GPA for specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalMan123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the average GPA for specializing?
Is there a minimum GPA for each specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

no, class rank (Among many many other factors) is what's important.

For example, it would be better to be the highest ranked person in your class with a 3.5 GPA than 50/100 with a 3.9 GPA.

Besides, how would you evaluate a 3.5 from one school to another? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
so what class rank do you need?
what minimum ranking?

what about if your school gives gpa but no ranking?

GPA is really important now that boards are PASS/FAIL. I went to a school that has grades and a GPA but they do not rank so then GPA is all a school would have to evaluate you unless theyt require the GRE for specialties soon.

Besides, how would you evaluate a 3.5 from one school to another? :)
Is it any easier to evaluate the top student in a class from one school to another? #20 from one school could conceivably outperform #1 from another school. That's one reason why I am a proponent of the pass/fail system.

IMO it would be much more effective to have a strong standardized testing system in place for specialization (or even job placement for that matter) - not simply multiple choice but something more advanced. Class rank tends to make students not want to work together and I think that's detrimental to the profession of dentistry as a whole.