Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

GPA vs. Early Submission

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zidrem, Jan 1, 2009.

1. zidrem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

Excuse me for what initially might seem as kind of a ridiculous question, but I go to Northwestern, which is on a quarter system, meaning that I will not get my Spring grades back until about June 18. The problem is that, of course I would like to just submit the AMCAS application on June 1 as soon as it opens, but actually I am taking three BCPM classes in Spring, all of which I am completely certain I will get a 4.0 in.

After all of the math is done, the difference will between a 3.88 (not including spring) or 3.90 (including spring). I realize that this is only a .02 difference (which realistically is not significant), but in this case it is also the difference between a 3.8 or a 3.9 (the latter of which would seem to stand out quite a bit more, despite the tiny difference).

I realize that my science GPA is fine already, but I am shooting for schools like U of Chicago and Baylor, so I feel like every little bit helps given how arbitrary the selection process can be sometimes. What would be the relative importance of submitting it 2 weeks earlier vs. having the extra .02 points on the GPA? For those of you that speak highly to the importance of submitting it immediately, how do you even know that this truly makes a difference? Thirdly, would it be possible/helpful to fill in the grades earlier (as soon as I get confirmations of the grades from the professors) before sending my transcript?

Another thing to consider is that 2 of the 3 classes are genchem III and orgo III, meaning that their respective grades may be more important to med schools than other higher-level, extraneous science classes.

Sorry for the specific question, I did read some other posts regarding this issue, but they involved a much larger gradient in GPA (2.6 vs 3.0) and time of submission (June vs. August); hopefully this information will apply to multiple people coming from quarter-schools.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It's not going to matter. Earlier is better b/c the longer you wait, the longer it takes to verify.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It won't matter, and it will give you something to "update" your file with in the Fall if you feel like you need to rattle the cage at some med school...

But I don't think waiting until June 18 for a grade report should matter, either...you will still be very early.

4. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    When I applied in 2006, I submitted my AMCAS app on June 23 and I was verified on July 13. Even though I submitted my app on the 23rd, I was probably earlier than 90% of the applicants to medical school. SDN can sometimes become so encompassing that it seems like everyone is on here, but that isn't the case. What you see on SDN usually is the elite...the early risers...the type A's (whatever you call it, it is certainly a small subset). I don't think submitting on June 1st compared to June 18th will kill you at all. As long as it has been submitted in June you are ahead of many of the normal applicants. You may be late by SDNs standards but you won't hurt yourself. I was personally a GPA ***** in undergrad, so I personally would have waited for the 3.9...you never know how it could help you. Just my .02

5. slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady slowbutsteady
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    not even a close call. apply early.

6. zidrem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your advice; honestly I am the same way and am a little OCD about my GPA. It really is hard for me to see two weeks in the primary application making any sort of difference in the outcome. I can however see how making the cut to a 3.9 could put you in a different "group" of people in the eyes of adcoms. I guess both of these statements are just speculating, but I think I would feel better knowing that I got those spring quarter grades on there, rather than concern myself with the marginal 2 weeks difference in submission time.

7. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    3.88 or 3.9.......its not going to make one bit of difference. Apply as early as you can, do not wait for spring grades. If a school is going to reject you for a 3.88 (which would never happen) then it certainly would not change for a 3.9, its like the same thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 19nbj58

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You are fine either way. June 1st and ~June 18th are both early. 3.88 and 3.90 are both high gpas. Neither decision is going to adversely affect your app. Dont let these neurotic premeds freak you out.

9. EP123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would wait. 2 weeks in early June will not make a difference. GChem III and Ochem III are good classes to have on the transcript. If your on a quarter system, does this mean your just completing your final quarter of Gchem?

Anyway, I am in a similar situation as you are (3.78 vs. 3.81) and I am going to wait a couple weeks to get those final classes in. I'm a 3rd year and I think it would be a good idea to have those extra classes and gpa boost.

10. PandaBrewMaster

PandaBrewMaster w00tcakes
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are 100% sure that you have A's in all those classes, just wait the two weeks and submit it june 18th or whatever. Two weeks that early in june isnt going to hurt you one single bit. Hell I dont think the med schools even start looking at your apps and stuff till later. Such a small subset of total med school applicants submit their apps in june, much less on the first day that AMCAS opens. dont let SDN freak you out with "omg submitting end of june!? youre screwed!" two more weeks in june isnt going to hurt you at all, id rather just wait for the GPA thing to come out. As small as it might be, 3.88 vs 3.90 maybe still has some kind of instant gut-reaction first-look psycological reaction, how far that goes I have no idea. But id just submit june 18th. Your app will look more complete that way anyway. Hell i didnt submit till early august and it's all worked out fine.

11. dhbighit

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, this is really simple in my opinion. Apply with the 3.88 early, assuming you have a decent MCAT you WILL get the same interviews you would have. Then, if you get a 3.9 after spring, update it before your interview. Thats what I would do.

Don't worry about it to much though. I second 19nb, don't let stressed out pre-meds freak you out, .02 is not significant enough to make much, if any, of a difference

12. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Again, the GPA difference is negligible. But if you are really worried about it, this is what you can do. AMCAS allows you to put in present/future courses. You dont input a grade, but it still lists that you have a course. You can submit your primary application as stated, that way you are at least in line for verification. Then, you just send an updated transcript soon after you get your final grades in.

Either way its not going to matter. Two weeks later in June isnt going to make a difference, and .02 increase in GPA isnt going to make a difference. With a good MCAT score, you will be fine.

13. chessknt87

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    If you are a junior, you should wait for the Spring grades. It puts you at almost no disadvantage to be verified mid July and you erase any doubts that you are hiding something from your spring quarter grades. If you are a senior, go for early application.

14. flipz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The extra couple of weeks on the primary really won't set you back at all. Do make sure to cover the obvious things of submitting secondaries in a timely fashion (which don't really start rolling in till end of June/early July anyway?), and LORS!! Those suckers are what can really hinder a complete application.

15. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I agree.

The timing of your app and the 0.02 GPA points will not make a difference if your committee letter (if Northwestern uses one) and your LORs are not ready to go. Ensure that your secondaries are mailed back quickly with essays and LORs and photos and $$$ to truly make a difference.

If it really means that much to you, however, my vote is an earlier primary submission with sooner verification. Updating schools later about your grades will be a pain in the butt since you have to tell them all individually, but it's just 0.02 points and if that's the only thing that kills your app, then you're a very lucky (or unlucky) person.

16. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools require that juniors send in the spring grades with AMCAS (forget which ones). That aside, either way it does not matter at all.

17. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i don't see a difference b/t a 3.88 and 3.9

apply early.

18. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Since when??? I did not submit my spring quarter grades...

19. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I agree. AMCAS sends all completed applications as a data dump sometime in mid-late July and then continues to dump data regularly (weekly, daily, I'm not sure) until the last of the applications are dumped in October or November. A few years ago the dean of admissions told me that 25% of the year's applications arrived on day #1. So, you could apply as early as possible and still wind up last in the "early" group of 800-2000. How applications are sorted and reviewed after the dump might favor the person with the highest gpa or highest MCAT or some combination.

20. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would wait, actually, if I were in your shoes. But only if you're 100% sure that the classes will improve your GPA.

I applied end of June and heard back from both Baylor (accepted 10/21) and UChicago (rejected 8/24 -- still the only school that has rejected me to date) very early.

The key is getting your secondaries in on time. Also, I get the feeling UChicago does care about your grades perhaps more than some places. This is just based on who I've seen be successful and who hasn't been successful (me, for one).

Good luck either way.

21. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree... my grades actually dropped after Spring Quarter:eek:, so I am glad I submit my application before...

22. chessknt87

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Yea but you sent your transcript to every school after that at huge expense to yourself :S

Oh nm, I thought you sent it to every school. Maybe it doesnt matter then. I waited and it didnt hurt me at all.

#22 chessknt87, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009