grad school acceptance rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello!
I am an undergrad currently with not that fantastic of a gpa due to a myriad of things, but namely my entry to undergrad as a premed major in combination with COVID transitions. As of now I'm at 3.19 but after this semester it should jump up a bit. But what is concerning to me is it doesn't seem like I can get my gpa past a 3.45 cumulatively seeing as I am a junior. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen success with this? I want my doctorate but I'm thinking if I can get into a masters I should take that then apply for a doctorate after? I just kind of want to hear other opinions about this. I'm not super fond of PsyD programs, even the accredited ones, just because they are crazy expensive! In psych my gpa is pretty decent it's just that pre-med track that messed me up really bad and I'm stressed!!!!!!! I'm super passionate about psychology and I just wanna help people I know I'd love it

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I am an undergrad currently with not that fantastic of a gpa due to a myriad of things, but namely my entry to undergrad as a premed major in combination with COVID transitions. As of now I'm at 3.19 but after this semester it should jump up a bit. But what is concerning to me is it doesn't seem like I can get my gpa past a 3.45 cumulatively seeing as I am a junior. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen success with this? I want my doctorate but I'm thinking if I can get into a masters I should take that then apply for a doctorate after? I just kind of want to hear other opinions about this. I'm not super fond of PsyD programs, even the accredited ones, just because they are crazy expensive! In psych my gpa is pretty decent it's just that pre-med track that messed me up really bad and I'm stressed!!!!!!! I'm super passionate about psychology and I just wanna help people I know I'd love it
Advice from a PhD applicant:

1. There is no need to panic at all. Your GPA sure may not be as competitive as you'd like it to be, but it is just one factor of the application: and many programs I know will not have any minimum for cutoffs, and at some cases faculty say that their priory is focused more on research experience, interests, and other qualities rather than the GPA. But you'll need to write a stunning application for that including glowing SOP and LORs.

2. I suggest that you take some time off and join a lab as a full-time RA and/or also obtain a master's degree. By then the focus will be on the more relevant grades such as that come from the masters.

3. You did not specify, but I am assuming a clinical program. Yes, it is competitive as medical schools are (in some cases even more). I do not have any information on whether you have any research experience- and usually that's not the case in a pre-med track. If you are aiming for clinical science or scientist-practitioner programs, don't even bother without a track record of productive research experience under your belt. it is a rare and hard aim right from undergrad (especially with this GPA- because that will be the only thing you left them to evaluate and they're going to do so harshly).

4. "I'm super passionate about psychology and I just wanna help people I know I'd love it" No. Just No. DON'T mention that as your motivation or reason for wanting to go to XYZ program. Not a very compelling reason.

Best of luck! again, once you get good research experience and probably an MA/MS you don't need to panic about your UGPA.

4. "I'm super passionate about psychology and I just wanna help people I know I'd love it" No. Just No. DON'T mention that as your motivation or reason for wanting to go to XYZ program. Not a very compelling reason.

Yeah, this would come up in applications and interviews often, easy way to elicit an eyeroll. I'd second that advice. Nothing wrong with wanting to help people, but that lacks specificity in how this particular path is the right one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this would come up in applications and interviews often, easy way to elicit an eyeroll. I'd second that advice. Nothing wrong with wanting to help people, but that lacks specificity in how this particular path is the right one.
Yeah this isn’t something i’d say on the applications it was just more a statement for this forum

Hello!
You didn't mention research, but now is the time to get into a lab and really commit yourself if you haven't already. I would not wait until after you graduate because it is much harder to get involved with a lab after you graduate if you don't have much prior experience. And it definitely won't be paid work if you don't have prior experience.

I had been on the application committee at my program and have seen a masters at a good school combined with productive research experience (this is where you're going to get those glowing letters of recommendation NeuroPsychosis mentioned) make up for a lower GPA (under 3.5 was considered low at my program). Also, make sure your stats/research methods grade is at least a B+. Any time there was a concern about an applicant's academic record, we would look specifically at their stats/research methods course.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah this isn’t something i’d say on the applications it was just more a statement for this forum
Right, but the point is that you need something compelling to replace it. Grad school admissions are about fit so you need to articulate a strong match with that specific program (e.g., orientation, training opportunities) and specific faculty members and their research.

Reactions: 1 user