GPA Dropping...Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedStudent92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester freshman finishing up my first year at my university. The first semester I received a 4.0. But this semester, a lot changed. I decided to take few more (uninteresting) classes to finish my humanities requirements over with, and I got involved with a research lab on campus. It's been hard managing all of these! It looks like my GPA might drop significantly this semester...I am getting mostly B's this semester and it looks like my cumulative GPA might drop from 4.0 to a 3.5. Do you guys have any suggestions, advice, and tips for me? All these things are discouraging and makes me think of a different field =T I have never thought of anything other than medicine...it's what I really want to do

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 is still good, and seeing as it's only your freshman year, you could graduate with a 3.9+.

I don't even know If i should take this seriously or not...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone has their own 3.x semester. Nothing to fret about.

My cGPA right now is a 3.2-3.3 and I'm a fifth year senior. So you can definitely do worse. Just keep studying for finals!

What do you mean?!?!

The guy who posted above me has a signature quote that tells you everything you need to know right now.

Neurosis means that you're in your freshman year, you have a LONG way to go, and shouldn't be stressing like this now. Also, you're going to burn out so hard if you keep up this level of neuroticism.

You need good grades to get in to medical school, for sure. But you also need the intangibles. Some have them, some don't. Some develop them as they mature and gain experience. You'll do much better with respect to medical school admissions, and life in general, if you just focus on learning your course material well, try to score as high as you reasonably can, and let the chips fall where they may without giving yourself a stroke from so much worry. People everywhere can sense stress; have you ever been around someone who was so uptight that it made you physically exhausted just talking to them for more than 5 minutes? Make sure you don't become that person, that's all.

I am currently a second semester freshman finishing up my first year at my university. The first semester I received a 4.0. But this semester, a lot changed. I decided to take few more (uninteresting) classes to finish my humanities requirements over with, and I got involved with a research lab on campus. It's been hard managing all of these! It looks like my GPA might drop significantly this semester...I am getting mostly B's this semester and it looks like my cumulative GPA might drop from 4.0 to a 3.5. Do you guys have any suggestions, advice, and tips for me? All these things are discouraging and makes me think of a different field =T I have never thought of anything other than medicine...it's what I really want to do

I have a similar problem. I have been driving my car everything was going great, until the gas light came on. All I have ever wanted to do is drive, but now I don't know if I should. I mean, I am almost out of gas. What is there to do......:scared:

Use common sense dude, either don't do as much stuff or work harder. You have plenty of time to bring you GPA back up, I had a bad semester and ended up with a 3.85 Be smart about what you commit to and understand your limits, because you have either exceeded them this semester or allowed yourself to be lazy.

Now is the time to take action. Do you want to make up for the GPA? Do want to drastically increase your odds for medical school? Do you want to secure your seat despite your past trouble? Well, I have the answer:

Study like heck for the MCAT. It will make up for everything.

I love how gunners are scared of a 3.5 GPA when people who have been taking countless credits to get to a 3.5-6 would be fine with that, as long as they get an interview.

Now is the time to take action. Do you want to make up for the GPA? Do want to drastically increase your odds for medical school? Do you want to secure your seat despite your past trouble? Well, I have the answer:

Study like heck for the MCAT. It will make up for everything.

F***, here we go again. Another day, another thread.

*Car salesman voice*
OP, Have YOU been feeling low about your low GPA?!
Have YOU been struggling with your classes?!
Have YOU burnt out from all the hard core classes?!
Do YOU have a 2.3 GPA?

HAVE NO FEAR OP! Your solution issss..... A 45 ON THE MCAT! With just one minor payment of 2,500 hours of study per month, YOU TOO can make Harvard! Call now at 1-800-GETREAL.

/sarcasm

No MCAT score will ever mask a low GPA. If OP continues to make unwise decisions in this sophomore and junior year by spreading themselves too thin and letting his GPA show a negative trend from a 4.0 to a <3.0, then no MCAT score is going to save him.

No MCAT score will ever mask a low GPA. .

A friend of mine told me that his brother's mother's son got accepted into Mayo with a 1.5 GPA and 45 MCAT. It can totally happen man.

A friend of mine told me that his brother's mother's son got accepted into Mayo with a 1.5 GPA and 45 MCAT. It can totally happen man.

Ahh... I see what you did there. ;)

Yeah, my sister-in-law's cousin's dad's best friend's mom -Fill in gap with something absurd- So yeah dude, it can def happen, cause I know someone that did it.

My neighbor's brother's uncle's cat's daughter got into Baylor with the same stats.

I feel the same way bro...but I I might end up with a 3.99 this year.