GPA- please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hate to be doing this but I really need your help. I graduated from Cornell University with a degree in urban planning about two years. Unfortunately, I finished with a 3.3 GPA. I'm not going to make any excuses,I did not prioritize the right things. I'm thinking about going back to school (CUNY) in order to obtain a second degree in biology and complete my pre med requirements ; it's affordable and will take me about a year and a half. I'm hoping to raise my GPA and meet new professors. While in school, I will be doing research at Columbia Medical school and will be working at a hospital.

I am writing to you because I would like to know if I'm wasting my time. Will I get into an MD program if I raise my GPA? Should I consider going to Latin America to study medicine? Or should I apply to a NP/PA programs? Don't know if this helps, but I'm interested in going into primary care.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you could get into an MD program if you try hard to build up your gpa and get some good ECs. Don't ever go to Latin America!

Do you have good ECs? volunteer experience? shadowing? research experience?

GPA is important but it's not the only thing adcoms look at. My GPA is only a little higher than yours and I have 4 interviews (3 to MD/PhD programs). You definitely have a shot if all the other things listed about are decent to exceptional. I would recommend a post-bac program. A year doing research or working in a clinical setting while shadowing and volunteering would be useful. Also, you probably have a good shot at DO programs; much better than Latin America!

Members don't see this ad :)
Boost your GPA and you can do it.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

You sound like a great candidate for a SMP program. Also if you don't mind D.O., and you are looking to get into primary I would give that a shot.

Thread moved to "What are my chances"

You definitely can still get in to MD schools. It will be somewhat easier to get ready to apply DO though

I would not recommend Caribbean/Latin American schools.

Being a PA/NP is a whole different ball game

What's your science GPA?

How much volunteering do you have?

What sort of work are you doing/are you planning to do in a hospital?

Don't ever go to Latin America!

Couldn't agree more. DO is always a good second choice especially with the new integration of DO into ACGME.

I believe the second degree will be seen as post-bacc and will be looked at almost separately from your undergrad grades. If you can prove yourself in getting your Biology degree, you should have a shot as long as your MCAT and ECs are in order in terms of volunteer and clinical experience hours.

Some school also give your "change of career path" extra points when reviewing your application for acceptance, so you may even get a boost there too.

You're fine for DO schools and if you live in NY, there are two there already, one more in NJ and two more in PA.

Hi everyone,

I hate to be doing this but I really need your help. I graduated from Cornell University with a degree in urban planning about two years. Unfortunately, I finished with a 3.3 GPA. I'm not going to make any excuses,I did not prioritize the right things. I'm thinking about going back to school (CUNY) in order to obtain a second degree in biology and complete my pre med requirements ; it's affordable and will take me about a year and a half. I'm hoping to raise my GPA and meet new professors. While in school, I will be doing research at Columbia Medical school and will be working at a hospital.

I am writing to you because I would like to know if I'm wasting my time. Will I get into an MD program if I raise my GPA? Should I consider going to Latin America to study medicine? Or should I apply to a NP/PA programs? Don't know if this helps, but I'm interested in going into primary care.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, I greatly appreciate it!

I have been working in a mitochondrial disease research lab since I was in high school. So I definitely have a lot of research experience. I do not have clinical experience however. How do I go about rectifying this? Should I volunteer at a hospital or should work in a community clinic? I would prefer the latter because I am interested in working in a low income neighborhood.

Also, where should I complete my bost-bacc? I can either go to the City College of New York which has a respectable science department or Baruch College which has a small biology department with really good professors. Should I go for prestige or a small-knit community?

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys are amazing!

As far as the post bacc decision, go wherever you have the best chance of success (3.8+). That should be the top priority, and deciding factor IMO.

I moved home after undergrad (went to school in a different state than home), and will be returning to my undergrad university for my post bacc because I know the professors there, and already feel comfortable. They want me to succeed more so than the big state university in my home state.