GPR/AEGD Personal Statement Qualms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P1996

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's THAT time of year. I've written a personalized statement to my top choice program that totals 820 words (is this too long?). Would any residents or dental professionals be interested in reading it to see if it's acceptable?

I'm worried because I gave it to the writing center at my school today who commented that my statement is "not personal" enough and "does not include specific patient experiences". She told me it sounded like I was boasting about my resume (which is my greatest fear!). I tried to be really genuine in my statement about my motivations, but now I'm anxious. Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep it to one page (what is that 650 words? I can't remember) and concise because directors have to read SO many that you don't want to be wordy

It is okay to be professionally boastful because this is the one essay you have to sell yourself, you don't want to be too humble because then you won't stand out in the big stack of personal statements. I would avoid repeating too much of your resume though because you will be submitting that too... the PS is where you can delve into the personal and emotional aspects and experiences that can't be listed on a resume

Reactions: 1 user