GPR vs. AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noodletw

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the difference between the two and the pros and cons of each? I would like to become a private general dentist and was wondering which of the 2 programs (GPR or AEGD) would better prepare me for it. If I were to apply to other postgrad programs after completing either GPR or AEGD, which program (GPR or AEGD) should I choose? Thanks for your inputs and info.

Members don't see this ad.

Search the Student section of the Dentaltown forums. There you can read responses from dentists who have actually been through GPR's/AEGD's. There have been several lengthy threads on this topic that should be helpful.

i always wondered the same thing too..whether any of the two--AEGD or GPR has any advantages or higher consideration over each other while applying to post doc programs??

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP:

If you are really wondering which program will prepare you better for private practice, then it is going to vary from specific program to program.

GPRs are typically hospital-based programs, where residents rotate through anesth., trauma, and other programs in order to learn how to treat hospital dentistry as well as the role that dentistry plays in a hospital setting.

AEGDs are typically based at dental schools and NOT hospital based. They are moreso an extension of dental school with residents working in the clinics and seeing a wide variety of cases that other students can't handle.

Of course, there are exceptions to the above, but what I've posted is typical.

Now, having said that, not every GPR will be better than a AEGD, or vice versa. There are some crappy GPRs out there and some crappy AEGD programs as well.

You need to look at specific programs to determine which will prepare you better to fulfill your career aspirations. Don't limit yourself to one type of program. For example, it is not unfathomable that certain AEGDs will provide their students with better casework than GPRs. Sure, there are some cool GPRs at fabulous hospitals in New York and LA and Boston, but there are also some GPRs in rural settings that aren't going to have the patient flow as big cities. The same goes for AEGDs. Go to the adea.org website and find use the post-doc program link to find programs that you might be interested in.

Good luck.

From what I have heard from graduates of both programs:
1. Decide what you want to do.... i.e. If you want to be a general dentist or are hoping to reapply to a specialty program.
2. If you picked Gen dent: You can do either AEGD or GPR. However, in the case of a GPR make sure you don't choose a major university center or a big medical center with a busy trauma center: because you will become an OS scut monkey... hence not really picking up skills you need as a gen dent in private practice. A GPR in a smaller community hospital is a lot better. AEGDs in genreal are very good for general dentists (provided its not a substandard place).
3. If you want to reapply to a specialty program: Go with GPR attached to a dental school so you can schmooze your way into the hearts and minds of the specialty dept you are interested in. There are also many non dental school based programs that are very good in placing their grads into specialties.
4. If you were unable to match into OS and still want to do it, go for the 1yr OS internship that also gives you the GPR Certificate upon graduation. This serves a dual purpose.

Bottom line, do a lot of research on your own besides just listening to the program reps over pizza.