GPA repair for a disadvantaged student

Started by Medo Gabr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medo Gabr

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello everyone
I’m looking for specific advice about my situation and hoping if anyone who’s been in my shoes before can offer some guidance. Since graduating high school and pursuing my bachelors in biology, I have faced some pretty extreme things as a student and wanted to know if it would be wise for me to apply this cycle, and how I can best perform GPA repair to make myself a competitive applicant and demonstrate academic rigor. For context, from when I started taking classes to date,
-my mom died in my arms after an 8 year battle with cancer
-my brother was killed in a tragic accident
-i was diagnosed with and beat a brain tumor which required brain surgery
I am graduating with a 3.0 and was considering some type of formal postbacc/masters or just taking upper level science classes. I have not yet taken the MCAT, and plan on taking it in the next month. My GPA shows a downward trend, but I’m confident that I can get a 4.0 in a masters or postbacc program.
I’m looking at programs with linkages, but wanted guidance on which ones I should consider. I would prefer to stay in michigan, but if an opportunity arises that would require me to move I would take it. I also really want to know if this is something I should consider applying this cycle with. I’m looking at wayne state university’s MS as they have a 2 year with a linkage provided I get a 3.7/505. I’m really looking for any guidance and appreciate all of your time

I have over 4000 clinical hours
Roughly 1000 volunteering hours
No research
1 science prof lor and 1 physician
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many MCAT practice tests have you taken? What were your scores on the last two taken under test conditions?
I have not yet been able to break 500. I do not want to take until I am consistently scoring higher than that, but I do practice questions daily and will continue to study for it
 
I have not yet been able to break 500. I do not want to take until I am consistently scoring higher than that, but I do practice questions daily and will continue to study for it
you're taking an enormous risk taking your MCAT next month when you haven't break 500 yet, MCAT is the saving grace of low gpa applicant, your goal is to show ADCOMs that your past grades do not represent you anymore, you should avoid any recent flaw in your stats, a low MCAT could kill your app, even a retake would be too risky. Additionaly, wayne state SMP linkage only gives interview, and you could still get rejected. I have heard of many people who were rejected from linkage programs and were scrambling last minute to put an app together

A significantly better plan would be to delay your MCAT and revise your study plan to score in 510s, then do a SMP/postbacc achieving a high GPA (ideally doing some research on the side). This will make your academic abilities undeniable and you would have a very solid shot at getting into a med school anywhere
 
you're taking an enormous risk taking your MCAT next month when you haven't break 500 yet, MCAT is the saving grace of low gpa applicant, your goal is to show ADCOMs that your past grades do not represent you anymore, you should avoid any recent flaw in your stats, a low MCAT could kill your app, even a retake would be too risky. Additionaly, wayne state SMP linkage only gives interview, and you could still get rejected. I have heard of many people who were rejected from linkage programs and were scrambling last minute to put an app together

A significantly better plan would be to delay your MCAT and revise your study plan to score in 510s, then do a SMP/postbacc achieving a high GPA (ideally doing some research on the side). This will make your academic abilities undeniable and you would have a very solid shot at getting into a med school anywhere
I understand and agree with you. I will not take the MCAT until I am breaking 510s on my practice scores. However, I will still need GPA repair and my main question specifically is what postbacc/smp should I look to do starting this summer/fall? I am applying for the wayne ACB, and Im also looking into the UofM MIP, but like you mentioned, there is no guarantee with either of those. I am also hearing that doing a diy 15-18 credit 1 year postbacc may be enough but I am unsure.
 
... I will still need GPA repair and my main question specifically is what postbacc/smp should I look to do starting this summer/fall? I am applying for the wayne ACB, and Im also looking into the UofM MIP, but like you mentioned, there is no guarantee with either of those. I am also hearing that doing a diy 15-18 credit 1 year postbacc may be enough but I am unsure.
 
I understand and agree with you. I will not take the MCAT until I am breaking 510s on my practice scores. However, I will still need GPA repair and my main question specifically is what postbacc/smp should I look to do starting this summer/fall? I am applying for the wayne ACB, and Im also looking into the UofM MIP, but like you mentioned, there is no guarantee with either of those. I am also hearing that doing a diy 15-18 credit 1 year postbacc may be enough but I am unsure.
personally I did a diy post bacc and had a pretty successful cycle. SMPs are very expensive and they will count toward you loan cap so it could be problematic down the line, and given your disadvantaged background ADCOMs will understand post bacc was the most accessible option. The main benefit of formal post-bacc is application guidance, however if you're proactive and can put your app together yourself you can do DIY and have the same results!. To show academic strength, you should ideally do the postbacc in person at a reputable 4 years university, but CC can work too. Just make sure you get all As!

I wish you luck on your journey!