GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care more about Overall or Science GPA?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess we forgot to address this in the FAQ series.

I imagine, ideally, they'd like to see them both roughly equal and both high. I would think a higher science GPA would be better than a high overall GPA, if you could only have one.

How disparate are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we forgot to address this in the FAQ series.

I imagine, ideally, they'd like to see them both roughly equal and both high. I would think a higher science GPA would be better than a high overall GPA, if you could only have one.

How disparate are you?

I am a non-science major and my overall GPA is around 3.8 (maybe slightly higher?) and science GPA is around a 3.7. Is that fine?

Sounds solid to me. Hope you got the MCAT to back it up.

Statistically, the average science GPA is lower than average overall GPA. This just means science classes tend to be more difficult to earn good grades in. Med schools care about both. If I have to pick one. I would say overall is slightly more important. It is ideal to have similar science and overall GPAs as med schools also have a penchant for well-balanced individuals.

Are they only recording overall GPA in the MSAR when they talk about the average GPA of matriculants?

In the MSAR are they only recording overall GPA when they are talking about the average GPA of matriculants?

Yes. And with your GPAs, you're good to go.

Sorry i just saw your post above. I'll edit

I am a non-science major and my overall GPA is around 3.8 (maybe slightly higher?) and science GPA is around a 3.7. Is that fine?

Thi is just fine. You'd likely only have problems if the difference were at least >0.2 points.