Suggestions/ Advice to improve my profile, Low GPA, International dentist program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raskolnikov666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello these are my GPA scores in dental school in my country:
Licentiate in Surgeon Dentist- 2.58 GPA
Diploma of Specialty in Endodontics - 3.65 GPA

Passed INBDE, moving to the US to start shadowing in January 2023, before this, I already applied to 7 programs since I don't want to lose any time (the shadowing or DA experience is not in my CV). I did all of this after working for a while in my country 7 years (mainly endo but lots of general dentitry). I am a permanent US resident.

I am 36 years old, and I am seeking advice in how to polish / improve my profile, I've read that MPH helps, so I wanted to ask if online MPH is really worth it. Also I'm giving my best towards the DA / Shadowing experience soon and obviously considering that I will have to re-apply after that experience if I hear from nobody.

To anyone that has experience in the matter, should I just start MPH AND DA/Shadowing at the same time?
Is MPH really worth it?
Does online MPH have the same weight as MPH at campus?
What other options do I have to improve my profile appart from DA / Shadowing?

Thank You in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well doing a masters will improve ur general dental GPA but u already having a specialty, what is the point? May I ask in regards to ur applications for this passed cycle were u even called? Did ur personal statement explained ur low general degree gpa? was ur personal statement more about dentistry or about yourself? How is ur cv structured ?? I got accepted this cycle so I may give u some feedback.

Well doing a masters will improve ur general dental GPA but u already having a specialty, what is the point? May I ask in regards to ur applications for this passed cycle were u even called? Did ur personal statement explained ur low general degree gpa? was ur personal statement more about dentistry or about yourself? How is ur cv structured ?? I got accepted this cycle so I may give u some feedback.
I just applied around october to all available programs, I have not been called.
Towards my low GPA I just stated that I aknowledge that fact and it was due to some family problems and immaturity. My personal statement Id say it was both ends, myself and dentistry. My CV (GPA / Universities / working experiences 9 places / permanent resident and status).

And yes thank you, all feedback is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied around october to all available programs, I have not been called.
Towards my low GPA I just stated that I aknowledge that fact and it was due to some family problems and immaturity. My personal statement Id say it was both ends, myself and dentistry. My CV (GPA / Universities / working experiences 9 places / permanent resident and status).

And yes thank you, all feedback is really appreciated!good day, if u applied this late u probably won't hear anything til Jan-Feb timeframe. You might need to get ready for the incoming application cycle starting in March. Would you like me to review ur sop and cv? if so shoot me a pm

Did you apply to such schools as UIC, UMN, Loma Linda, UNMC, Rutgers. I’ve heard they accepted candidates with low GPA before. I think your GPA isn’t that bad and you have some good chances with excellent SOP and LORs. I would of apply as many schools as possible if you can.

P.S. I wouldn’t mention any explanation about your GPA in the personal statement, unless it was above average and non of the students in your class had high GPA. Mention only your positive treats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to such schools as UIC, UMN, Loma Linda, UNMC, Rutgers. I’ve heard they accepted candidates with low GPA before. I think your GPA isn’t that bad and you have some good chances with excellent SOP and LORs. I would of apply as many schools as possible if you can.

P.S. I wouldn’t mention any explanation about your GPA in the personal statement, unless it was above average and non of the students in your class had high GPA. Mention only your positive treats.
Yes, I did applied to ALL programs, I'am really invested into turning this out. I was just accepting the fact I'm not getting called unless I have the shadowing/ DA aspect. Any other routes or tips for getting accepted into universities? TY for your help! I reallyu appreciate it. I am starting DA/Shadowing on the 3rd.

Also are some of the programs available, not listed under CAAPID, because I have not looked into it. Is there such thing?

There is a program in Texas, San Antonio which accepts candidates every year. There is also a program in Creighton, Nebraska which isn’t listed on Caapid. However, they don’t accept candidates every year, they told me that they haven’t accept anyone for the last 4 years. But I would email them and ask them to notify you if they decide to open a spot next year. I gathered all information about how to improve the profile on my YouTube channel, if you search my nickname, you can watch my video about this)