UHCO Admittance Chances Around Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello!

I just recently finished my interview with UHCO. I quite like the school with its myriad of research opportunities and plethora of clinical chances. I was overall surprised that I got an interview for this school since my numbers are slightly below their expectations - my work experience though is quite good, in my opinion.

That being said, I'm aware that this was a very late interview regarding the time-line, so I'm wondering how this affects my chances to get admitted into UHCO. I thought my interview went somewhat okay sans one question, but I'm worried that I'm going to get shoved into the alternate list overall.

So...two questions:

-Is it possible to get an A at this point at UHCO?

-If one gets sent to the alternate list, how likely is it to get into an A into the class?

-How likely / often do interviewed folks get post-interview R's at UHCO?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I interviewed with UHCO on 2/10 (which is still a pretty late interview in my opinion) and was accepted! It is definitely possible to get accepted now and I'm sure they will continue accepting people until the deadline. I can't really answer your other questions, but I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I interviewed with UHCO on 2/10 (which is still a pretty late interview in my opinion) and was accepted! It is definitely possible to get accepted now and I'm sure they will continue accepting people until the deadline. I can't really answer your other questions, but I hope this helps!

Thanks for responding!

How was your interview? How were your numbers compared to the average for the school?

Also, when did you get your interview results back - a week later?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding!

How was your interview? How were your numbers compared to the average for the school?

Also, when did you get your interview results back - a week later?

Thanks!
You're welcome! I think my interview was good, the interviewers were super sweet and it was conversational. My overall/science GPA is 3.85/3.83 and my OAT was 380AA/390TS. I interviewed with them a few days before the snow storm hit TX so it took a bit longer to get my results, I heard back on 2/22! I've seen a few people hear back the Monday/Tuesday following their interview if you were curious about that!

You're welcome! I think my interview was good, the interviewers were super sweet and it was conversational. My overall/science GPA is 3.85/3.83 and my OAT was 380AA/390TS. I interviewed with them a few days before the snow storm hit TX so it took a bit longer to get my results, I heard back on 2/22! I've seen a few people hear back the Monday/Tuesday following their interview if you were curious about that!
Wow! Your numbers are in incredible! My interviewers were a bit more formal and less emotive than prior folks.

Wow! Your numbers are in incredible! My interviewers were a bit more formal and less emotive than prior folks.
Thank you!! One of my friends that interviewed today said his interviewers were more formal too so I don't think that's something to worry about! I'm sure you did great :)

Thank you!! One of my friends that interviewed today said his interviewers were more formal too so I don't think that's something to worry about! I'm sure you did great :)
I just hate getting added to WLs.

...and heaven forbid if I get rejected after the interview. I don’t know how common that is at this school.

I don’t live in Texas, but I did see that UHCO accepted my state in the past...

I just hate getting added to WLs.

...and heaven forbid if I get rejected after the interview. I don’t know how common that is at this school.

I don’t live in Texas, but I did see that UHCO accepted my state in the past...
I think you'll be fine, they invited you for an interview because they want you at their school! I'm not too sure about their criteria for acceptances either, even more so since they changed the interview style to closed file this year. But for reference I am a TX resident!

I think you'll be fine, they invited you for an interview because they want you at their school! I'm not too sure about their criteria for acceptances either, even more so since they changed the interview style to closed file this year. But for reference I am a TX resident!
Man...closed file both helped (didn’t reveal my iffy early college grades) and hindered (had to fight during the conversation to talk about my work) me.

I saw on a past thread that they usually accept those they choose to interview? I don’t know how true that is though :p...

Man...closed file both helped (didn’t reveal my iffy early college grades) and hindered (had to fight during the conversation to talk about my work) me.

I saw on a past thread that they usually accept those they choose to interview? I don’t know how true that is though :p...
Yeah I definitely like closed file interviews as well! I'm not too sure about how true that is, but I feel like they are more holistic with acceptances this cycle. For example, one of my friends had a ~3.6 GPA/310 OAT and was accepted, while I saw someone else on this forum with a pretty high GPA/OAT like 3.7/390? got waitlisted. So I don't think stats are everything this cycle and maybe interviews are more important; not trying to be negative, but I don't want to sugarcoat anything either.

Yeah I definitely like closed file interviews as well! I'm not too sure about how true that is, but I feel like they are more holistic with acceptances this cycle. For example, one of my friends had a ~3.6 GPA/310 OAT and was accepted, while I saw someone else on this forum with a pretty high GPA/OAT like 3.7/390? got waitlisted. So I don't think stats are everything this cycle and maybe interviews are more important; not trying to be negative, but I don't want to sugarcoat anything either.
That is concerning to me...mainly because I don’t think my interview went that hot.

Oh well...

That is concerning to me...mainly because I don’t think my interview went that hot.

Oh well...
Sorry I didn't mean to come off as negative, but just trying to keep it real with you. Those are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt. The examples are just for reference, every applicant is different!! Like I said earlier, you probably did great :) you never know until they call!

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as negative, but just trying to keep it real with you. Those are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt. The examples are just for reference, every applicant is different!! Like I said earlier, you probably did great :) you never know until they call!
Of course. This sort of application is mercurial...and beggars can’t be choosers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wonder if any other UHCO applicants, acceptees or current students can comment :).

Hey, I interviewed on 02/10, was added to the alternate list/waitlist on 02/23 :/
I don't know how often and if I will be off the wait list but UHCO was and is my #1 choice since I did go to UH. My stats were a GPA of ~3.1/310 OAT. I know they were lower than their average stats but I have quite a lot of experience, lots of shadowing hours/extracurriculars/volunteering and am still working as an optometric technician for over a whole year. My interview was a bit intimidating tbh, the faculty was nice but I feel like they were more concerned towards academics than my actual passion for the field. I don't know but that just may be me. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions or know anything else!

• Care
Hey, I interviewed on 02/10, was added to the alternate list/waitlist on 02/23 :/
I don't know how often and if I will be off the wait list but UHCO was and is my #1 choice since I did go to UH. My stats were a GPA of ~3.1/310 OAT. I know they were lower than their average stats but I have quite a lot of experience, lots of shadowing hours/extracurriculars/volunteering and am still working as an optometric technician for over a whole year. My interview was a bit intimidating tbh, the faculty was nice but I feel like they were more concerned towards academics than my actual passion for the field. I don't know but that just may be me. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions or know anything else!
That is kind of where my numbers are...and I didn't go to UH.

I'm probably going to get added to the waitlist O_O.

Thanks for responding!

Thanks for responding!
No problem! You never know what could happen so I will keep you updated if I do get off the waitlist. Let me know what decision is made towards your admission there. Anyways, good luck!! :)

No problem! You never know what could happen so I will keep you updated if I do get off the waitlist. Let me know what decision is made towards your admission there. Anyways, good luck!! :)
Thank you very much.

I just hate being on wait-lists. So much uncertainty.

I interviewed on the same day as you. My interview was strange. They asked 8+ questions on my study habits, but no questions about my experience in optometry (though I had mentioned it in my opening comments with them). I got an email yesterday saying I was waitlisted. I interviewed with the pharmacologist and biomedical engineer.

Best of luck!

I interviewed on the same day as you. My interview was strange. They asked 8+ questions on my study habits, but no questions about my experience in optometry (though I had mentioned it in my opening comments with them). I got an email yesterday saying I was waitlisted. I interviewed with the pharmacologist and biomedical engineer.

Best of luck!

I was waitlisted too. Maybe that is the expectation from now on for school interviews unless you are exceptional...

Thanks for responding!
I am just curious. How many people would be on the UHCO waitlist? Is it a long list and how do they select application, if there is an open seat?

Best of luck!
What were your stats like? And, can you tell me more about the kind of questions they posed at you in regards with study habits?

I am just curious. How many people would be on the UHCO waitlist? Is it a long list and how do they select application, if there is an open seat?
They didn’t mention how many people on the waitlist. They just said it was short...whatever that means.