GPR at Lehigh Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanuckDDS

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard anything about the Mullenberg-Lehigh Valley GPR? They have offered me prematch acceptance and I wanna know all the dirty details before I accept.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

CanuckDDS said:
Has anybody heard anything about the Mullenberg-Lehigh Valley GPR? They have offered me prematch acceptance and I wanna know all the dirty details before I accept.

Thanks

hey there. i am not in the dental field anymore, however, i did an internship there for the summer. it was at muhlenberg hospital. i know the director very well. also some of the residents who worked there and i still keep on touch with. here are some points i remember. as far as i could see they have learned tremendous amount. they are thought with latest techniques, with interesting cases. endos w/ rotary, sedative cases, implants, obviously lots of restorative and dentures, crown etc. they have attendings come in everyday each from different areas, wednesdays used to be extraction days with oral surgeon, tuesdays were like endo days w/ endodontist, thrusdays will be prosto days, it varies. you are also given lectures on different topics of the dentistry. you are also on call, i know one resident was involved in major face reconstructive case with pt who got into a bad accident. staffs were extremely nice. even though i was only an intern, i really felt like i have saw so many differnt areas of dentistry that i can ever imagine. if you want more information pm me perhaps i can hook you up with the resident who i used to work with, then you can ask him the detailed questions.

CanuckDDS said:

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know anything about that location, but I'm curious as to how prematch acceptances work?

If you agree then I'm supposing you must withdraw your rank list schools?

How many programs typically offer prematch positions, and does this signify that they are weaker programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have to withdraw from the match. I don't think that prematch acceptance indicates weaker programs...at least not from what I've heard. Many schools go unmatched and have to pick up the scraps post match. I think prematch is just a way of securing desired candidates.

Many GPR's don't actually participate in the match.

I did a GPR at Lehigh Valley in 2000-2001. I learned a lot. It was my first choice in the Match. I was at the Lehigh Valley 17th street site.. but we had a lot of interaction with Muhlenberg (the two were not fully merged at that time). There were only three residents back then (4 now) and the three of us were responsible for the call at the I-78 trauma center. The call is now shared between the two programs so there is a lot less trauma call. That might be a strength or a weakness depending on what you were looking for. I liked the fact that call was not in-house.. it was nicer in my opinion. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to do it again.. I did a lot of things I never go to do in school.. multiple surgical extractions, perio surgeries, OR pedo cases, and so on. Plus with pre-maatch you don't have to stress out about Match day (like I am doing now for the Ortho match on Monday). hehe

Mark

CanuckDDS said:
I will have to withdraw from the match. I don't think that prematch acceptance indicates weaker programs...at least not from what I've heard. Many schools go unmatched and have to pick up the scraps post match. I think prematch is just a way of securing desired candidates.

Many GPR's don't actually participate in the match.

thanks for the info bowser and kwakster...

bowser, did you get to place and restore and implant cases? I'm pretty interested in the surgical aspect of implants and I want to pick a GPR that includes surg.

What about esthetic prosth? Veneers etc.?

thanks