GPA scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i just received my fall semester grades, and i was surprised that the university i transferred to (NIU) don't classifies the A's into A+, A, and A- and so on for the others. how would this look like on a transcript when no distinctions were made as they overestimate and underestimate the actual grades i received. i know the school gives out the cumulative GPA but it would be hard to ascertain the science gpa (how do you that BTW) if all the grades looked the same.

p.s i would have searched the forum but i didn't know the right search terms

Members don't see this ad.

so i just received my fall semester grades, and i was surprised that the university i transferred to (NIU) don't classifies the A's into A+, A, and A- and so on for the others. how would this look like on a transcript when no distinctions were made as they overestimate and underestimate the actual grades i received. i know the school gives out the cumulative GPA but it would be hard to ascertain the science gpa (how do you that BTW) if all the grades looked the same.

p.s i would have searched the forum but i didn't know the right search terms
GPA is calculated from original earned grades, not how they were transferred to your second school.

Last edited:
The med school application service will know your original grades because you will be obliged to have an official transcript sent from every college you attended.

The application service will use its own policies and numeric grade equivalents to calculate your application GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
so even if I read A's in my term grade the AAMC would read 95.3, 92.3 96.2, and so on. so how can I prep what grades I need to get a good AAMC GPA if I receive it only after sending my transcript. I read somewhere that AAMC goes on a 4.0 point scale where you report your grades. does that mean an A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1?
thanks for all the responses and sorry for the questions.

so even if I read A's in my term grade the AAMC would read 95.3, 92.3 96.2, and so on

No, AAMC will see "A", "B", etc or "A-", "B+" etc if the university where you originally took that course used a plus/minus letter grade system.

AAMC goes on a 4.0 point scale where you report your grades. does that mean an A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1?

Yes, this is correct. Letter grades are converted to grade points on a 4.0 scale.

More details about AMCAS grade calculation are here. I'd suggest reading through that completely as it will probably answer all of your questions.

No, AAMC will see "A", "B", etc or "A-", "B+" etc if the university where you originally took that course used a plus/minus letter grade system.

Yes, this is correct. Letter grades are converted to grade points on a 4.0 scale.

More details about AMCAS grade calculation are here. I'd suggest reading through that completely as it will probably answer all of your questions.
thank you very much, i'll star it to read later.
Is that how it is written in your transcripts?
no, i was just thinking it wouldn't be fair comparison of grades across schools if a 90% is considered an A in one school and an A- in another.

thank you very much, i'll star it to read later.

no, i was just thinki it wouldn't be fair comparison of grades across schools if a 90% is considered an A in one school and an A- in another.
Actually, I think it is more fair. Because these scales at individual schools may reflect how hard the courses were according to how everyone did in the class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I have actually been wondering this for a while. Every university in my state uses the A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0 grading scale, as far as I am aware. I was pretty surprised when I first starting reading these forums because it seems like nearly everyone uses the A+, A, A-, etc, grading scale. Is it true that most universities use this scale?

I initially thought this kind of gave us an unfair advantage. But then I thought that while a 90% is an A=4 for us and an A-<4(?) for others, an 88% is a B=3 for us and a B+>3(?) for others. So it think the grading scales more or less even out.

@begoood95 @Lilbird123 Am I correct in saying that ya’ll’s schools use an ABCDF grading system?

So I have actually been wondering this for a while. Every university in my state uses the A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0 grading scale, as far as I am aware. I was pretty surprised when I first starting reading these forums because it seems like nearly everyone uses the A+, A, A-, etc, grading scale. Is it true that most universities use this scale?

I initially thought this kind of gave us an unfair advantage. But then I thought that while a 90% is an A=4 for us and an A-<4(?) for others, an 88% is a B=3 for us and a B+>3(?) for others. So it think the grading scales more or less even out.

@begoood95 @Lilbird123 Am I correct in saying that ya’ll’s schools use an ABCDF grading system?
I attended 2 Universities and 3 colleges and all have +/-. But A+ is not given out because it really has the same 4.0 GPA as A.

Usually the scale is like this:

93+ = A = 4.0 GPA
90-92.9 = A- = 3.7
88-89.9 = B+ = 3.3
83-87.9 = B = 3.0
80-82.9 = B- = 2.7
and so on

Individual courses at the same school might have slightly different scale sometimes due to professors preferences, how hard the course is, grades distributions and so on.

Yup, mine does!

Actually, I think it is more fair. Because these scales at individual schools may reflect how hard the courses were according to how everyone did in the class.
What do you think about school that does: 90+ = A+, 85-89 = A, 80+ = A-, 77- = B+, and so on? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended 2 Universities and 3 colleges and all have +/-. But A+ is not given out because it really has the same 4.0 GPA as A.

Usually the scale is like this:

93+ = A = 4.0 GPA
90-92.9 = A- = 3.7
88-89.9 = B+ = 3.3
83-87.9 = B = 3.0
80-82.9 = B- = 2.7
and so on

Individual courses at the same school might have slightly different scale sometimes due to professors preferences, how hard the course is, grades distributions and so on.
Ahh, that’s interesting. Thanks for the insight!

Yes my university only does A, B, C, D, and F

I have 3 C's (2 freshmen year and one sophomore) and grades have all been As and Bs from there with a GPA of 3.65. Do I have any chance on getting in to MD schools?

no, i was just thinking it wouldn't be fair comparison of grades across schools if a 90% is considered an A in one school and an A- in another.
Just be so so so so so so grateful you don't go to these schools. That 3% difference is so small yet it's the reason for my intense stress rn

Yes, you'd have a chance at some MD schools, especially if you have a recent upward grade trend in the sciences, strong ECs, and/or you come from a state with lenient state schools.

Thanks so much! I come from a school where my advisor is so unhelpful he's pretty much non-existent lol. This helps me guage a sense of where im at. What MCAT score should I aim for to be a competitive MD applicant?

Thanks so much! I come from a school where my advisor is so unhelpful he's pretty much non-existent lol. This helps me guage a sense of where im at. What MCAT score should I aim for to be a competitive MD applicant?
For general purposes a 513+ would be nice. Rather than piggybacking on someone else's thread, you might consider starting a WAMC (What are my Chances) thread in that forum to give a full sense of what your application is like and get more targeted advice.