GPA took a nose dive and not sure what to do... advice requested.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GabrielleD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My GPA took a massive nosedive and I have reached the point of exhaustion. I'd appreciate some advice.

I was born in Japan, and I am Japanese. My parents left the country in hopes for a better life when I was five, and I lived in England for four years, while my father studied on very limited funds (and avoiding the payment office) to get his masters. I came to the US when I was nine and we were about to go on the streets for a while. My father is a Ph.D candidate but he is working 80 hours a week while writing his thesis, so it's tough for him. My mother was in an car accident two months after we arrived, incapacitating her to the point she can no longer read (I mean anything. Even cooking directions). I've taken care of her since then, helping her with secretarial matters. She stays in for the most of the time, but she does need to take care of the house so any "going out" requires a driver, aka my father or me.

Anyway, I went to high school here, got excellent grades, did tons of ECs while juggling a part-time job as a model after battling a weight problem and eating disorder. Because I was on the verge of breakdown, my parents decided to send me back to England for further education. I went to med school for two years there, but living alone by myself (I'm an only child), working to alleviate financial costs on my parents, and the entirely different system of education led to me failing out by two points on the exam.

Defeated, I returned, took a gap year recuperating from my shattered dreams, three suicide attempts and interventions. I reapplied as a transfer student and started as a sophomore at a local university (Tier 1, mid-size, started off as liberal arts, e.t.c.) as a Physics major and chem/math minor. Trying to get back into studying habits after a year of fighting off another wave of anorexia took its toll, and I got C's in Organic Chemistry, and not due to lack of effort (I probably don't understand how to study for chemistry in general). The following semester was a little easier, but Physical Chemistry I still kicked me. But I still had a 3.46 GPA, despite Mondays and Wednesdays being completely gone (I'd come home around 8:30, eat dinner, then just crash due to fatigue). I was named the concertmistress of the university orchestra as well, and while this was my only way of unwinding, it was an added pressure.

Then this semester came, and my parents got notified that my grandmother passed away. My mother and she were on very bad terms, and we were not invited to the funeral, but my uncle decided to embezzle the inheritance (quite a sum of money, it seems). The war began, and due to my mother's incapacity I had to call back home almost every night for the past semester (time difference); I'd stay up until five in the morning, trying to sort out legal matters that I had very little knowledge to, get an hour of sleep, then try to function on that all day. It didn't work.

As the result, my GPA took a nose dive and it's currently at 3.2 (BCPM 2.8...). I passed all my classes, including the Math Methods in which 50% of the class dropped out, but just barely. I did pass biochem with a B+ (not stellar, but better than average). I decided not to take my MCATs in May because I knew I won't do well in it yet; I've started studying for it as soon as summer holidays hit.

Overall, I'm feeling tired, discouraged, and as if walls are closing in. I have 80 hours or so of volunteering, not to mention my hours at hospitals/clinics back when I was a medical student, and am in two research labs, with one authorship.

My professors are all puzzled. They say in unison that they can't figure out why I'm not doing well in classes I don't get A's in; evidently I'm either an intelligent person who's having a roadblock, or I'm an excellent con-woman. Either way, I know the GPA's pretty much slammed the door. But I can't give up now, after 20 years of going at it.

So, after the life-biography, my questions are the following:

1. Do I have a shot at MD/PhD (I want a PhD, MD is secondary for me), in an impossible situation of getting a high score in MCAT? My practice tests have scored over 35s. I am in my 3rd week of studying. Given that I'll average 3.7 for the next two semesters until I graduate, I can bring up my GPA to 3.4.

2. Should I go for my Ph.D first? I will probably be going back to Europe for my Ph.D, since a lot of their institutions offer free tuitions.

3. What are the benefits of DOs? I've seen polar opinions with "DOs get sneezed at" and "DOs work just like MDs", but I've never seen a DO physician in my life, even during my time working as an assistant at a university hospital. I want to do research in the end, so I'm not sure how a DO degree would work out.

I am well aware that getting an MD would be termed lucky for someone in my situation; I've started seeing a psychiatrist, neurologist and a gastroenterologist after my migraines, my eating disorder, sleeping disorder and my IBS got worse; at one point it was so bad my teeth fell out, so hopefully I'm on my way to recovery.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

1. Do I have a shot at MD/PhD (I want a PhD, MD is secondary for me), in an impossible situation of getting a high score in MCAT? My practice tests have scored over 35s. I am in my 3rd week of studying. Given that I'll average 3.7 for the next two semesters until I graduate, I can bring up my GPA to 3.4.

2. Should I go for my Ph.D first? I will probably be going back to Europe for my Ph.D, since a lot of their institutions offer free tuitions.

3. What are the benefits of DOs? I've seen polar opinions with "DOs get sneezed at" and "DOs work just like MDs", but I've never seen a DO physician in my life, even during my time working as an assistant at a university hospital. I want to do research in the end, so I'm not sure how a DO degree would work out.

I am well aware that getting an MD would be termed lucky for someone in my situation; I've started seeing a psychiatrist, neurologist and a gastroenterologist after my migraines, my eating disorder, sleeping disorder and my IBS got worse; at one point it was so bad my teeth fell out, so hopefully I'm on my way to recovery.

Thanks in advance.

1. your chances for md/ph.d are really low. not trying to own your dreams but you have to be a little realistic. I'm not sure what med schools will say when you already failed out of european medical school but I think this may make them question your capabilities along with the recent trend of Cs.

2. no idea how that works for Europe, someone else may know.

3. Ask yourself this, what matters to you more prestige, glory seeking, and ego building or helping others? Because the people that "sneeze at" DOs typically don't understand what a DO is and think medicine is about making THOSE HUGE DOLLAHS. Essentially, a DO is the same thing, but god forbid some people have the initials DO by their name instead of MD; some people freak out about this. A lot of people that do DO go into primary care; but there are still many options and oppurtunities as a DO.

it may be a good idea to try to establish a huge upward trend in upper level classes to show your recent failures were a fluke. Also you need to work on getting your disorders under control or all of it will be for nothing. Also, you may want to ask around and find out exactly how much failing out of european med school hurts you because this is potentially a huge red flag. Not sure what adcoms will think, you may want to email schools and ask their opinions. Find what works for you, do it, and keep your eyes on your goal.

Good luck to you.

As the result, my GPA took a nose dive and it's currently at 3.2 (BCPM 2.8...).

I am well aware that getting an MD would be termed lucky for someone in my situation;

1. MD/PhD is super competitive. Since you are essentially getting paid to go to medical school for 6 years, most people who apply are either really interested in research or have amazing GPA, MCAT scores, and ECs (publications). Im afraid that you honestly aren't MD/PhD material since your gpa is subpar compared to the average md/phd matriculant and nowhere in your post did I see a commitment to research or research experience.

2. If your main goal is a PhD and MD is inessential for you then by all means go for it. Phd programs in general aren't that competitive to get into, mind you the job outlook post degree looks pretty grim.

3. DO treatment varies on where you go; in the midwest they are typically looked as equals to MDs, however in cities like NYC, DOs are occasionally looked down upon by MDs (this comes from experience volunteering at hospitals). Again this isn't prevalent everywhere and I'm not trying to start an MD v. DO thread, but it does exist. But essentially they are the same thing.

If you are really interested in research there are programs that allow you to apply into a PhD program after your first year of med school. But yeah like you said: "I am well aware that getting an MD would be termed lucky for someone in my situation"

Best of luck

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

My GPA took a massive nosedive and I have reached the point of exhaustion. I'd appreciate some advice.

I was born in Japan, and I am Japanese. My parents left the country in hopes for a better life when I was five, and I lived in England for four years, while my father studied on very limited funds (and avoiding the payment office) to get his masters. I came to the US when I was nine and we were about to go on the streets for a while. My father is a Ph.D candidate but he is working 80 hours a week while writing his thesis, so it's tough for him. My mother was in an car accident two months after we arrived, incapacitating her to the point she can no longer read (I mean anything. Even cooking directions). I've taken care of her since then, helping her with secretarial matters. She stays in for the most of the time, but she does need to take care of the house so any "going out" requires a driver, aka my father or me.

Anyway, I went to high school here, got excellent grades, did tons of ECs while juggling a part-time job as a model after battling a weight problem and eating disorder. Because I was on the verge of breakdown, my parents decided to send me back to England for further education. I went to med school for two years there, but living alone by myself (I'm an only child), working to alleviate financial costs on my parents, and the entirely different system of education led to me failing out by two points on the exam.

Defeated, I returned, took a gap year recuperating from my shattered dreams, three suicide attempts and interventions. I reapplied as a transfer student and started as a sophomore at a local university (Tier 1, mid-size, started off as liberal arts, e.t.c.) as a Physics major and chem/math minor. Trying to get back into studying habits after a year of fighting off another wave of anorexia took its toll, and I got C's in Organic Chemistry, and not due to lack of effort (I probably don't understand how to study for chemistry in general). The following semester was a little easier, but Physical Chemistry I still kicked me. But I still had a 3.46 GPA, despite Mondays and Wednesdays being completely gone (I'd come home around 8:30, eat dinner, then just crash due to fatigue). I was named the concertmistress of the university orchestra as well, and while this was my only way of unwinding, it was an added pressure.

Then this semester came, and my parents got notified that my grandmother passed away. My mother and she were on very bad terms, and we were not invited to the funeral, but my uncle decided to embezzle the inheritance (quite a sum of money, it seems). The war began, and due to my mother's incapacity I had to call back home almost every night for the past semester (time difference); I'd stay up until five in the morning, trying to sort out legal matters that I had very little knowledge to, get an hour of sleep, then try to function on that all day. It didn't work.

As the result, my GPA took a nose dive and it's currently at 3.2 (BCPM 2.8...). I passed all my classes, including the Math Methods in which 50% of the class dropped out, but just barely. I did pass biochem with a B+ (not stellar, but better than average). I decided not to take my MCATs in May because I knew I won't do well in it yet; I've started studying for it as soon as summer holidays hit.

Overall, I'm feeling tired, discouraged, and as if walls are closing in. I have 80 hours or so of volunteering, not to mention my hours at hospitals/clinics back when I was a medical student, and am in two research labs, with one authorship.

My professors are all puzzled. They say in unison that they can't figure out why I'm not doing well in classes I don't get A's in; evidently I'm either an intelligent person who's having a roadblock, or I'm an excellent con-woman. Either way, I know the GPA's pretty much slammed the door. But I can't give up now, after 20 years of going at it.

So, after the life-biography, my questions are the following:

Thanks in advance.

1. I dropped out university twice before getting into pharmacy. Failed two classes. Yet, I have 3.9/4.0. Took 4 years to fix it though. Yes, you have a shot, but not with 3.4. Aim for 4.0, why 3.7? Study for a few more years if you have to. Listen, if your dream is to obtain MD/PhD, don't give up. Make sure you do the work and boost your GPA, and everything is going to be okay. Take some time off if you have to as well. Knowing when you are fit to study is just as important as studying for classes and the MCAT.

2. You could aim for PhD, but I don't think you would go for MD upon completion. Why would you? 4 years + at least 3 more years for residency to practice medicine.
I mean.. some people enjoy studying, but I think 14 years is a bit too much. I would rather try to aim the combined MD/PhD program.

3. DO is just as good as MD because if you work hard you can get hold of pretty much any residency that you want. You would be just as competent as those who have MD. It is not about the degree, but it is more about what kind of doctor you would be in the future.

Im afraid that you honestly aren't MD/PhD material since your gpa is subpar compared to the average md/phd matriculant and nowhere in your post did I see a commitment to research or research experience.

I have stated that I am in two research lab groups and one authorship. Does that not count...?

I have stated that I am in two research lab groups and one authorship. Does that not count...?

I apologize I didn't notice that (your post was more or less a wall of text lol).
Yes it does count, but your main problem is gpa:

This is the data for md/phd applicants and matriculates from 2008-2011
https://www.aamc.org/download/161878/data/table45-mdphd-mcatgpa-2011.pdf

If you take a look at the second page which shows the average gpa for matriculation. Your gpa (assuming you get a 3.4) below the mean by ~ 1.5 standard deviations, so md/phd it is relatively unlikely.