GPA Trend and Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took 5 years to graduate, but AMCAS counted my last two years both as senior. As a result, my grade trend is like this:

High school (took college level classes - 10 credits): 3.25

Freshman (30 credits): 3.70

Sophomore (30 credits): 3.25

Junior (30 credits): 3.03

Senior (2 years, 56 credits): 3.77

Overall cGPA/sGPA: 3.47/3.53
MCAT (if relevant): 514 (129/128/129/128, retake from a 504)

Should I explain this in my "anything else" secondaries? I don't want to unnecessarily draw attention to my abysmal junior year. My father was diagnosed with a chronic illness in the spring semester of my sophomore year. None of his medications worked, and it was pretty stressful on top of trying to finish an engineering degree and a biochemistry degree in four years. I ended up taking 5 years, and my last two years have really strong grades. If it helps, I have really strong grades in upper level biochemistry courses that I took for my second major. I have a BC in OChem, a C in biochem, and two Cs in engineering classes. I would really appreciate some insight on this! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Explain the bad junior year if given the opportunity
Great, thank you for the advice. Can I discuss anxiety related to my dad’s health or is that a no? He had a heart attack and went pulselrss in front of me when I was 12 (my why medicine story), and I overcame a lot of anxiety and learned healthy coping habits to deal with it. His health still isn’t good, but my grades show I’ve grown. I’m just worried it’ll raise a red flag to discuss that.