GPA, LOR, Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J_da123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will a C+ look bad even if overall GPA is decent (3.75 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA) it was my last semester (biochem) and I'm worried it will be considered a "downward trend" I had only As and Bs then a B- the semester before last and a C+ my last semester. I had family issues I can explain on secondaries and a professor mentioned it on a LOR. Also doing post bacc for one semester and an MPH during application/gap year. How much of an effect do you think it will have?

Also, how much does having a LOR from a doctor at the school you're applying to really help?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will a C+ look bad even if overall GPA is decent (3.75 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA) it was my last semester (biochem) and I'm worried it will be considered a "downward trend" I had only As and Bs then a B- the semester before last and a C+ my last semester. I had family issues I can explain on secondaries and a professor mentioned it on a LOR. Also doing post bacc for one semester and an MPH during application/gap year. How much of an effect do you think it will have?

Also, how much does having a LOR from a doctor at the school you're applying to really help?

Thanks!
Won't be an issue so long as your gpa didn't truly tank the last year. Post-bacc/MPH will only affect if you get poor grades. LOR from doctor from the school isn't necessary and like all letters, can help, hurt, or do nothing to your application

Reactions: 1 user
LOR from a doc is recommend/required for DO schools (a DO doc so you understand what DO is) and not super useful for MD schools (since you don't really do much when you shadow).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take MCAT yet? I think as long as you do well on the bio/biochem section it shouldn't matter. I got B- in biochem but 131 on the test so I'm hoping the MCAT removes doubt about the grade

No one will care about the C+. No need to mentionit

Why are you doing postbacc and MPH?
Ok great! Doing Post bacc just Summer B semester for physics 2 and in-person english class because all my credits are AP and one-year MPH during the fall and spring because it's a big interest of mine and I was going to apply to MD/MPH but figured I could do it in my gap year instead