GPR with low Part 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Candidate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be ready to apply GPR next year, and I am not sure what my chances will be since I didn't perform well on part 1. My class rank is in the bottom half of my class, and little worried if I will not have the option to do GRR at all or not.

I'm highly interested in VA programs, any ideas if I have a shot? or ways I can improve my chances? if you know the cut-offs for VA programs, please share.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, did you see how many programs didn't fill their spots last year? TONS.
I don't think you will have a problem at all.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it getting harder to fill GPR spots? and will they do anything to fill their seats, even accept people with low stats? (no offense to you Candidate!)

It is getting harder b/c people are realizing that a lot of these programs suck. Many of the unfilled programs teach you little more than amalgams and extractions and working up sick *** hospital patients. These activities are unlikely to make you a better private practicing dentist. The excellent programs, on the other hand, are competitive.

Many programs have opened recently just to fill the need for access to care and will not deliver advanced dentisty...implants etc....
BUT ALL WILL:
improve your confidence
improve your ability on patients you don't see in dental school - fraile eldery,
medically compromised
improve your ability to handle emergencies...

I have site visited many programs... some are excellent... some... well

with your grades low... you still have an excellent chance... and it seems like you ability and speed will improve....

good luck.... if you wish... call any time

It is getting harder b/c people are realizing that a lot of these programs suck.
How would you be able to know which programs "suck"? is there a way to find out?

VA hospitals are great because there is little to no real on call, but the way in which the "reall world" is...very different.

I have friends seeing upward of 30 people/day sometimes more. Sure some of the money sounds good but, by the time you pay back your student loans, credit card bills for the month, malpractice, dental society dues, health care basics, and food, rent and lease, man..I don't know if there is enough for a new pair of shoes...:confused:

I've been told that some programs really work you, but, others are making strides to get you ready to make some tough choices.

I know through friends that some of the smaller programs may be where it is at.

Lincoln Hospital has a couple openings, and new faculty on board. With an average GPA and okay scores, I hear you can get in and place implants, which is nice.

I've heard that there is a lot of openings for candidates. I've been told that you can place implants at Lincoln Hospital as well as restore them.
Beats undergrad stuff.

VA hospitals are great because there is little to no real on call, but the way in which the "reall world" is...very different.

I have friends seeing upward of 30 people/day sometimes more. Sure some of the money sounds good but, by the time you pay back your student loans, credit card bills for the month, malpractice, dental society dues, health care basics, and food, rent and lease, man..I don't know if there is enough for a new pair of shoes...:confused:

I've been told that some programs really work you, but, others are making strides to get you ready to make some tough choices.

I know through friends that some of the smaller programs may be where it is at.

Lincoln Hospital has a couple openings, and new faculty on board. With an average GPA and okay scores, I hear you can get in and place implants, which is nice.
What new faculty? Has there been a change there?

I was kind of like you. I wanted to do a VA hospital because of the prosth experience and the light call. However, they are very competitive for that reason and I was also in the bottom half of the class with a part 1 score of 80. The only VA I got an interview at was the one I visited way before application time. (BTW, I highly recommend that. It shows your interest over someone who just applies with no visit)

I ended up post-matching to an OK program. I also had a friend who didn't get into her VA programs and she post-matched too. Some of the open positions were not great programs or when you went to post-match they had already filled it with someone they interviewed with.

So my advice to you is to visit the programs you really want to go to and ask if you can shadow a resident for a day and ask a lot of questions. In the end personal does help alot.... Don't doubt yourself and go for it and have backup residencies too.

Good luck!

I was kind of like you. I wanted to do a VA hospital because of the prosth experience and the light call. However, they are very competitive for that reason and I was also in the bottom half of the class with a part 1 score of 80. The only VA I got an interview at was the one I visited way before application time. (BTW, I highly recommend that. It shows your interest over someone who just applies with no visit)

I ended up post-matching to an OK program. I also had a friend who didn't get into her VA programs and she post-matched too. Some of the open positions were not great programs or when you went to post-match they had already filled it with someone they interviewed with.

So my advice to you is to visit the programs you really want to go to and ask if you can shadow a resident for a day and ask a lot of questions. In the end personal does help alot.... Don't doubt yourself and go for it and have backup residencies too.

Good luck!

Hey! I was wondering what exactly you did on your visit to the program you wanted to attend. Did you meet with the director and ask questions? Did you get a tour of the facilities? What kinds of q's did you ask? I was thinking of informally visiting a program before interview time and could use some tips. Thanks!

Hey! I was wondering what exactly you did on your visit to the program you wanted to attend. Did you meet with the director and ask questions? Did you get a tour of the facilities? What kinds of q's did you ask? I was thinking of informally visiting a program before interview time and could use some tips. Thanks!

I always scheduled interviews with the directors first so they knew and were prepared for me. Yes, I asked the director questions mostly about procedures done and how they do things there. Everytime they let me talk to a resident which was key in me getting the "real" info. That's when I asked questions about call and work. You don't want to seem lazy to the director"

I asked questions about how many residens there were, how many assistants there were and types of procedures, specifically prosth, implants. Ask what types of attendings come through, OS, prosth... and are they seeing pts. too. If they are they may not be giving you much help. Rotary endo, lunch and learns, if there's a hygienist and anything else you may want to know.

I highly recommend visiting the programs first! Highly! On interview day one director didn't remember me by face but she told me she had it written down that I was the only applicant that had visited. Plus, you kind of get an interview before anyone else :)

Many programs have opened recently just to fill the need for access to care and will not deliver advanced dentisty...implants etc....
BUT ALL WILL:
improve your confidence
improve your ability on patients you don't see in dental school - fraile eldery,
medically compromised
improve your ability to handle emergencies...

I have site visited many programs... some are excellent... some... well

with your grades low... you still have an excellent chance... and it seems like you ability and speed will improve....

good luck.... if you wish... call any time

do you know if any of this programs accept foreign graduates?
I have 8 years of experince in my country including 3 years periodontics residency + 1 year surgery ,2 years military service + private practice , plus 2 years of working as dental assistant in the USA where I got familiar with the USA standards and regulations , so all I need is a credeted program to get a license after all .
my NBDE1 score is 81 -not much ..

thank you for the reply and thank you for giving every body hope.