GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichiganStudent93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got verified yesterday after e-submitting on the 16th! However, the GPA is both with and without +\- so I was just curious which one do schools look at more closely? For me personally there's a small difference, but still figured I'd ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school, if the difference is so minute that it is hardly recognizable, then there is no need to worry. Now if w/ +/- your GPA increased by .3, then there is a problem, but if it's ~.01-.03, then everything is fine

Depends on the school, if the difference is so minute that it is hardly recognizable, then there is no need to worry. Now if w/ +/- your GPA increased by .3, then there is a problem, but if it's ~.01-.03, then everything is fine

Says who?

.3 vs .01-.03 .... Makes a difference ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would that be a problem? If your +/- GPA is higher, it means you got more +, which is good. If it's lower, it means you got more -'s.

other way around
How? If you have a bunch of A+ and B+, they're calculated as normal A's and B's in your GPA without +/-. Unless I am understanding that wrong.
If you have all A+, your +/- GPA would be above 4.0 and your non +/- GPA would be 4.0. Is that not right?

How? If you have a bunch of A+ and B+, they're calculated as normal A's and B's in your GPA without +/-. Unless I am understanding that wrong.
If you have all A+, your +/- GPA would be above 4.0 and your non +/- GPA would be 4.0. Is that not right?

you are definitely right haha. i thought you were taking about non plus minus gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would that be a problem? If your +/- GPA is higher, it means you got more +, which is good. If it's lower, it means you got more -'s.

Well it's to balance applicants and the schools they came from, there are universities that give out A+'s which are 4.33 gpa when a majority of universities have the A/A-/B+/etc grading system, so students can receive a 99% in a class, one university will reward them with an A+ while the other university will give them an A. The +/- scale would take in account the minuses as well as the pluses, typically the two gpa's, +/- and the w/o +/- are very close in scale, so there isn't any major fluctuation unless an applicant literally only received (+) or (-) grades for every single class. If it's a mix of + and -, then it balances out to be around the same gpa as the w/o +/-

Well it's to balance applicants and the schools they came from, there are universities that give out A+'s which are 4.33 gpa when a majority of universities have the A/A-/B+/etc grading system, so students can receive a 99% in a class, one university will reward them with an A+ while the other university will give them an A. The +/- scale would take in account the minuses as well as the pluses, typically the two gpa's, +/- and the w/o +/- are very close in scale, so there isn't any major fluctuation unless an applicant literally only received (+) or (-) grades for every single class. If it's a mix of + and -, then it balances out to be around the same gpa as the w/o +/-
I totally understand the standardization, I just don't see how it'd be a bad thing to have a higher +/- GPA. Even if it's because of B+'s. But idk

If you think about it A+ is really hard to get, as opposed to C- or D- usually, so +/- GPA should tend to be lower than without +/-

Someone back in my days in org got 100 on the final and midterm when mean was 59 stdev 20, prof said he was the smartest he's taught in a decade and only gave him an A, not A+

Someone back in my days in org got 100 on the final and midterm when mean was 59 stdev 20, prof said he was the smartest he's taught in a decade and only gave him an A, not A+
Most schools dont have A+

Reactions: 2 users
Most schools dont have A+

Right! I got a 99 in ochem and a 100 in cell bio and got an A because my school doesnt give A+ ....it sucks other schools have A+ since they would help boost the science GPA

Right! I got a 99 in ochem and a 100 in cell bio and got an A because my school doesnt give A+ ....it sucks other schools have A+ since they would help boost the science GPA
I know the pain I would have had 5 A+'s this year if my school did that. But I don't think I've heard of schools around my school that have the A+ option

I have a lot of A- grades, I like the w/0 +/- system :). It brings my 0GPA from a 3.64 to a 3.71 :). Overall though, I don't think it makes that much of a difference for most people. We do not have A+ grades. If we did, I think my GPA's would be pretty close to the same. I know I would have a few A+'s. I also think, no real basis for this, but your sGPA is probably more important. I have a larger spread with that--3.56 to 3.74 (w/0 +/-) because this is where most of my A-'s are :). I would also think that the adcoms put some unoffical, or maybe official, weight on how well you do in the harder science classes. If your GPA is boosted by your 100 level science classes and you got B's and C's in your upper levels, that probably isn't a good thing but if you had some lower grades in the 100 level classes and then boosted them with your upper level classes, that would be favorable..or maybe I'm just reaching here??

I have a lot of A- grades, I like the w/0 +/- system :). It brings my 0GPA from a 3.64 to a 3.71 :). Overall though, I don't think it makes that much of a difference for most people. We do not have A+ grades. If we did, I think my GPA's would be pretty close to the same. I know I would have a few A+'s. I also think, no real basis for this, but your sGPA is probably more important. I have a larger spread with that--3.56 to 3.74 (w/0 +/-) because this is where most of my A-'s are :). I would also think that the adcoms put some unoffical, or maybe official, weight on how well you do in the harder science classes. If your GPA is boosted by your 100 level science classes and you got B's and C's in your upper levels, that probably isn't a good thing but if you had some lower grades in the 100 level classes and then boosted them with your upper level classes, that would be favorable..or maybe I'm just reaching here??

Favorable because I'm at that position, my 100 level science classes were actually harder than my 300 and 400 level classes, I received in B's in both of them when the class average was a 55% on every exam. Now I'm doing upper divisions so my gpa is climbing as I received one A- and an A, so it would make sense for an upward trend from a plateau to a steady rise is very favorable in the eyes of adcoms, but then again nothing is ever for certain, but yes an upward trend sGPA should be more highly favorable than a normal sGPA or normal oGPA