GPA trashed first 2 years. chances? on track now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffdoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I go to a four year public university. I am 20 years old, my major is chemistry and I am minoring in mathematics. This will be my junior year going into college in the fall. I partied a lot the first 2 years in college, and my GPA suffered a lot. I have made up my mind and have decided to buckle down and do whatever it takes to succeed now.

My GPA: 90 credits @ 2.79......( I want to point out I got a 3.1 last quarter, 4.0 this quarter (only 1 class taken), and plan on doing well from now on)
Key Grades: Chem 121: B
Chem 122: B-
Chem 123: C
Bio 204: B
Bio 205: C+
Chem 351: B-
Phys 121: C+
Phys 122: B
My Extracurricular's:I have over 150 hours of volunteer service at the hospital. I also volunteer at local elementary school's every week to mentor children. I have started shadowing doctors, I am on the board for a school club, I play sports through my university, this year I also plan on getting involved in undergraduate research. I have also had part time jobs in the fast food and computer software industry.

My main question is what are my chances considering I get 3.7+ gpa every quarter from now on. What are my chances in getting into a medical school or an optometry school as I am both pre-med and pre-optometry. Please help, I have finally buckled down and decided what I want to do in life. I just hope it is not too late. Please be honest with me as well, I want the truth not something to make me feel better. THANKS!
user_online.gif

Members don't see this ad.

First of all you are being honest, saying you didn't make the right decision at first. Because I am in the same boat as you. But if you start to make good grades towards the end which are the hardest classes, they may over look the beginning grades.

My bf did the same when applying for medical school even though i know this isn't pre-med forum but he applied and got in. However he had a lot of experience to go with his application.

I think if you do better now and get a good OAT score. And get a lot of experience in the field, then you may have a shot.:)

From what I understand, the OAT can save you. I think if you have below a 3.0 in a class, they overlook it if that section of the OAT is above 330.