Gpa/Mcats/Dats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsk070

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm stuck in a dilemma.

Current GPA- 3.5 Overall, Science- 3.4

I have taken various practice MCATS and DATS- MCATS score around 35-40, and DATS score around the 25-27 range. (since this isnt a DAT forum- the highest scores on dat avg are around 28-30)

I believe my gpa will stabilize at the 3.5/3.4 mark, but I'm thinking thats not good enough for medical school.

My ECs are well done, research, internships, overseas dental work, overseas medical work, TA etc, So I won't list them.

But my GPA has dropped from 4.0 freshman yr, to 3.7 sopho, to 3.5 junior which I know isnt good.

But I have taken some really- bad teachers in physics and ochem, but my scores on the standardized tests- make up for it. Perhaps I can bring this up in my interviews.

But anyways- is medical school a long shot for me? And to be honest, I'm really leaning towards dentistry now due to lifestyle and other various incentives. My parents however really are pushing for the medical school route.

I just want to know- can I do it, if i wanted to? Right now, I'm resigning to getting B and A's just because I know dental school needs a 3.2-3.5 GPA to get in, I know medical school needs a 3.6+- So I need at leasts A-, A's to keep it up.

I don't know whether my current gpa can pull it off. Is medical school a long shot for me?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can pull off the MCAT score you predict, the slightly low GPA will not hold you back from a medical school acceptance.

That said: Do not go to medical school to make your parents happy. Go to med school because it's the only career where you can see yourself as being satisfied. Let it be sufficient to know that you could have gained an admission if you didn't want something else more.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, it sounds like you have zero motivation for medical school.

Regardless, don't blame "bad teachers" for your declining GPA.

I would not bring your GPA up in the PS or essays, but do be prepared to discuss the negative trend without passing the buck to others.

Assuming you are a junior, buckle down and start that GPA trend in the positive direction.

Those high DAT and MCAT scores are far easier said than done, even if you are getting practice scores in that range. In other words, don't count on it as your salvation. Apply early and broadly, and figure out which path for yourself, not for your parents.

First, it sounds like you have zero motivation for medical school.

Regardless, don't blame "bad teachers" for your declining GPA.

I would not bring your GPA up in the PS or essays, but do be prepared to discuss the negative trend without passing the buck to others.

Assuming you are a junior, buckle down and start that GPA trend in the positive direction.

Those high DAT and MCAT scores are far easier said than done, even if you are getting practice scores in that range. In other words, don't count on it as your salvation. Apply early and broadly, and figure out which path for yourself, not for your parents.

Yep- I honestly pretty sure I'm not taking the medical school route. As people say, you have to love medicine to do it, but I don't really love medicine. However, I do like it.

Thanks for the insight, and yes I do realize that an upward trend in grades is crucial. To be honest, and not blaming bad teachers. Physics and math courses destroyed my gpa- caused it to drop (C's and B-) It's my weak point, but next year with my final bios, I'm sure to get A's.

Thanks for all the help. I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for me.

isnt the average for UCSF dental school around a 3.6?

isnt the average for UCSF dental school around a 3.6?

Yeah something like that, but thats one of the higher tier Dentistry Schools (Along with UCLA and Harvard) Most Dental schools just need 3.2-3.5.