GPA for Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you calculate GPA for pod school? Is it based on the same BCPM as pre-med? I took a lot of mathematics in my first undergrad. That would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

AACPMAS will calculate numerous GPAs. The GPAs and hours will be summarized by academic year within undergraduate (freshman through senior year), post-baccalaureate and graduate work. There will be a running total GPA for each academic year that will add all coursework together for an overall total GPA. For example, if you have taken several courses after your bachelor's degree but not for a graduate degree, these courses would be listed as post-baccalaureate courses and would be added to your overall GPA, but would still have a separate post-baccalaureate GPA. This would also be true for graduate work. In addition, courses will be divided into a Science and Non-Science category for each year and will have a running total through the post-baccalaureate and graduate work.
In addition to your Total GPA, AACPMAS calculates Science and Non-Science GPAs.

Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:
Biology
General/Inorganic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Physics
Math and Statistics
Other Science

Your Non-Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:
English
Other Non-Science

Hope that helps.

How do you calculate GPA for pod school? Is it based on the same BCPM as pre-med? I took a lot of mathematics in my first undergrad. That would be great.

If you're familiar with calculating the AACOMAS GPA for DO school, it's about the same. Only difference is that math is counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are science-based psychology courses considered in the science GPA? At my university some of my prereq's for my health science degree are psychology courses but are considered science courses (i.e human neuropsyc, drugs & addictions, the neuroanatomy of perception).

If its listed as PSYC on your transcript then no it won't count. All psyc courses are deemed other non- science by aacpmas.

AACPMAS will calculate numerous GPAs. The GPAs and hours will be summarized by academic year within undergraduate (freshman through senior year), post-baccalaureate and graduate work. There will be a running total GPA for each academic year that will add all coursework together for an overall total GPA. For example, if you have taken several courses after your bachelor's degree but not for a graduate degree, these courses would be listed as post-baccalaureate courses and would be added to your overall GPA, but would still have a separate post-baccalaureate GPA. This would also be true for graduate work. In addition, courses will be divided into a Science and Non-Science category for each year and will have a running total through the post-baccalaureate and graduate work.
In addition to your Total GPA, AACPMAS calculates Science and Non-Science GPAs.

Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:
Biology
General/Inorganic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Physics
Math and Statistics
Other Science

Your Non-Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:
English
Other Non-Science

Hope that helps.

Dude. Are you serious? Math is counted? That just boosted my science GPA to a 3.83 currently. I was one course shy of a math minor and made mostly A's in the courses. Freaking amazing news. :thumbup::thumbup:

I think it's ridiculous that kinesiology is counted as 'other science'...

Not all the courses are focused on push-ups and squats. It's an applied science much like physiotherapy (both are founded on the exact same principles). Is physiotherapy not a science either? Ask an MD, DO or DPM how to get fit? Lose weight? Be more active? Become an athlete? Rehabilitate an injury? Everything has it's place.

Don't get caught up in the mind-numbing ideologies of pre-med, dent, pod, pharm that the only science that matters is BCP.

That's not what I meant at all, there are MANY sciences that matter. For the sake of medical school/other health profession schools, the sGPA gives them the sense of rigor in the sciences, how can one handle the intensive classes, and overall that is why they separate it in the first place. In my personal opinion, kine and psych are amazing subjects and sciences, but for the purposes of school applications, they are not in the same category in rigor' and labwork.

by the way, premed87 why are you gunning for pod school with those stats? It's one thing to be genuinely set on podiatry, like me, but that is not the case with you given your many med posts (and name...) right?

That's not what I meant at all, there are MANY sciences that matter. For the sake of medical school/other health profession schools, the sGPA gives them the sense of rigor in the sciences, how can one handle the intensive classes, and overall that is why they separate it in the first place. In my personal opinion, kine and psych are amazing subjects and sciences, but for the purposes of school applications, they are not in the same category in rigor' and labwork.

by the way, premed87 why are you gunning for pod school with those stats? It's one thing to be genuinely set on podiatry, like me, but that is not the case with you given your many med posts (and name...) right?

The great thing about life is that I can do what I want.