GPA Padding & Small GPA difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiakTiDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm currently on my last semester getting ready to apply this upcoming cycle.
Anyway, I had a rough time my first two years of undergrad, and my GPA suffered for it.
but I tweaked my work ethic, study habits, friends and I have made strides to raise my GPA, with an upward trend the last 3 years (delayed graduation to work on my app, so it's sort of like a DIY-Postbac).

My concerns are the fact that majority of my Pre-Med pre-reqs were taken within those first two years (I did retake 2 and Got A's), and the fact that there are some "fluff" classes I've taken along the way in my upwards trend like childhood studies (which was like a Psy/Bio course for human development) , Astronomy, Environmental science, Nutrition etc.

I have taken upper division courses like Genetics, Virology, Immunology, Biochem, Neurobiology etc. and have received A's in them, will that offset the "fluff" courses?

Also, I'm having a rough time with the start of my semester as I'm still prepping to take my MCAT this January. I didn't do so well on my first weekly quizzes this week for nutrition as I completely forgot about it due to studying for my MCAT, volunteering, and lab work.
Is it worth taking one extra class to bump my GPA up about .02?
(If I do well on all my classes I could bump my GPA to about a 3.44 If I drop the class it would be a 3.42)
I know I can handle the extra class once my MCAT is done, but that's another 2 weeks, and I would rather spend any extra time on my MCAT (or more volunteering) than a filler class, unless it would help?

I'm planning on applying to my State MD, mostly DO programs, or maybe SMPs and upon completion, MD programs.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help!

Members don't see this ad.

That difference in GPA is basically meaningless. Kill your MCAT. Doing really well it on will do you so much more good than a 0.02 GPA increase. And I wouldn't worry about those "fluff" classes. They care about your GPA. Make sure you count them as science in AMCAS when you apply to boost your sGPA.

And if you already have plenty of volunteering hours, cut it while your in school to focus on your MCAT. That and getting a 4.0 this semester should be your number one focus for now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3.42 = 3.44

Capeesh?

Hi everyone!
I'm currently on my last semester getting ready to apply this upcoming cycle.
Anyway, I had a rough time my first two years of undergrad, and my GPA suffered for it.
but I tweaked my work ethic, study habits, friends and I have made strides to raise my GPA, with an upward trend the last 3 years (delayed graduation to work on my app, so it's sort of like a DIY-Postbac).

My concerns are the fact that majority of my Pre-Med pre-reqs were taken within those first two years (I did retake 2 and Got A's), and the fact that there are some "fluff" classes I've taken along the way in my upwards trend like childhood studies (which was like a Psy/Bio course for human development) , Astronomy, Environmental science, Nutrition etc.

I have taken upper division courses like Genetics, Virology, Immunology, Biochem, Neurobiology etc. and have received A's in them, will that offset the "fluff" courses?

Also, I'm having a rough time with the start of my semester as I'm still prepping to take my MCAT this January. I didn't do so well on my first weekly quizzes this week for nutrition as I completely forgot about it due to studying for my MCAT, volunteering, and lab work.
Is it worth taking one extra class to bump my GPA up about .02?
(If I do well on all my classes I could bump my GPA to about a 3.44 If I drop the class it would be a 3.42)
I know I can handle the extra class once my MCAT is done, but that's another 2 weeks, and I would rather spend any extra time on my MCAT (or more volunteering) than a filler class, unless it would help?

I'm planning on applying to my State MD, mostly DO programs, or maybe SMPs and upon completion, MD programs.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help!

I have yet to actually tally my LizzyM score, I'll probably do that after I get my MCAT score.

My volunteer background is a little average atm since I started about 2 years ago on and off. So I don't think I should drop that, and as cliche as it sounds I do enjoy the interpersonal aspect of helping people and it keeps me distracted from all the other stress of college, while still being a good use of my time imo.

Thanks for the advice on the GPA, I'm definitely dropping the course now
and focus majority of my time on my MCAT.

Thank you all!