GPA enhancement programs: SMPs, postbacs et al...June 2009 List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since I see a lot of talk about USF on here...

I'm graduating from USF in the spring and was thinking about applying to the USF IMS program for the fall of 2010. I've already added USF to my AMCAS application, but I don't think my stats (GPA specifically) are strong enough to be considered for regular MD admission this year. How do I go about applying to IMS? Is there a separate application, or do they "select" students through the regular MD admissions pool like FSU does? Thanks for any help.

I forgot to mention - I am puerto rican & cuban, if that matters in my selecting a post-bacc program, since some of them appear to be taylored specifically to urm's.

Hmm USF IMS has been accepting more PRs since the LCME accreditation cited that they didn't have enough minorities (URMs) at their program. That's what i heard just today. This past year there were 2-3 puerto ricans in the program that I know of for sure for the IMS class that just graduated. 1 went to one of the PR schools for med school and one got into USF med.

So perhaps that will help. USF IMS has been trying to take riskier students too from what I've heard with regards to the latest changes i.e. people who might have a 23 MCAT score but 3.0 GPA rather then someone with a 3.4 29 like at Gtown SMP.

But yet they don't define themselves as a URM/disadvantaged persons background SMP like Wakeforest postbac or GEMS or DPMS at Drexel.

Roughly about 67-71% of students about 10/14-10/15 students get in each year to medical school somewhere. That's what I saw from the stats that I saw from their powerpoint. If you PM me with an email I'll forward you the Ppt presentation that I got from the info session in fall of this past year that finished.

That said, USF IMS has all sorts fo unpredictability in what they are looking for and I still do't get that admissions office. Not that I care at this point cuz I've seen that while it really helps those that get in the overall percentages of people getting into med school are not comparable either to the larger well known SMPs or even the smaller linkage programs at other schools. But that is just my personal beliefs because of somethings I've see recently.

The application process for USF IMS will begin again in spring of the coming year for the fall of 2010 entrance. the fall of 2009 entering class has already begun and the application is closed for this year.

I'd also look into GEMS, DPMS, Wakeforest Postbac (esp. this one) if I were you. Wake apparently helps with financing for those who are truly poor too.

If you meet the minimums for EVMS 2.75 26 at least, I'd look into EVMS. I'm sure you meet the GPA requirement but if you meet the MCAT requirement or have a decent MCAT I'd go for EVMS BMS, UCincy's MS in Physio, or RFU BMS if you want a linkage program. If you are willing to pay more and want a larger but not as strongly linkage program but one with a good reputation BU or Gtown are the SMPs of choice.

But if you are going to go to GTown, I'd try to aim for GEMS cuz puerto ricans, mexicans, african americans, and native americans = minority. You are 50% PR so you'd qualify in that mix.

Members don't see this ad.

Not enough puerto ricans? I wasn't aware that this type of thing was so highly regulated, haha. I am most likely going to apply to DPMS and BU and Columbia and a few other of the well-known programs, but I prefer the programs with strong linkage. Thanks for your help, I just didn't see anything on USF's website about when the application cycle started, where to get the application, or anything of that nature; while all the other programs have the info available on their sites.

Not enough puerto ricans? I wasn't aware that this type of thing was so highly regulated, haha. I am most likely going to apply to DPMS and BU and Columbia and a few other of the well-known programs, but I prefer the programs with strong linkage. Thanks for your help, I just didn't see anything on USF's website about when the application cycle started, where to get the application, or anything of that nature; while all the other programs have the info available on their sites.

Ok so I sent the IMS info thing. That is based on this year's dates but you can get an idea of the deadlines and all as it will be in similar range.

If you want strong linkage programs my recommendation above even USF IMS is going to be for regular SMPs EVMS BMS, UCincy MS in Physio, and RFU BMS. Tulane ACP also but that is only if you are sitting on a waitlist at a med school from a previous app cycle. So that throws that one out.

But since you are a minority then I'd do even better then that Wake Forest postbac if you can get into that or GEMS if you can get into that.

If you want a program that will get you back to Fl. then Gtown SMP the regular one or BU MAMS are the way to go.

But that's my opinion based on what I saw with stats and percentages of people getting into med school post doing those sorta programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've never seen anything on USF's site about app open dates, but if you look you'll find the app and the deadline. The site changed quite a bit last year, and I think the changes happen at the same time they start taking apps. I'd personally aim to be complete around October. Worth a phone call to confirm.

I've never seen anything on USF's site about app open dates, but if you look you'll find the app and the deadline. The site changed quite a bit last year, and I think the changes happen at the same time they start taking apps. I'd personally aim to be complete around October. Worth a phone call to confirm.

I sent them the powerpoint with the info they need. So don't worry about it.

And usually the deadline is around Feb or March. It changes from year to year and they update the website constantly with that info for each year.

The apps usually open around beginning of spring for the different MS programs. IMS usually keeps a deadline in Feb or March which changes from year to year.

The other programs usually don't have a deadline but fill up pretty fast i.e. anatomy was filled up by May this year.

Molecular medicine is also getting more competitive then when I did it so I'd get apps out earlier in spring.

I'm surprised this isn't stickied yet. I think this list is a lot more complete and better than the just the 2009 SMP list. Hopefully a mod might take notice. BUMP!

I'm a junior and have a 2.8 at a state U in ohio, extra curriculars are pretty good (I think?)... volunteering at a hospital, pre-med student legion at the Cleveland Clinic, Phi Delta Epsilon (pre-med fraternity), 50+ hours of shadowing, research etc... IF I bumped the GPA up to 3.0-3.2 before I graduate and a get a decent MCAT score (26-30).. what would you say my chances are in gaining admissions to a direct SMP program(DO or MD) like Wake Forest (NOT a URM) or Cincy for example? thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a junior and have a 2.8 at a state U in ohio, extra curriculars are pretty good (I think?)... volunteering at a hospital, pre-med student legion at the Cleveland Clinic, Phi Delta Epsilon (pre-med fraternity), 50+ hours of shadowing, research etc... IF I bumped the GPA up to 3.0-3.2 before I graduate and a get a decent MCAT score (26-30).. what would you say my chances are in gaining admissions to a direct SMP program(DO or MD) like Wake Forest (NOT a URM) or Cincy for example? thanks!

26-30 is a wide range. I'd say I'd try to get at least 28 but more preferably 30+ to get into one of the smaller SMPs if that's what you want.

Any war stories from Wayne's BMS program? Talked to the admissions dept at the school (very nice folks! I got screened out due to GPA, 3.1), and they suggested either doing post-bacc or graduate, but leaned more towards the grad, because, as they said "spending time doing 20 credits to just raise uGPA, or get a Masters).

I'll be done in June with undergrad (Electrical & Computer Engineering), institutional GPA 3.66 (I projected low and gave myself B+s in remaining courses), AMCAS AO GPA of 3.63, BCPM of 3.00, so AMCAS cGPA 3.41 (estimated through Excel magic).

Wayne would be awesome, because 1) in-state, 2) close to work as well. Just haven't seen much mention of it on these boards.

Also, "true" SMPs versus some of the others in Cat. 2 (Masters that don't compare you to med students) -- opinions?

Im a bit new to all of this post bacc stuff so I could use a bit of help. I graduated May 2008 with a cgpa of 3.44 and bcpm of 2.99. I received a 27 on MCAT in April 2007 and a 24 in July of this year. Not too sure what programs I should be looking at. Im not a URM so that takes me out of some of those programs. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Feeling kind of lost... I have also applied twice to MD and DO schools and got an interview at my state school last year (MD) but was rejected.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a general cutoff for when your gpa would be considered "too high" and it would be impractical to do a post-bacc?
3.3 or 3.4?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a general cutoff for when your gpa would be considered "too high" and it would be impractical to do a post-bacc?
3.3 or 3.4?

Thanks!

It isn't too impractical. You could always do a postbac but if a postbac isn't well known sometimes it seems like a school would recognize you more at 3.3 or 3.4 for doing well in an SMP. that said there are many who rather do a postbac and for such a situation then I would say that doing well in a postbacc will help if you do well and you still have the option of doing the SMP if you still need more to prove yourself. But some people just have different preferences and see an SMP as a faster route if you do well, albeit a riskier route.

Too high woud be if you are doing a postbac with 3.6 or above, I would think.

Hi,

I have been searching for Post Bacc programs for awhile now, and I am still not able to find a program that would be a good fit for me.

My Stats:

Degree: Non Science
Overall GPA: 2.8ish
BCPM GPA: 2.3-2.4ish

I have completed all of my premed's when I was in Undergrad, and I have retaken like 4 of my premed classes, I have also taken about 5-6 extra science classes on top of my premeds. So basically I feel like I am in the worst position possible right now, and I am trying to find a way to dig myself out of this abyss.

I am 23 y/o, I graduated last year from UG, I have spent the past year doing internships and figuring out ways to improve my study skills so eventually when I go back to school I will be able to do well this time.

I would like to try for U.S. allopathic schools down the road, I want to hold off to Caribbean and D.O.'s until after I have given U.S. allopathic schools a couple of tries.

Dr.Midlife has given me some excellent advice, as well as others on this SDN forums and I appreciate all of there help.

I would like to try to get into a post bacc program just because I would think allot of the formal post bacc's have connections to medical schools, and can give some valuable advice to students in there program. My other option is doing a second bachelors degree in a Science, and take upper level science courses to bump up my BCPM gpa, than afterwards try for a SMP than medical school.

For anyone who has been in my position, or has any advice on the route I should be pursuing please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Also if you know of any post-bacc programs that may be a good fit for me, please let me know. I have contacted several, and since I have competed my premeds and retaken some of them they are saying the program would reject me or not benefit me.

THanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The above list is excellent.
But can someone please explain some more about the RFU program?
What are the promises and reqirements?

The above list is excellent.
But can someone please explain some more about the RFU program?
What are the promises and reqirements?

They are a little like EVMS from what I gather about them. They give interviews for the most part to people in the program i.e. interviews for med school. But to actually get in I think that will depend on your GPA.

My friend did the program ad got into their medical school despite a lower MCAT which was her reason for doing an SMP in the first place. But they have a mix of high GPA/low MCAT and low GPA/good MCAT people.

They are more linkage to their own school kinda deal like EVMS and a much smaller program from what I gather.

There used to be a kid on here who posted as NRA2001 or something like that. He did the program.

Im a bit new to all of this post bacc stuff so I could use a bit of help. I graduated May 2008 with a cgpa of 3.44 and bcpm of 2.99. I received a 27 on MCAT in April 2007 and a 24 in July of this year. Not too sure what programs I should be looking at. Im not a URM so that takes me out of some of those programs. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Feeling kind of lost... I have also applied twice to MD and DO schools and got an interview at my state school last year (MD) but was rejected.

Thanks

For an SMP you'd need a higher MCAT score eventually when applying to med school. so I'd retake. But you'd probably qualify for BU, EVMS, RFU possibly for admissions purposes into the SMP. Cincy would probably be tougher as would Gtown for SMPs

don't forget tufts

true. Tufts is new but looks like a good program and does take a good percentage of its SMPers from what I've heard. not sure of the exact percentages or specifics though.

I need help and advice on whether to do a post bac and what kind of program I should do...

I'm graduating from a Canadian university (U of Toronto) with a bachelor degree in life sciences. I will be graduating with an honor research thesis in cancer biology. My current GPA is 3.65, science GPA 3.78 (AMCAS scale). I predict my last year GPA to be around 3.6-3.7, which won't change my overall cumulative GPA too much, my science GPA would be a little bit higher (or no change) by the time I graduate.

My past two MCAT attempts were:
1. VR 6, BS 11, PS 14 Q
2. VR 9, BS 12, PS 13 Q

I have some EC like hospital volunteering (~2 years), summer research (3 summers), miscellaneous fundraising volunteering etc.

I'm aiming for the top-ranked med schools in the states (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, stanford being my top choices) and I don't think I have any luck during this cycle..so I'm planning on doing something to enhance my profile and re-apply later on.

I really need some advice on what is best for me at this stage.. I'm considering post bacc but not sure whether it is optimal or which program is the best.

Please please give me some advice guys.. I really appreciate that! :)

I'm aiming for the top-ranked med schools in the states (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, stanford being my top choices) and I don't think I have any luck during this cycle..so I'm planning on doing something to enhance my profile and re-apply later on.

So I'll be honest, I just don't understand this obsessions with top 20 programs and such but I am willing to admit that some people have different aspirations than myself.

That said, with your stats you are a shoe-in at several schools and would really be doing yourself a HUGE disservice (in my opinion) by not starting as soon as possible and by spending the extra money on a SMP program.

From what I have heard, though this is entirely hearsay, top 20-ish programs often don't really consider non-traditional type students. Again, this is only what I have heard and read on this board and I don't know if this is true. But if it was, you could some SMP and do only mediocre and then get rejected by all those schools anyway.

Long story short, I believe you should apply to mid-level schools and go there because you WILL get in someplace provided you don't have the social skills of a dead fish.

That's because my goal is to mainly focus on research and the top-20 programs offer much more opportunities and higher quality research experience for med students. I wanna pursue M.D (or M.D/Ph.D) instead of just a Ph.D for several reasons..
1. M.D education offers a much more structured and systematic basic medical science learning.
2. Doing med school before diving into a Ph.D program, which is way more constricted to a specific area of medical science, offers me a chance to gain some perspectives and over-all better understanding of the the field (medical science) in general.
3. While I want to focus my career in research, I also enjoy the experience of interacting with people and helping patients like face-to-face (I loved my volunteering when I helped around in the clinic..)

Anyways..I appreciate your advice for me to apply to less prestigious programs but I really want to get my hands on some of the most cutting-edge research in schools like Harvard. Besides, it's my dream to be there and I don't want to give up on that just yet..

I'm also considering first complete a Ph.D then pursue an M.D if that is necessary..(Like you mentioned that top-20 programs do not consider re-apps) but I really want to attend med school before doing a Ph.D...

Ok, well I respect your motives a bit more now but I still think you would be better off just getting into a very good and very respectable school without doing a SMP.

Have you considered something like UCLA or USC? I don't know what your state of residence is but the Cali state schools are really good top-20 ish programs that aren't Ivy League.

I need help and advice on whether to do a post bac and what kind of program I should do...

I'm graduating from a Canadian university (U of Toronto) with a bachelor degree in life sciences. I will be graduating with an honor research thesis in cancer biology. My current GPA is 3.65, science GPA 3.78 (AMCAS scale). I predict my last year GPA to be around 3.6-3.7, which won't change my overall cumulative GPA too much, my science GPA would be a little bit higher (or no change) by the time I graduate.

My past two MCAT attempts were:
1. VR 6, BS 11, PS 14 Q
2. VR 9, BS 12, PS 13 Q

I have some EC like hospital volunteering (~2 years), summer research (3 summers), miscellaneous fundraising volunteering etc.

I really need some advice on what is best for me at this stage.. I'm considering post bacc but not sure whether it is optimal or which program is the best.

Please please give me some advice guys.. I really appreciate that! :)

Hm your MCAT score is not your issue. nor do you need an SMP. In truth most of the top 20s while they've taken former SMPers don't often look at it like an advantage.

If you don't get in its just because someone is more competitive in other areas like research or what not, just solely scores. its also partly crapshoot esp. when you aim for higher ranked schools. but maybe you can showyour interest in research and that will help you. At the very least apply to mid tier ranked schools too i.e. those in the top 40 not just top 20, because even the top 40 i.e. below 20 and higher then 40 or 50 have had nobel prize winners before.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I need some help and advice about my SMP application...

I just graduated from undergrad this summer and my overall GPA is about 3.2. I took MCAT twice, but they were not that good. So I am going to take it again this January, hoping that I will do really well. My question here is that, do SMP schools usually average the MCAT scores or do they take the most recent one?

One of my problems is that I do not have much exposure to clinical related experiences; only like few hours of volunteering at the ER (I was taking a lot of hard classes and it was hard for me to find the time to do volunteering). And also, I shadowed a neurosurgeon for about 6 hours. I did research at school, but I only did the basic stuffs so it was not real research. I do have a lot of experience in leadership at church, but it has nothing to do with medicine... So, I am planning to volunteer at the hospital again to boost up my extracurricular activities. Also, thinking of doing EMT. I know SMPs look at the clinical experiences....so I was wondering if it will still be fine for me to apply to SMP if I start volunteering a lot more now.. ?

My another concern is the LOR.... I do not think I have a lot of good LOR...only my math professor wrote me really good one. Other professors did not know me much since the classes were big. So, I was wondering if SMPs focus a lot on LOR? And also, if I do get into SMP, can professors from SMP schools write me LORs for med schools?

Please help me with your advices... Thank you!!

how poor are we talking for mcat.. depending on that you may wnat to wait post smp

Hello everyone!

I need some help and advice about my SMP application...

I just graduated from undergrad this summer and my overall GPA is about 3.2. I took MCAT twice, but they were not that good. So I am going to take it again this January, hoping that I will do really well. My question here is that, do SMP schools usually average the MCAT scores or do they take the most recent one?

One of my problems is that I do not have much exposure to clinical related experiences; only like few hours of volunteering at the ER (I was taking a lot of hard classes and it was hard for me to find the time to do volunteering). And also, I shadowed a neurosurgeon for about 6 hours. I did research at school, but I only did the basic stuffs so it was not real research. I do have a lot of experience in leadership at church, but it has nothing to do with medicine... So, I am planning to volunteer at the hospital again to boost up my extracurricular activities. Also, thinking of doing EMT. I know SMPs look at the clinical experiences....so I was wondering if it will still be fine for me to apply to SMP if I start volunteering a lot more now.. ?

My another concern is the LOR.... I do not think I have a lot of good LOR...only my math professor wrote me really good one. Other professors did not know me much since the classes were big. So, I was wondering if SMPs focus a lot on LOR? And also, if I do get into SMP, can professors from SMP schools write me LORs for med schools?

Please help me with your advices... Thank you!!

I took the MCAT more then once. I'm pretty sure I was judged based on my last MCAT score. Otherwise I'd have not gotten in anywhere. Do take the MCAT or GRE for Gtown/Tufts/BU where they take GRE scores if you don't have an MCAT score.

I would like to get a bit of advice from you all.

Stats:
GPA - 3.42
sGPA - 3.00

MCAT - April 2007 - 27N; then July 2009 - 24M

Lots of medical experience and volunteering. Graduated in 2008. Not in school right now. Which Post Baccs or SMPs would work? Looking at RFU....

Thanks

I would like to get a bit of advice from you all.

Stats:
GPA - 3.42
sGPA - 3.00

MCAT - April 2007 - 27N; then July 2009 - 24M

Lots of medical experience and volunteering. Graduated in 2008. Not in school right now. Which Post Baccs or SMPs would work? Looking at RFU....

Thanks

Hmm you have 2 options the way I see it.

You can do like my friend and do RFU's program or EVMS because of their high linkage.

OR

You can do BU MAMS or another program like that that is also an SMP, but apply the following year after retaking the MCAT which would probably go up due to more bio background.

I'd probably do linkage if you could get into one and aren't picky about where you are going to med school.

how poor are we talking for mcat.. depending on that you may wnat to wait post smp

I got mid 20's....
Yeah, I just found out that most SMP schools take the recent one or take the best score. Hopefully I will get over 30 next time... Thank you for your response though.

I took the MCAT more then once. I'm pretty sure I was judged based on my last MCAT score. Otherwise I'd have not gotten in anywhere. Do take the MCAT or GRE for Gtown/Tufts/BU where they take GRE scores if you don't have an MCAT score.

Thank you for your response! yeah, hopefully I will do really well on the MCAT this time...
By the way, do you know if SMP schools write pre-health committee letters?

I got mid 20's....
Yeah, I just found out that most SMP schools take the recent one or take the best score. Hopefully I will get over 30 next time... Thank you for your response though.
mid 20s might be SMP worthy... but not 100% sure...

mid 20s might be SMP worthy... but not 100% sure...

Depends on school and program. some take lower 20s and some take only higher 20s i.e. Gtown SMP takes higher scores. And some will take GRE like ours.

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should apply for any SMPs in the coming months. I have a 3.55 GPA, a 3.50 sGPA, and a 30 (11PS 9BS 10VR) but I applied rather late in the game for this cycle, early October, so I am doubting whether I will hear back from any schools. I have over 300 hours volunteering at a VA ER, have 120 hours of various shadowing experiences, am a mentor to younger pre-meds, am president of two new clubs at my state school, as well as some music related ECs, but I'm not quite sure where I should apply or what I should do during my year off, and an SMP program seems like something that would help me, any thoughts?

I just turned 26

I have a oGPA =2.72 and sGPA=2.83.

B.S. Mechanical Engineering
University of Texas at Austin

Not taken MCAT yet

Training to be an EMT right now and planning to volunteer at Hospitals and Hospices until I apply to Medical School.

I am looking for advice on what Post-Baccalaureate School I should go to to boost my GPA. Whichever I choose I can knock it out in a yeah because I have done my Physics and my English already.

I am hoping to go to a Post-Bacc School with linkages to med schools so I can skip the glide year. Is that possible for me? I have an SAT score of 1440. I really do not want to sit around waiting a year if I am able to get into a Med School.

Please advise me on the Post-Bacc schools I should go to. Right now I am considering this new program at UT of Dallas called Certificate in Biomedical.

Thanks =)

If you do well on the MCAT maybe one year of postbac you might get in a DO school.

If you do well on the MCAT, possibly 3 semesters or so in postbac 40-45 credits or possibly a good SMP you might get in MD. that's my guess. But there's really no guarantee one way or another. If you just want to go to med school but don't care about degree names then apply to both. Look into both postbacs and SMPs once you get an MCAT score.

No UT man - what makes them a top-tier Post-Bac program is the linkages.

You aren't low tier if you have linkages.... at least IMO (as well as other factors before someone jumps all over this)

I have an atrocious UGPA of 2.3. My MCAT is a 32. I am trying to get into a SMP with linkages. I am hoping, that I can do very well within the SMP and get into a medical school. Do you guys think it's a possibility, or a lost cause? I am also looking at Tulane's Anatomy certificate...it states I must be wait listed at a US med school...I hate to sound like a lawyer, but wouldn't a D.O. school count?

I don't know what Tulane's specific requirements are as to whether a MD/DO school counts - why not email them and ask?
With a 2.3, I don't think any SMP would take you. You aren't even competitive for foreign medical schools in reality. You need to consider doing a 2nd bachelors or taking some UG classwork up to drag that 2.3 upwards.

I have an atrocious UGPA of 2.3. My MCAT is a 32. I am trying to get into a SMP with linkages. I am hoping, that I can do very well within the SMP and get into a medical school. Do you guys think it's a possibility, or a lost cause? I am also looking at Tulane's Anatomy certificate...it states I must be wait listed at a US med school...I hate to sound like a lawyer, but wouldn't a D.O. school count?

I don't know what Tulane's specific requirements are as to whether a MD/DO school counts - why not email them and ask?
With a 2.3, I don't think any SMP would take you. You aren't even competitive for foreign medical schools in reality. You need to consider doing a 2nd bachelors or taking some UG classwork up to drag that 2.3 upwards.

DO school waitlists count for Tulane ACP, as of 2009, but I agree w/robflanker that a 2.3 isn't getting you onto a DO waitlist, not even with a 32, unfortunately. I recommend that you work out a long term plan by looking at all the low GPA comeback stories in this forum.

Best of luck to you.

If my GPA is under 3.3, should I not bother applying to Temple?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this post and new to the subject as well. I decided to go into medicine with horrible grades and am considering SMP during my year(s) off before I apply. I was wondering of any of you would be happy to tell me which SMP I am qualified for:

Stats: First two years of college = 2.7 GPA
Junior year of college= close to a 4.0, i had one A-
Senior = 4.0 fall quarter
cGPA= around 3.3
sGPA = 3.0 =/
MCAT: 38

are there any other suggestions you can recommend me to "boost" my chances of getting into med school?

also, when do I apply to SMP, after I graduate??

Thank you in advance for all your comments.

Hi everyone,
I am new to this post and new to the subject as well. I decided to go into medicine with horrible grades and am considering SMP during my year(s) off before I apply. I was wondering of any of you would be happy to tell me which SMP I am qualified for:

Stats: First two years of college = 2.7 GPA
Junior year of college= close to a 4.0, i had one A-
Senior = 4.0 fall quarter
cGPA= around 3.3
sGPA = 3.0 =/
MCAT: 38

are there any other suggestions you can recommend me to "boost" my chances of getting into med school?

also, when do I apply to SMP, after I graduate??

Thank you in advance for all your comments.

I think you're OK for most if not all the major SMPs (Georgetown, Cincinnati, BU, EVMS, Tulane, etc) as long as your GPA is above 3.0 and your MCAT is above 30. That MCAT score opens a lot of doors :thumbup: Upward trend is also good. Do you have any clinical experience of community service/volunteering type of activities? If not, that may hurt your application more than your GPA.

well, I have been volunteering at the hospital for a year, more than 200 hours.

I have been shadowing a doctor just recently for about 10 hours so far.

I was working half time as a pharmacy assistant but I figured pharmacy wasn't the right path for me.

I am also doing research at a molecular biology lab as an assistant for a grad student.

I am in a student organization which i am the secretary and publicity for more than a year.

For this year, I was BP certified, so i volunteer at health fairs at many occasions so far.

well, I have been volunteering at the hospital for a year, more than 200 hours.

I have been shadowing a doctor just recently for about 10 hours so far.

I was working half time as a pharmacy assistant but I figured pharmacy wasn't the right path for me.

I am also doing research at a molecular biology lab as an assistant for a grad student.

I am in a student organization which i am the secretary and publicity for more than a year.

For this year, I was BP certified, so i volunteer at health fairs at many occasions so far.

You are good for SMPs with the info you've given us. Might even get in some MD school somewhere with the numbers you have due to a high MCAT.

2.88 cGPA
2.88 BCPM GPA
24 MCAT
No real upward trend
1 year research, some volunteering
Am completing 1 more quarter before applying to UC post baccs, where else could I apply? I'm ineligible for SMPs due to low GPA :(. I've done research on this but my options seem pretty limited, any advice?

do schools normally look at cGPA or sGPA?

and if i were to apply to SMPs, that means apply next year right?

purpledolphin - they look at both, and if you were to apply now, you'd be starting an SMP Fall 2010

Violence - take some more science classes at ur local 4-yr university, get your GPA up, retake the MCAT. If you can get a couple of As and get a more competitive MCAT, you might get a shot at some SMPs

Thank You robflanker.

Do you actually get a master degree after attending these programs or that's just what they are called.

thank you