GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone can possibly give me any insight to this. I just looked at my AMCAS GPA's, and my BCPM GPA overall is 3.5, which isn't bad, but I started off with around 3.3 my freshman year, and then it worked it's way up to a about 3.7 my senior year. I've been taking more and more difficult courses as I went onto my upper level classes, and I took more science classes as the years went by, so basically, I did much better in my upper level chem and biochem classes than I did in the basic stuff. I could assume the school's would look at the trend and not just the overall number, right?

I know, I'm just being stupid and paranoid. But this is my second time applying, so I'm just trying to convince myself that I am not going to be screwed again, and the more positive things on my app, the better.

Members don't see this ad.

musiclink213 said:
I'm just wondering if anyone can possibly give me any insight to this. I just looked at my AMCAS GPA's, and my BCPM GPA overall is 3.5, which isn't bad, but I started off with around 3.3 my freshman year, and then it worked it's way up to a about 3.7 my senior year. I've been taking more and more difficult courses as I went onto my upper level classes, and I took more science classes as the years went by, so basically, I did much better in my upper level chem and biochem classes than I did in the basic stuff. I could assume the school's would look at the trend and not just the overall number, right?

I know, I'm just being stupid and paranoid. But this is my second time applying, so I'm just trying to convince myself that I am not going to be screwed again, and the more positive things on my app, the better.

It's ok, everyone is a little paranoid here :) I can't see how adcoms won't like that upward trend. Good luck!

when amcas calculates your gpa, what gpa's do they calculate

BCPM and then everything together? or everything other than BCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
5241986 said:
when amcas calculates your gpa, what gpa's do they calculate

BCPM and then everything together? or everything other than BCPM?

There are 3 GPAs...

BCPM - Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math
AO - All other classes (not including BXPM classes)
Overall - BCPM and AO Average

Dov said:
There are 3 GPAs...

BCPM - Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math
AO - All other classes (not including BXPM classes)
Overall - BCPM and AO Average
does statistics count as math in the BCPM?

Dr. Josh said:
does statistics count as math in the BCPM?

I believe it does. In the AMCAS help menu, in the course work section, they have lists of what class titles they want you to classify as what.

For example, Biochemistry gets CHEM. It doesn't matter if your school put it in the biology department, or the theater department. AMCAS calls it CHEM so, so do you. :)