Yelle

Student
Oct 16, 2010
Indiana
Status
Psychology Student
So, I'm in three dual-credit classes right now (Calculus, Anatomy, and English), and I'm doing "well" in 2 of the 3 (Anatomy and English).

For the first nine weeks, I received an A in English, an A- Anatomy, and a B- in Calculus :)().

Now, in the second nine weeks, I have an A in English, an A+ in Anatomy, and an A- in Calculus.

For both the Anatomy and Calculus grades, since they are 3 credit hour college classes spread out over a year for high schoolers (rather than a normal semester), my GPA won't be calculated for it until the entire year is over. So, all four nine weeks grades averaged.

Basically, I'm just curious as to whether going into college with a 3.75-3.8ish GPA (probably around what I'll end up with, thanks to Calculus) will be disheartening compared to going in with a 4.0? Anyone have experience with this?

ohiomed

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
a couple questions:

what colleges would you like to attend?

what is your standardized test score (ACT/SAT)?

If you did well on SAT/ACT, a 3.75 vs. 4.0 will likely make little difference on admittance to the college you would like to attend (especially if you are well rounded and involved in clubs at school, volunteering, etc.) Often times, you can look at the average SAT and GPA of each incoming class or call the college student affairs office to ask where to find that information.

If you are applying for scholarships, there is a tighter hole to fit through and the 4.0 would allow for a larger number of scholarships.

ohiomed

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
very competitive ivy league schools may be exception with going from 3.75 to 4.0. again, if this is your goal, i would call to find out average stats of last years class. of course, there will be more strict guidelines for admission.

IMO- unless you get a lot of scholarship money for Ivy league, don't waste your buck.

bigtruckguy3500

7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Texas
Status
Medical Student
It's only disheartening if you let it be by moping around about a 3.75. 9 credit hours is relatively insignificant over the course of a 120+ hour degree. And a 3 credit B is incredibly insignificant over the course of 120+ hours.

Don't feel sorry for yourself getting a B, use it as motivation to do better.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Basically, I'm just curious as to whether going into college with a 3.75-3.8ish GPA (probably around what I'll end up with, thanks to Calculus) will be disheartening compared to going in with a 4.0? Anyone have experience with this?
No experience with this but I imagine 9 credits of a 3.75 is really nothing. A 3.75 is a good GPA and, despite your performance in high school, it's typically quite challenging to get 3.9+ every semester so the 3.75 will probably not be too far off many of your college semesters. Sure, 9 credits of 4.0 would be nice, but it's only 9 credits. It truly won't impact your final GPA by more than .02-.03 points...if that.