GPA question number one billion and one....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoody

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys are super sick of all these menial questions about GPA, which have undoubtably already been answered several million times in the history of SDN. So with that said....

I'm confused about undergrad GPA and post bacc GPA. Is your undergrad GPA the GPA that you held at the time of your graduation? If you take post bacc, but pre req, classes, are these figured into your uGPA or are they tallied as a separate GPA?

Thanks, a billion and one, in advance. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

At least you're humble in asking your question

Here's the info straight from the AMCAS 2010 instruction manual [which can be found here in the future (a pdf link): http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions070609.pdf]
Wow. Thanks for the link....you can tell I looked really hard for this information before posting my question. not.

So one more question, what does this statement mean

"AMCAS counts grades and hours assigned by the school where the courses were originally taken, not by any school that may have granted transfer credit"

I took Biology at my state school, got a 'B', and retook the course at a local CC over the summer for the 'A'. Does that mean only the 'B' will be counted and the A will be discredited because it was a transfer credit?

And just to be sure, because I heard it otherwise a time or two around here before, summer classes do "count" right?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the USA, summer courses count.

When you apply through AMCAS, you will submit a transcript from each school you attended. AMCAS will include both grades you received for Biology, regardless of how one of your undergrad schools looked at it.

If you apply through AACOMAS, the DO application service, they will count only the grade from the most recent retake, provided the credit hours are the same or greater.

Wow. Thanks for the link....you can tell I looked really hard for this information before posting my question. not.

So one more question, what does this statement mean

"AMCAS counts grades and hours assigned by the school where the courses were originally taken, not by any school that may have granted transfer credit"

I took Biology at my state school, got a 'B', and retook the course at a local CC over the summer for the 'A'. Does that mean only the 'B' will be counted and the A will be discredited because it was a transfer credit?

And just to be sure, because I heard it otherwise a time or two around here before, summer classes do "count" right?

summer classes do count. what your italicized quote from AMCAS means is this (my actual situation):

i took a calculus class over the summer at a university near my parents' house. that university offered the class for 4 credits and i got an A. the reason i took this course was because i needed calculus III for my major at the college i attended during the school year, so i got the credits transferred to my college. at my college, "normal" classes were 3 credits (not 4) so on my transcript they awarded me 3 credits for the summer class (so it was weighted into my GPA on equal footing with my other classes, as it should have been). BUT when i filled out AMCAS they gave me 4 credits for the class because that's what the university where i took it would have given me. make sense?

Postbaccalaureate Coursework is included in the "Undergraduate Total" GPA
as well as in a separate "Postbaccalaureate" GPA.

Holy crap. I didn't realize this. When AMCAS calculated my GPAs I was wildly confused because they had the postbac one listed separately . . . And I thought 'what the heck, i thought this was averaged in with my total UGPA?' i didn't realize that it already was. So thanks plsletmein, for answering . . and Hoody thanks for asking :) it probably would have taken me a lot longer to figure this out . . .