bl1ndfolded

10+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
So I'm going to UOP this year and am thinking about specializing in OS, but I know that UOP doesn't have a great reputation as far as getting people matched into specialties.

I was thinking that if i didn't match after graduating from UOP, I could do a GPR/AEGD and then re-apply. However, one of my friends just told me that there's some new rule that says if you do a GPR you can't specialize. That didn't seem like it'd make much sense, but I'm not sure. Is that true?

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Nope. :)

If you go through school and still want to do OMS, though, you'd be better served by doing a 1-year OMS internship than doing a GPR. Check out a few of the threads in the dental residency forum for more if you're interested.

About the Ads

Jone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
florida
Status (Visible)
What is your basis for this comment? It may be that very few people from UoP apply to specialty programs, not that UoP can't "[get] people matched".

The two people I know from UoP that wanted to specialize did match (one into Pedo and one into Endo).

I know that UOP doesn't have a great reputation as far as getting people matched into specialties.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
What is your basis for this comment? It may be that very few people from UoP apply to specialty programs, not that UoP can't "[get] people matched".

The two people I know from UoP that wanted to specialize did match (one into Pedo and one into Endo).
Point of order: endo programs don't participate in the Match.

t2thDr14

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Now compare UOP to a more academic school like UCSF... Dr. Bertolami said at my interview that about 30-35% apply to specialty programs, with a 90% acceptance rate.

Dr. Yarborough said at my interview that about 20-25% of UOP's class apply for specialty programs, with an acceptance rate of 80-95%.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm also thinking of specializing (considering OMS too), and I just love UOP. So's me thinks: Go for it! :) It'll be tough, but I think it's doable.

Apico

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Well lucky for you UNLV has a great specialty rate for OMFS everyone that has entered the match has matched in the last two years. This is mainly because of the experience we get and the person in charge of the OS department(the reason we get the experience we do..impacted thirds etc) here is interviewing and probably will be at UOP w/ in the year. So I wouldn't worry too much.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.