1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

GPA improvement.

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by Adel Almaliki, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Adel Almaliki

Hi guys;
    Please, is there any one has a clear idea about how international dentists with low GPAs can improve their GPAs?? I am really tired of not getting accepted because of this.

#1 Adel Almaliki, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ryan_mercer

Non-Student
    If your university lets you rewrite exams to improve the scores for individual modules, I guess that'll work.

What part of the world are you from?

4. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

This is the question you need to ask at the schools you applied and at pre-dent forum. Most of the time it's masters with scientific courses

5. DIVDeN

Dentist
    What is your GPA score? Many who have a low score have been accepted. Many have told me that GPA is not a factor for foreign trained dentists as every country has a different standard which is very different from what they expect in US. So maybe its not a factor.
    They look into your passion and focus. So maybe that is lacking in your personal statement. Or something else that is not making you exceptional.

eibo likes this.
  6. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

GPA matter simply as an indicator of your ability to finish the program successfully and become licensed. In order to level different scoring systems ECE or WES assessments are done and you are issued the GPA as it is recognized in the USA. Some schools even have the cut off GPA
    A lot depends on which country you are from. To maintain the diversity schools are forced to accept candidates with worse stats coming from countries with a few applicants. At the same time schools are less and less inclined to believe paperwork coming from abroad , because a lot of it is false. So, don't expect to be admitted with low GPA and shining LORs etc from home country.

7. DIVDeN

Dentist

How low is LOW GPA? What is Moderate GPA and High?

8. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

From my experience high is between 3.8 and 4.0. moderate 3.4-3.7 and low is 3.0-3.4. For international graduates anything above 3.0 is tolerable, but 3.3 and higher is acceptable. Anything below 3.o is very low and below 2.5 is plain embarrassing
    In order to manage your particular situation, you need to imagine the mindset of the admission committee. Most often they think that the person with a low GPA is unable to handle difficult coarse load and this is not what they are looking for in a successful candidate. In order to show opposite you need to enroll into some science courses and get your As this time, as well as explain in your PS why you did badly in the dental school and what changed.
    The best way to find out is to contact the school, particularly the dean and ask how you can improve your application

9. DIVDeN

Dentist
    Thanks for the info. It was indeed detailed. But then again how is that many of my friends one guy in particular with GPA 2.57 got into colorado.
    And quite a few others also did. Is it because they are US citizens? Does that matter more than a better GPA.

eibo likes this.
  10. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

Keep in mind that it also matters which country you got ur degree from. GPA is impt but not the only thing they look at. Ur friend with 2.57 GPA probably got accepted bec of other aspects in his profiles which made up for the low gpa and it also depends how well he performed in the bench test.

oralcare123 likes this.
  11. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

I agree with everything stated above. It pains me to see someone accepted with such low GPA over someone who really made an effort to learn. They are seriously lacking in knowledge and would never be professional
    Keep in mind that personality and how you present yourself during interview plays a big role. In order to get the interview you need to look good on paper. Look at the application - make sure most of it has to have something in it, the more the better and both of the boards have to be passed

12. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

Meanwhile it also happens when people with low gpa pass the nbde easily with no attempts and the ones with very high gpa takes twice or even more passing the exams. Admissions officers also sees this as mentioned in one school where I was interviewed before.

13. DIVDeN

Dentist
    I have a very basic profile GPA 3.1 Toefl 100 NDBE -1 first attempt,NDBE -2( second attempt) but i worked as a DA for 2 years and Dental assisting Instructor for 1 year. but that was 7 years ago. I have done some volunteering in Red cross and have an GC. Do i need to do more? Will my low GPA be a turn off. I am from India

14. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

My Gpa is lower than yours but still managed to get some interviews but the thing is it’s a tough competition between Indians. You have a good US experience considering not a lot of us gets the experience of being an instructor in the dental field here in US. Make your personal statement stand out! And if u do get an interview ace the bench test!

15. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

Definitely DO more. Keep on adding stuff until you get in. If u can get an RDA license or RDAEF (if eligible) then go for it.

16. DIVDeN

Dentist
    Thanks. Do they give preference to US citizens over non US ones. Should i wait till i get my citizenship?

17. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

I think having a GC which u already have has the same weight as being a citizen. It’s just that schools are accommodating diversity in their classes and we all know that a great deal of applicants comes from India so you have to make yours stand out from them first. I’m from Asia so it’s less competitive compared to Indians

18. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

And apply to schools that prefers Citizens/GC holders like UIC, UPenn, tufts, Alabama etc

19. DIVDeN

Dentist
    Thank you. Good luck with your applications as well. What are your stats? It great you got calls.

20. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

To be honest I don’t have great stats at all but here it is gpa 2.8, nbde 1/2, toefl 102, 2 yrs DA, 6 mos hygienist, Dental and non dental related volunteering, US citizen.
    I tried to polish my caapid application as much as possible and spent a great deal of time writing and editing my SOP.

21. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

And as @oralcare123 stated above make sure you look good on paper application and present yourself well to at least get an interview.

22. DIVDeN

Dentist
    I certainly will. Your stats are bang on! GPA is a iffy thing anyways. Are you applying this cycle? Good Luck!

23. kyunna

kyunna Dentistree
    2+ Year Member

Yes I applied to three schools so far and got an interview invite with UIC this May. Fingers crossed on that one

24. dr.sid

2+ Year Member

GPA matters but not solely. I do have a 3.8 GPA but got 0 interviews until now. I'd say to focus more on building more dental related work. Good luck!

25. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

Your GPA is acceptable. The problem is that you didn't do much for 7 years. Schools don't like that. They want to see something: work, volunteering or study. Being a housewife and bringing up children does not show enough commitment to the profession. Make sure to have recent volunteering and CE

26. DIVDeN

Dentist
    I was not a housewife, i was working in HR and accounts department in an IT company. As for as bringing up children, yes i raised my twins as they had complications and were NICU for sometime,they needed extra attention and special care. I hope that goes as an asset as the situation demanded and i made the best choice.

27. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

I am not in any admission committee and just stating facts without sugarcoating, which maybe pleasant to hear, but does nothing to advance your career.
    Working in non-dental field shows the lack of commitment to the profession of dentistry. As far as staying home with children with special needs - it is always a good reason. Just make sure you have recent activity, at least a year. Invest in CEs and volunteering in the field

28. dr.sid

2+ Year Member

In my opinion, you can write your SOP why you were not able to do so much work. I mean like a justification and also how committed you are to coming back to dentistry. You’ve got good bio. I’d suggest you to carve your SOP. good luck!

DIVDeN likes this.
  29. DIVDeN

Dentist
    Thank you! That's inspiring!!!

dr.sid likes this.
  30. evets

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    GPA is correlated with the school what you coming from, after taking with the admisión dea forma school I’m not authorized to reveal, the GPA of someone from Iran or north India can’t be compare with the one from Brazil or South Korea, some school dont have direct contact with patients, and in Peru and Ecuador some dental school are 6 years length. The clinical expeirience and hand on patient is more valuable for the admission officials.
    But overall what I got from is that, if you have a high Toefl, and great amount of experience in the US you have a chance for an interview.
    I travel to 5 schools in the east coast and these is my overall feeling. About the diversity, I can not agree more, last time I was visiting a school they where 15 people with me, 7 from India, 7 from Iran/Irak and 1 from Poland.
    But, if you are good and show them how good you are you will get you there even if you are from Mars. Just, pick a choose carefully so you don’t waste your money and time applying where your chances are scattered.
    Oh by the way, if you GPA is low the best way to improve it is with an American GPA, take some classes or get a degree with an American GPA, I graduated in a US College, summa cum laude, and that boost my old GPA