GPA reset?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that this would be the best place to ask this question, since it really does affect my chances of getting into medical school.

I heard from a friend that if you transfer, your GPA was "reset." I was wondering, one, if that is even true, and two, if that counted for junior college students, or just 4yr-4yr freshmen or something. He was worried because he had a 3.8 at a junior college, then came to UCSD and has a 3.3.

I on the other hand, had a 3.0 at junior college, but then transferred to UCSD, changed majors from math to biophysics, and have a 3.6 with a 4.0 for my last year (there was a bit of a learning curve adjustment). I have a 36Q on my MCAT and have ~200 or so volunteer hours between hospital and campus associations. I also work 40+ hours as an EMT so I have over 1000 hours of medical field experience.

my cGPA is 3.38, but my UCSD gpa is 3.6. which one will be considered. The reason I ask is because if someone actually looks at my application, they would see an upward trend, ECs etc. If they just cut me off because I am under 3.5, that is bad. I want to go to a UC. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's your cumulative GPA that matters. Your friend is wrong.

With a cGPA of 3.38 your chances at a UC are basically non-existent, barring some other extenuating circumstance. You'll need to apply broadly and DO if you're interested in that. With that MCAT, you've given yourself a good shot at OOS schools.

You are required to submit a transcript from every college attended. Regardless of how your last school handled your transfer grades, AMCAS will recalculate everything according to its own rules. It all counts. Your upward trend will be appreciated. I''d agree that your chance at California allo schools is dismal, but with such a strong MCAT score, I do think that some of the less-selective OOS MD schools will consider you, provided you have strong ECs. You might consider delaying application for a year to allow for further GPA improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be afraid to consider the newer MD and DO schools. It's risky because they use the first class as guinea pigs for curriculum and there is no one to ask advice from (the newest one haven't graduated a class yet and/or the residency success haven't been determined). The good thing though that enough people are scared to apply so those that do get in with lower stats. Also the MSAR reports those that are accepted so you want at least 10th percentile for GPA but you have a great MCAT.

your chances for UC are very low unless you have extenuating circumstances or a very unique background. Even if you had a much higher gpa and the same MCAT score, we'd still say your chances were iffy. It's just recommended for all CA applicants that they apply to out of state as well.

As far as AMCAS goes, they count every grade for every class you've taken. But what your friend may have been talking about is your grade at you institution is essentially reset upon transfering. (may not always be the case)

For example I graduated from a JC with a GPA of 3.69 and my GPA on my degree from my university is a 3.88. My AMCAS GPA is 3.77. (an average of the two including every class I've taken) It worked out nice for me because on my four-year degree I graduated Magna Cum Laude, when my overall GPA suggests just Cum Laude.