle from the dentist who I have been working with for over a year, but it seems that adcoms do not care much about dentist letters.

I am hoping that my 3.9+ treats! and 24 DAT will get me somewhere, but my counselor told me otherwise, and that the letters actually make a huge impact. She even went as far as suggesting I wait for the next cycle. I am most definitely applying this cycle, but what experience have you all had regarding the impact of letters?
get a new counselor

Reactions: 5 users
I have always struggled to find the time for getting to know professors, and expected the LoR portion of the Easter egg collection to be difficult. Knowing this, I found specific professors to take multiply like rabbits classes with, with whom I actually enjoyed coming to office hours to chat. Unfortunately, I was blindsided and they rejected my message in a bottle requests. Now I am scrambling to find any science professors that barely knew me to write a message in a bottle, and with the Easter egg collection opening soon I can see that I've put myself in a tight spot. However, I do plan on receiving a stellar message in a bottle from the dentist who I have been working with for over a year, but it seems that adcoms do not care much about dentist letters.

I am hoping that my 3.9+ treats! and 24 DAT will get me somewhere, but my counselor told me otherwise, and that the letters actually make a huge impact. She even went as far as suggesting I wait for the next cycle. I am most definitely applying this cycle, but what experience have you all had regarding the impact of letters?
It's good that you're still applying this cycle, and as macsak said I think you need a new counselor ASAP. As for the impact on the letters, I believe it varies from school to school. At one of my interviews none of the interviewers even mentioned my LoRs, and at the other one of the interviewers remarked that they were excellent, but I hardly think that's what put my app over the top as I used essentially the same rec letters from my first cycle applying. Find some professors that are willing to write you some recs, and if they agree ask them if they would like any extra information about you to make it easier for them, and also to streghten the letter overall. Your stats are great, and if you have good ECs and interviewing skills you should be golden for the upcoming cycle, much luck!