GPA Screening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agito13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have heard that a good amount of MD schools do preliminary screenings based solely on GPA and MCAT. First, I would like to know if it is overall GPA or just BCPM gpa? Second, as such, I would like to know GPA-wise, do they screen only the pre-requisites or the overall BCPM GPA including upper-level science courses? I have heard one such person state that a school (I don't know which) screens only an applicant's pre-requisite BCPM GPA and doesn't give any regards to upper level science courses, although I am not sure if this is true. For example, lets say person 1 and 2 both have the exact same BCPM, aka 3.60. However, person 1 has 2 C's in his pre-reqs BUT has 2 A's in upper level science courses to counterbalance the 2 C's, while person 2 just has B's in pretty much the same courses and still wound up w/ the same BCPM has person 1. Would both be regarded the same in a GPA screening, or would person 2 be looked more favorably? Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

The screening process differs from school to school, and there's no consensus on exactly how schools screen for various components of the GPA.

Personally, the person who went from C's --> A's should get a leg up over someone who got straight B's, simply due to the upward trend (a high grade in upper division implies that they've corrected the mistakes that brought down their grade in lower division courses). Of course, like you said, some adcoms might only care about pre-reqs, so it's all a crapshoot at the end of the day.