GPA versus experience+GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted797640

New to forums never wrote on one before but here it goes :)

cGPA is low end at 2.96, pre req gpa is higher at 3.3 but still not great
B.S. in biology from UC Irvine
GRE scores verbal 152, quantitative 157 and writing 4.0, I didn't for the test and these scores were above the average accepted for the schools I am planning on applying to so I did not retake the test but will do so if I do not get in this year which is very likely I would assume knowing how competitive it is.
Work experience: I would say in combination of the medical field I have over 5,000 hours of experience. I started with BLS and First responder and volunteering as a fire explorer and then transitioned to life guarding until I got my EMT licenses at 18 and then taught and proctored EMT courses. Following that I worked as a Pharmacy technician and got my license for that as well. I then continued and worked as an ER scribe at a level 1 trauma center which was an insane and rewarding job, following that I got a job as a PT aide at an outpatient office and have been working there for over a year and have about 1,200 hours there. I also have good letters of rec from PT's and professors in my major.

I know the GPA is low but I am hoping there is a chance I can make it into a PT school and they will look at me as a whole vs. a number. I will be applying to Tuoro nevada, NYIT, St.Aug, CSUN, AT still, Regis and Mercer. Would love some advice or conversation on this matter :D

Members don't see this ad.

Would also like to add I am very active have done sports my whole life and run a fitness styled blog not that these things will make a large impact but I guess they help.

Do you meet the minimum GPAs for the schools you are applying to? If so, there is a chance. However, in my experience, my schools weighed my GPA much higher than any work/medical experience I had. I had to reapply another year and raise my GPA. It's sad, but the reality at many schools. The issue is, you potentially won't make the first cut with low numbers. No one will bother reading your essays and looking at the whole person unless you make the first round. Again, in my personal experience, I felt that my schools made the first cut solely based on GPA and GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're cGPA is very low. Most schools have a minimum of at least a 3.1. This is going to really narrow down where you can apply. Your prereq GPA isn't that great either. PT schools aren't looking to see how much experience you have in the medical field. They want to see how much PT experience you have. Yes, you have 1200 hours, but that's only in 1 setting. Schools would rather see less hours in multiple settings than more hours in one setting. My advice would be to retake some of your classes, especially your prereqs, and get out an explore other therapy settings to gain more clinical experience.

New to forums never wrote on one before but here it goes :)

cGPA is low end at 2.96, pre req gpa is higher at 3.3 but still not great
B.S. in biology from UC Irvine
GRE scores verbal 152, quantitative 157 and writing 4.0, I didn't for the test and these scores were above the average accepted for the schools I am planning on applying to so I did not retake the test but will do so if I do not get in this year which is very likely I would assume knowing how competitive it is.
Work experience: I would say in combination of the medical field I have over 5,000 hours of experience. I started with BLS and First responder and volunteering as a fire explorer and then transitioned to life guarding until I got my EMT licenses at 18 and then taught and proctored EMT courses. Following that I worked as a Pharmacy technician and got my license for that as well. I then continued and worked as an ER scribe at a level 1 trauma center which was an insane and rewarding job, following that I got a job as a PT aide at an outpatient office and have been working there for over a year and have about 1,200 hours there. I also have good letters of rec from PT's and professors in my major.

I know the GPA is low but I am hoping there is a chance I can make it into a PT school and they will look at me as a whole vs. a number. I will be applying to Tuoro nevada, NYIT, St.Aug, CSUN, AT still, Regis and Mercer. Would love some advice or conversation on this matter :D
I got into St Aug in Austin with 3.03 GPA, 3.2 prereq GPA, 314 GRE, and 2500+ hours in just an outpatient ortho clinic.

Now a second year PT student, GA and board member for student clinic. Got into two schools TSU and MGH. Crushing the program easily.

Now a second year PT student, GA and board member for student clinic. Got into two schools TSU and MGH. Crushing the program easily.
Did you get in on first try and did you meet their min GPA?