GPA vs ECs and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAOL93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BA in physiological psychology and minor in Biology. My gpa is 3.5, but I used the AMCAS spreadsheet calculator and it turns out that my gpa is 3.1 and sgpa is 2.7. Which is very disappointing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Confused about the GPA calculation. If your GPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 2.7, I have no idea where that 3.5 came from. You need GPA recovery in addition to a good MCAT score to be competitive for MD/DO. Sadly, research is nice, but it is not going to carry an application. You need to ask yourself if medicine is worth the time and risk - if you don't accept the job and study MCAT full time, take post-bac classes, and build extracurriculars for your app there is still no guarantee that you will get into a medical school. On the other hand - research coordinator sounds good, get you some income, can spend more time with your kids, work on moving up in academia maybe (PhD needed).

If you want to be a doctor, decline job, take post-bac for GPA repair, score 515+ on MCAT, work on ECs, and apply MD and DO. This thread is relevant to you.

GL

Yes, I don't understand how the calculation is made on that spreadsheet. Thank you for your advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools don’t consider retakes, that may be where the discrepancy is. I agree with @Sheeshtopher. You need to focus on MCAT and GPA at this point. Is there any way you can pull your sGPA above a 3.0?

Medical schools don’t consider retakes, that may be where the discrepancy is. I agree with @Sheeshtopher. You need to focus on MCAT and GPA at this point. Is there any way you can pull your sGPA above a 3.0?
YeS, I was thinking of taking anatomy and physiology or upper level science classes. I took mostly neuroscience classes in undergrad so I am also not sure if I should put those classes As part of the BCPM.

YeS, I was thinking of taking anatomy and physiology or upper level science classes. I took mostly neuroscience classes in undergrad so I am also not sure if I should put those classes As part of the BCPM.

yes, neuroscience is BCPM

If your GPA and sGPA are really that low, you're not competitive for MD or DO. The guide by Goro linked above is your best bet, and you'll need to very well on the MCAT to be competitive.

You aren’t ready to apply anywhere or to take the MCAT. If those are really your GPAs you aren’t competitive for any med school. Did you retake lots of classes that your school replaced but AMCAS didn’t? At this point you need to string together several semesters of excellent work in upper level science classes. You have to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. You haven’t proven that yet, not even to yourself.
How are your other ECs? You have enough research. You won’t be applying to research powerhouses anyway. If research is a huge interest and you really want to pursue a career that includes research maybe consider doing a Ph.D. Instead. Don’t take the MCAT at this point. You obviously have big holes in your scientific knowledge and that will harm your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user