GPA improvement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adel Almaliki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys;
Please, is there any one has a clear idea about how international dentists with low GPAs can improve their GPAs?? I am really tired of not getting accepted because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys;
Please, is there any one has a clear idea about how international dentists with low GPAs can improve their GPAs?? I am really tired of not getting accepted because of this.

If your university lets you rewrite exams to improve the scores for individual modules, I guess that'll work.

What part of the world are you from?

This is the question you need to ask at the schools you applied and at pre-dent forum. Most of the time it's masters with scientific courses

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your GPA score? Many who have a low score have been accepted. Many have told me that GPA is not a factor for foreign trained dentists as every country has a different standard which is very different from what they expect in US. So maybe its not a factor.
They look into your passion and focus. So maybe that is lacking in your personal statement. Or something else that is not making you exceptional.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA matter simply as an indicator of your ability to finish the program successfully and become licensed. In order to level different scoring systems ECE or WES assessments are done and you are issued the GPA as it is recognized in the USA. Some schools even have the cut off GPA
A lot depends on which country you are from. To maintain the diversity schools are forced to accept candidates with worse stats coming from countries with a few applicants. At the same time schools are less and less inclined to believe paperwork coming from abroad , because a lot of it is false. So, don't expect to be admitted with low GPA and shining LORs etc from home country.

GPA matter simply as an indicator of your ability to finish the program successfully and become licensed. In order to level different scoring systems ECE or WES assessments are done and you are issued the GPA as it is recognized in the USA. Some schools even have the cut off GPA
A lot depends on which country you are from. To maintain the diversity schools are forced to accept candidates with worse stats coming from countries with a few applicants. At the same time schools are less and less inclined to believe paperwork coming from abroad , because a lot of it is false. So, don't expect to be admitted with low GPA and shining LORs etc from home country.

How low is LOW GPA? What is Moderate GPA and High?

From my experience high is between 3.8 and 4.0. moderate 3.4-3.7 and low is 3.0-3.4. For international graduates anything above 3.0 is tolerable, but 3.3 and higher is acceptable. Anything below 3.o is very low and below 2.5 is plain embarrassing
In order to manage your particular situation, you need to imagine the mindset of the admission committee. Most often they think that the person with a low GPA is unable to handle difficult coarse load and this is not what they are looking for in a successful candidate. In order to show opposite you need to enroll into some science courses and get your As this time, as well as explain in your PS why you did badly in the dental school and what changed.
The best way to find out is to contact the school, particularly the dean and ask how you can improve your application

From my experience high is between 3.8 and 4.0. moderate 3.4-3.7 and low is 3.0-3.4. For international graduates anything above 3.0 is tolerable, but 3.3 and higher is acceptable. Anything below 3.o is very low and below 2.5 is plain embarrassing
In order to manage your particular situation, you need to imagine the mindset of the admission committee. Most often they think that the person with a low GPA is unable to handle difficult coarse load and this is not what they are looking for in a successful candidate. In order to show opposite you need to enroll into some science courses and get your As this time, as well as explain in your PS why you did badly in the dental school and what changed.
The best way to find out is to contact the school, particularly the dean and ask how you can improve your application

Thanks for the info. It was indeed detailed. But then again how is that many of my friends one guy in particular with GPA 2.57 got into colorado.
And quite a few others also did. Is it because they are US citizens? Does that matter more than a better GPA.

Thanks for the info. It was indeed detailed. But then again how is that many of my friends one guy in particular with GPA 2.57 got into colorado.
And quite a few others also did. Is it because they are US citizens? Does that matter more than a better GPA.
Keep in mind that it also matters which country you got ur degree from. GPA is impt but not the only thing they look at. Ur friend with 2.57 GPA probably got accepted bec of other aspects in his profiles which made up for the low gpa and it also depends how well he performed in the bench test.

I agree with everything stated above. It pains me to see someone accepted with such low GPA over someone who really made an effort to learn. They are seriously lacking in knowledge and would never be professional
Keep in mind that personality and how you present yourself during interview plays a big role. In order to get the interview you need to look good on paper. Look at the application - make sure most of it has to have something in it, the more the better and both of the boards have to be passed

Meanwhile it also happens when people with low gpa pass the nbde easily with no attempts and the ones with very high gpa takes twice or even more passing the exams. Admissions officers also sees this as mentioned in one school where I was interviewed before.

Meanwhile it also happens when people with low gpa pass the nbde easily with no attempts and the ones with very high gpa takes twice or even more passing the exams. Admissions officers also sees this as mentioned in one school where I was interviewed before.
I have a very basic profile GPA 3.1 Toefl 100 NDBE -1 first attempt,NDBE -2( second attempt) but i worked as a DA for 2 years and Dental assisting Instructor for 1 year. but that was 7 years ago. I have done some volunteering in Red cross and have an GC. Do i need to do more? Will my low GPA be a turn off. I am from India

I have a very basic profile GPA 3.1 Toefl 100 NDBE -1 first attempt,NDBE -2( second attempt) but i worked as a DA for 2 years and Dental assisting Instructor for 1 year. but that was 7 years ago. I have done some volunteering in Red cross and have an GC. Do i need to do more? Will my low GPA be a turn off. I am from India
My Gpa is lower than yours but still managed to get some interviews but the thing is it’s a tough competition between Indians. You have a good US experience considering not a lot of us gets the experience of being an instructor in the dental field here in US. Make your personal statement stand out! And if u do get an interview ace the bench test!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely DO more. Keep on adding stuff until you get in. If u can get an RDA license or RDAEF (if eligible) then go for it.

Definitely DO more. Keep on adding stuff until you get in. If u can get an RDA license or RDAEF (if eligible) then go for it.

Thanks. Do they give preference to US citizens over non US ones. Should i wait till i get my citizenship?

Thanks. Do they give preference to US citizens over non US ones. Should i wait till i get my citizenship?
I think having a GC which u already have has the same weight as being a citizen. It’s just that schools are accommodating diversity in their classes and we all know that a great deal of applicants comes from India so you have to make yours stand out from them first. I’m from Asia so it’s less competitive compared to Indians

And apply to schools that prefers Citizens/GC holders like UIC, UPenn, tufts, Alabama etc

Thank you. Good luck with your applications as well. What are your stats? It great you got calls.

Thank you. Good luck with your applications as well. What are your stats? It great you got calls.
To be honest I don’t have great stats at all but here it is gpa 2.8, nbde 1/2, toefl 102, 2 yrs DA, 6 mos hygienist, Dental and non dental related volunteering, US citizen.
I tried to polish my caapid application as much as possible and spent a great deal of time writing and editing my SOP.

And as @oralcare123 stated above make sure you look good on paper application and present yourself well to at least get an interview.

And as @oralcare123 stated above make sure you look good on paper application and present yourself well to at least get an interview.
I certainly will. Your stats are bang on! GPA is a iffy thing anyways. Are you applying this cycle? Good Luck!

I certainly will. Your stats are bang on! GPA is a iffy thing anyways. Are you applying this cycle? Good Luck!
Yes I applied to three schools so far and got an interview invite with UIC this May. Fingers crossed on that one

GPA matters but not solely. I do have a 3.8 GPA but got 0 interviews until now. I'd say to focus more on building more dental related work. Good luck!

Your GPA is acceptable. The problem is that you didn't do much for 7 years. Schools don't like that. They want to see something: work, volunteering or study. Being a housewife and bringing up children does not show enough commitment to the profession. Make sure to have recent volunteering and CE

Your GPA is acceptable. The problem is that you didn't do much for 7 years. Schools don't like that. They want to see something: work, volunteering or study. Being a housewife and bringing up children does not show enough commitment to the profession. Make sure to have recent volunteering and CE

I was not a housewife, i was working in HR and accounts department in an IT company. As for as bringing up children, yes i raised my twins as they had complications and were NICU for sometime,they needed extra attention and special care. I hope that goes as an asset as the situation demanded and i made the best choice.

I was not a housewife, i was working in HR and accounts department in an IT company. As for as bringing up children, yes i raised my twins as they had complications and were NICU for sometime,they needed extra attention and special care. I hope that goes as an asset as the situation demanded and i made the best choice.
I am not in any admission committee and just stating facts without sugarcoating, which maybe pleasant to hear, but does nothing to advance your career.
Working in non-dental field shows the lack of commitment to the profession of dentistry. As far as staying home with children with special needs - it is always a good reason. Just make sure you have recent activity, at least a year. Invest in CEs and volunteering in the field

In my opinion, you can write your SOP why you were not able to do so much work. I mean like a justification and also how committed you are to coming back to dentistry. You’ve got good bio. I’d suggest you to carve your SOP. good luck!

In my opinion, you can write your SOP why you were not able to do so much work. I mean like a justification and also how committed you are to coming back to dentistry. You’ve got good bio. I’d suggest you to carve your SOP. good luck!

Thank you! That's inspiring!!!

Is it true that non-dental volunteer experience doesn't matter to the admissions committee?:(

Is it true that non-dental volunteer experience doesn't matter to the admissions committee?:(
It's not true. Dental and medical is more valuable, but consistency and amount are payed the most attention