GPR with a late start / open spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halberstram

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am searching for a GPR that starts later than the usual July 1st start date. Does anyone know if there are any?

My story is this: I am matched to a GPR that starts July 1st but was recently involved in an accident resulting in a broken leg and torn ligaments in my left knee. Due to the surgery and recovery time, I would have to start my residency 18 days late, which caused the program director to demand my resignation. I am pretty sure he has no right to do so, especially since I offered to use some of my vacation and sick days to cover the absence (I have 4 weeks vacation and 12 sick days). He said it is against hospital regulations for a new resident to use vacation days within the first 2 months. I have signed a letter of intent, but not yet the packet of official employee contracts. I am hoping that the contract involved in the match system is enough to ensure my spot. At this point I have contacted a lawyer and am ready to fight it, but it would be much easier to find a GPR with a later start date or one with a more reasonable program director. I plan on practicing in Delaware, so it must be a GPR (not AEGD). Unfortunately, I did not take NERBS because Delaware has their own clinical boards, so if I am unable to secure a residency, I will have wasted an entire year. Any input is appreciated (dental or legal). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I am searching for a GPR that starts later than the usual July 1st start date. Does anyone know if there are any?

My story is this: I am matched to a GPR that starts July 1st but was recently involved in an accident resulting in a broken leg and torn ligaments in my left knee. Due to the surgery and recovery time, I would have to start my residency 18 days late, which caused the program director to demand my resignation. I am pretty sure he has no right to do so, especially since I offered to use some of my vacation and sick days to cover the absence (I have 4 weeks vacation and 12 sick days). He said it is against hospital regulations for a new resident to use vacation days within the first 2 months. I have signed a letter of intent, but not yet the packet of official employee contracts. I am hoping that the contract involved in the match system is enough to ensure my spot. At this point I have contacted a lawyer and am ready to fight it, but it would be much easier to find a GPR with a later start date or one with a more reasonable program director. I plan on practicing in Delaware, so it must be a GPR (not AEGD). Unfortunately, I did not take NERBS because Delaware has their own clinical boards, so if I am unable to secure a residency, I will have wasted an entire year. Any input is appreciated (dental or legal). Thanks!

give me a call.