GPA, MCATs, and how many school you plan to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i dunno hwo many schools i should apply to. I'm just wondering about ur stats and how many you plan to try for. I wouldnt wanna spend too much money if its not necessary but im afraid i wont get in if i apply to too little. Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

-Overall gpa: 3.90
-BCPM gpa: ~3.94

-MCAT: 30 P (10 vr, 9 ps, 11 bs)

-Applying to ~15 schools.

overall AMCAS GPA 3.67
BCPM 3.47

MCAT 34P (9 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS)

applying to 11 schools, but I almost definitely have to stay in one city because my husband is in school here

-Overall gpa: 3.75
-BCPM gpa: 3.74
-Non-Science gpa: 3.76

-MCAT: 39 Q (12 vr, 13 ps, 14 bs)

-Most likely applying EDP to my state school, so... 1. If that doesn't pan out, I could see myself applying to around a dozen more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall: ~3.4
BCPM: ~3.5
35P (11 VR, 12 BS, 12 PS)

My freshman year started out baaad

Applying to ~20 schools(some for fun)

Overall GPA 3.81, BCPM 3.89, MCAT 37P.

Nontraditional.

I'm applying to about 15 or so schools... I have been revising my list a little in the past day since scores came out.

MCAT: 37Q
Post Bac. 3.95 GPA

I'm only going for 6 schools here in Texas. Is that too few?

MCATs: 26R (7V 10PS 9BS) April 2004
29R (9V 9PS 11BS) April 2005

GPA: 3.67 overall.. and 3.67 BCPM

not sure if I am nontraditional or not, don't even know what that is!! But I have worked in manufacturing at a top biotech company for almost a year and have lots of research and rewards under my belt. So yeah I'm applying to like 30 schools. Just going to use a couple of paychecks on it.

MCAT - 30O (Yea 300 baby!) 10-10-10
BCPM - 3.81
Overall - 3.76

18 school, 17 allo and 1 DO

3.55 gpa
30Q (11,10,9,Q)
30+ MD schools
4-5 DO schools

(probably excessive, but I want to be sure!)

aliendroid said:
Post Bac. 3.95 GPA

I'm only going for 6 schools here in Texas. Is that too few?

With stats like that you needn't be worried!

GPA 3.9
MCBP 3.9
MCAT 38Q

I'll probably apply to around 12 schools, not sure which ones though...

Members don't see this ad :)
-Overall GPA: 3.71 (4.0 in 2nd bachelors degree in biology)
-BCPM GPA: 3.99
-MCAT: 31 O (10 VR, 10 PS, 11 BS)
-Applying to ~32 schools (I'm from California and my EC's are weaker than some ppl since I didn't really consider medicine until a couple years ago)

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science: 3.93
MCAT: 40O (13PS, 13VR, 14BS)

Probably around 15 in the end. Mostly top research schools, but we'll see what happens.

To the OP- you may want to check out mdapplicants.com as well, to see how many schools people applied to and what their "supposed" stats were going into it.

firebird69guy said:
MCATs: 26R (7V 10PS 9BS) April 2004
29R (9V 9PS 11BS) April 2005

GPA: 3.67 overall.. and 3.67 BCPM

not sure if I am nontraditional or not, don't even know what that is!! But I have worked in manufacturing at a top biotech company for almost a year and have lots of research and rewards under my belt. So yeah I'm applying to like 30 schools. Just going to use a couple of paychecks on it.

Yup, you're a non-trad!! Check out the nontraditional's forum if you like to meet more of us. :)

overall GPA: 3.82
BMCP: 3.79

I sent my application in on June 1st and it was processed around June 8th. There are some schools I would probably take off now since I did better on the mcat than I thought I would. The total right now is 18 schools, but I may add 2 more reach schools and just not do secondaries for the places that were extreme backups.

Overall GPA 3.70, Science GPA 3.44
MCAT 38 (15P, 12V, 11B, S)
Applying to 26 schools (I'm from California...blehhh...)

Ok I'm so embarassed about this but it is what it is. :eek:

I got a 24Q. 11-V, 6-P, 7-B
My overall GPA is 3.39
My science GPA is 3.6

I'm applying to four schools. Two D.O. and two M.D. If I don't get in this year then I'll consider applying to more. Honestly, I'm too poor to apply to any more than that. I can barely afford to retake the MCAT plus get the apps going.

I hadn't had physics yet, which I'm taking now so hopefully when I retake in August I can pull that way up.
I have no idea why my Biology score was so low. I guess I neglected it a bit bc I thought I'd get at least a 9 or 10, as I did on all my practice tests. I guess I just flopped it. I know I need to review my General Chem, it's been a long time since I did that stuff. Nine is still low I suppose but it would be high enough for me. I'd like to pull my verbal up higher. I think it would be easy for me to get closer to a 15. It comes naturally and with a bit of practice I could definitely rock that.
And, hey, we all have to rock at something, eh?

Bottom line, I was unprepared. Won't happen again.

BCPM GPA: 3.41; overall GPA: 3.55 (including 4.0 post-bacc)
grad GPA: 3.88
(i was a punk freshman & sophomore years, GPA never fully recovered even with 4.0 junior and senior years and 4.0 post-bacc)

MCAT: 41 O (VR 13, PS 14, BS 14)

i sent the application june 1st with 16 schools, not really knowing what to expect on the mcat. with my score i'm thinking of adding a few more "reach" schools, so it will probably go up to 19.

Overall GPA: 3.66
BCMP GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 34Q (11PS, 10VR, 13BS)

Applying to 21 schools, 11 realistic, 10 reaches (why not?)

I did not take biochem in undergrad, so if i decide to do a Masters at Hopkins that I have gotten into for the year(waiting for fin aid), then I may add a school or two that requires biochem.

Overall: 3.990
BCMP: 4.000
MCAT: 38S (14PS, 11VR, 13BS)

Applying to 11 schools (that many for free): duke, emory, harvard, hopkins, northwestern, UAB, UChicago, UPenn, UTenn (state), Vandy (show some undergrad love, perhaps), WUSTL

Overall: 3.90
BCPM: 3.95
MCAT: VR 9, PS 12, BS 11, ---> 32O

Applying EDP to my state school

MCAT - 31N, 11PS, 10VR, 10BS
GPA - 3.52

I am a NY resident so, I'll apply to all the NY schools except for the high tier ones such as NYU, Comubia, Cornell or Mt. Sinai. This is my second year in the process and a man can only take so many rejections. Overall, I'll apply to 11-13 schools.

Show me some love SUNYs.

tigress said:
overall AMCAS GPA 3.67
BCPM 3.47

MCAT 34P (9 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS)

applying to 11 schools, but I almost definitely have to stay in one city because my husband is in school here

Can I ask why then you don't just apply to the only school you can go to and not waste money?

Hi Mocha,

Which school are you applying ED to? RWJ or NJMed. I am also a NJ resident.

MochaMD said:
Overall: 3.90
BCPM: 3.95
MCAT: VR 8, PS 12, BS 11, ---> 32O

Applying EDP to my state school

gujuDoc said:
You should apply to NYU and Mt. Sinai. They are not that far out of reach.

I had a friend that applied to NYU and BU this past cycle and made it to interview phase with a 3.6 and 29 MCAT. He ruined his interview, which is why he didn't get accepted. But had he done better in the interview phase, he would have been golden.

Another person I know got into NYU a couple years ago, with similar scores to you.

So its definitely possible.

Don't out rule that school or Mr. Sinai. you are very close to their averages as it is.

Average Undergrad GPA (4.0 scale): 3.70
Average MCAT Bio: 11.00
Average MCAT Phys: 11.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 10.00
Average MCAT Essay: Q

This is the data for NYU from Princetonreview.com

So consider it.

Thanks for the data, Guju (always the beacon of hope aren't ya?) I'll throw in Mt. Sinai and NYU. Do you know if they send out secondaries indescriminately or do they screen? Also, I thought NYU didn't participate in AMCAS but I saw their name on the AMCAS list of schools.

RayhanS1282 said:
Do you know if they send out secondaries indescriminately or do they screen?

From MSAR 06-07:

Mt. Sinai: sent to all applicants, $105
NYU: sent to all applicants, $100

Actually, MSAR says there isn't a school in NY that screens secondaries. Sucks for you, looks like you'll be coughing up the dough!

non-science: 3.8
science: 3.1
overall: 3.4
MCAT: VR 11 BS 12 PS 12 35Q
Applying to about 10 schools: Colorado, USC, UCLA, UCSF, Northwestern, Baylor, GW, Georgetown, Boston, Tufts, and maybe some undergrad love from Stanford
What do you guys think? More safety schools with my low science GPA?

Any advice on where I should apply? I haven't spent much time looking at schools yet, just wanted to know if you guys have any advice off the top of your head. Here are my stats:
MCAT: 31O (11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
GPA: 3.78 (science is probably slightly lower)
EC's: pretty average. I have over a year of research, a year of volunteering in hospital ER and some non-medically related volunteer experiences.

I'm a Washington resident and will be applying to UW, OHSU, Standford?? (out of my league??), Wake Forest... and not quite sure where else to apply. What are some good "safety schools?"

Thanks so much! You guys are great! :) :)

gujuDoc said:
Since your stats are really good, you can consider some schools like NYU and Mt. Sinai, as well as the not so high tier schools like Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, Albany, SLU, GWU, etc.

Also, Ohio State University and Penn State are schools I would consider.

As a long shot, I would consider Standford, but don't get your heart set on it as the only school you are willing to go to. Drexel is another safety school.

BU and Tufts come to mind too.

Keep in mind that these are recommendations, but it is up to you to look up the MSAR and see if either is a school you would like based on location, curriculum, mission statement (i.e. research vs. primary care focused schools), etc.

You can purchase one at the AAMC website for the most accurate information. The slightly older version may be in your school's library or in your advisor's office. Good luck.

Thanks guju! I'm gonna spend a couple of hours early next week in the career center checking out the MSAR; just wanted some initial input.

By the way, you're really on top of the reply-posts tonight. A 10 minute turn-around time for questions is pretty amazing!! ;)

Thanks again!! :D :D

science GPA: 3.95
overall GPA: 3.83
MCAT: 35 (12 PS 12 BS 11 VR)

Excellent ECs (lotsa research, clinical stuff, non-clinical volunteering) and very solid letters of rec.

Applying to 15 schools.

My biggest weakness is age (too young!)

Science GPA: 3.5
Non-science: 3.6
Total: 3.5
Grad GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 27Q

I'm a non-trad applicant. I'm not sure yet how my AMCAS GPA will turn out. I have a lot of engineering classes that I'm not sure will get to stay in the BCPM category. My GPA for the last 4 years of undergrad is 3.8 of mostly engineering, so I definitely have an upward trend. I am hoping adcoms will overlook the early '90s. :oops:

I'm applying to 8 MD and 6 DO programs. I need to stay reasonably close to home (Cleveland Ohio).

Good luck everyone!

beponychick said:
Hi Mocha,

Which school are you applying ED to? RWJ or NJMed. I am also a NJ resident.

I'm applying EDP to NJMS. What schools r u planning to apply to???

dajimmers said:
From MSAR 06-07:

Mt. Sinai: sent to all applicants, $105
NYU: sent to all applicants, $100

Actually, MSAR says there isn't a school in NY that screens secondaries. Sucks for you, looks like you'll be coughing up the dough!

Thanks for the info. Damn it...looks like I won't be buying an XBOX this year either.

GPA: 4.00 (overall)
MCAT: 33R (10V, 11PS, 12BS)... not what I wanted and expected, but whatever, it doesn't matter. I took it a year early, perhaps that was a bad choice.

I do a lot of individual and mostly self-directed research in synthetic organic chemistry and I am a beckman and a goldwater scholar. I do some other stuff too like volunteering in an oncology clinic.

I am applying to 15 schools, mostly west coast and east coast, all MSTP.

RayhanS1282 said:
MCAT - 31N, 11PS, 10VR, 10BS
GPA - 3.52

I am a NY resident so, I'll apply to all the NY schools except for the high tier ones such as NYU, Comubia, Cornell or Mt. Sinai. This is my second year in the process and a man can only take so many rejections. Overall, I'll apply to 11-13 schools.

Show me some love SUNYs.

Hey, what were your stats (i.e. MCAT) last year and how many schools did you apply to?

gujuDoc said:
I think you've got a good shot at such programs. You know, you should talk to QofQuimica. She also has most of her research in organic chemistry, actually she's a phD in chemistry almost, and applying to med school.

I hope so. I am worried about my MCAT, but I've heard that a score like that won't keep someone out.

hoberto said:
Science GPA: 3.5
Non-science: 3.6
Total: 3.5
Grad GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 27Q

I'm a non-trad applicant. I'm not sure yet how my AMCAS GPA will turn out. I have a lot of engineering classes that I'm not sure will get to stay in the BCPM category. My GPA for the last 4 years of undergrad is 3.8 of mostly engineering, so I definitely have an upward trend. I am hoping adcoms will overlook the early '90s. :oops:

I'm applying to 8 MD and 6 DO programs. I need to stay reasonably close to home (Cleveland Ohio).

Good luck everyone!

I hope adcoms overlook the early '90s too. Heck, I wish I could overlook the early '90s. Good luck! :luck:

gluon999 said:
Hey, what were your stats (i.e. MCAT) last year and how many schools did you apply to?

My last year's stats were less than stellar and as follows:
MCAT -- 25K, 9PS, 6VR, 10BS

I applied to the following schools but only submitted secondaries to a select few since the rejections kept rolling in:
Albany Medical College - sent in secondary - rejected
Creighton University School of Medicine - sent in secondary - rejected
Drexel University College of Medicine - never sent in secondary
Indiana University School of Medicine - rejected pre secondary (this one really hurt 'cause they didn't even deem me worthy enough to take my money)
Meharry Medical College - never sent in secondary
Morehouse School of Medicine - never sent in secondary - rejected
New York Medical College - sent in secondary - rejected
SUNY Upstate Medical University - sent in secondary - rejected
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School - sent in secondary - rejected
Saint Louis University School of Medicine - sent in secondary - rejected
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen - sent in secondary - rejected
Stony Brook University - School of Medicine - sent in secondary - rejected
The University of Vermont College of Medicine - sent in secondary - rejected
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den - sent in secondary - rejected

My list this year is going to be the same but going to add Mt. Sinai and NYU to the list. I am going to drop Creighton and Indiana.

It seems as I am the only one applying to relatively few schools. I know that they recommend you to apply to around 15 schools, but isn't anyone else applying to less than 10 (excluding those who are EDP)?

3.87 cumm GPA
3.86 BCPM GPA
10BS, 10V, 11PS = 31M

I have very good "extras" including leadership positions in medical and nonmedical clubs, volunteering, shadowing, excellent clinical research (my name will be on one paper that should be published this fall, and I am completely setting up a study under the supervision in some MDs this summer), chem TA, worked all thoughout college, and great letters of recommendations. I am a Cali resident (going to school in FL).

I am applying to all the UCs and Stanford. I have also been considering TOURO and USC. I have never been the biggest fan of USC for lots of small reasons and if I applied there I would have to take Cell Molec (in no way a requirement for my majors, chemistry and exercise physiology) next spring because they added that as a requirement. Although I specifically want to work with underserved populations, I am not positive I want to do primary care, so TOURO may limit me in the future (it also isn't as established). I like the DO's hollistic philosophy, but think that I can incorporate that into my own practice without gointo to a DO med school.

I really want to go back to the West Coast and then I can also coordinate somewhat with my fiance. I want to be happy in medical school and I'd rather have to apply again than settle.

hey booya

i'm in a similar situation, 3.9 gpa and 33 mcat (11,11,11) but i think that all your extracurriculars and academic attributes (i.e. goldwater!!!) will work in your favor. i, too, have pretty strong EC's, etc. and plan to apply for a fulbright next year, so hopefully these things will balance out the mcat.

the thing is, remember that a 33 is like 92nd percentile. only about 4% of testtakers got a 33 this past administration...that, coupled with your gpa, should be fine. the averages at top 10's are in the 35 range, but in the top 20's they are in the 32-33 range....overall, keep ya head up, i think you've got a strong shot!

i'm trying to stay optimistic also, b/c i'm definitely aiming for top 20's :)

RayhanS1282 said:
My last year's stats were less than stellar and as follows:
MCAT -- 25K, 9PS, 6VR, 10BS

My list this year is going to be the same but going to add Mt. Sinai and NYU to the list. I am going to drop Creighton and Indiana.

You made a nice improvement in your MCAT score. I think most of the SUNY schools, and even some private schools will definitely take a second look at you with the improved score and land you interviews.

TheDarkSide said:
I hope adcoms overlook the early '90s too. Heck, I wish I could overlook the early '90s. Good luck! :luck:

It's always nice to know we aren't alone! Good luck to you as well!

MochaMD said:
I'm applying EDP to NJMS. What schools r u planning to apply to???

Im not applying ED like you. I think you have a great shot because your numbers are really good. I will be applying to NJMS and RWJ. Dont really know which one is my top choice though. Good luck to you. Maybe we'll be classmates :)

beponychick said:
Im not applying ED like you. I think you have a great shot because your numbers are really good. I will be applying to NJMS and RWJ. Dont really know which one is my top choice though. Good luck to you. Maybe we'll be classmates :)

Thanx.......Good luck to u 2...and btw, go to NJMS! Lol :)

3.5 gpa
29R mcat

Going to apply to 7 allo-schools, but I have my heart set on only one... really crossing my fingers for that one!

Gujudoc, i'm looking at you for this one...you seem like the man with the plan!

stats:

i'm non-URM, reapplicant (applied for 2005-2006), BCPM: 3.09, Non-science: 3.46, TOTAL: 3.35

MCAT: V9, PS8, BS10, Q

home state: michigan

here are my schools...any suggestions for additions?
Drexel University College of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Temple University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine (my undergrad)
University of Michigan Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

thanks bro

gujuDoc said:
What's your home state?? You should probably add some state schools plus safety schools. maybe SLU or NYMC or Albany, etc.

But look in MSAR to determine what schools you want to apply to. Oh and if you showed an improvement in your GPA in terms of trends etc. then you should be ok. Schools like to see continual improvement.

If you don't get some love this time around, then there's always SMP programs to make yourself competitive. However, for now, I think you stand a chance.

Hey Guju,
Thanks for the input. Home state is CO. Definitely had the improvement in the GPA...I was at a 2.3 middle of my sophomore year, worked hard on some other stuff, and retook a O Chem class for a much better grade. How much should the undergrad halo effect matter? MCAT (11-12-12) proves that I know the science material?
Thanks!