Grad Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...are you required to submit TWO separate LOR's? One for undergrad and for Grad?

One of the schools I am applying to requires an undergrad committee/faculty letter AND a grad (for those in grad school) LOR.

Now my grad major is MPA (public administration)....I have been in the program for 1 yr and so far only one professor knows that I am medically oriented. I have had this professor 3x already, but I am not sure if I should ask him to write my LOR.
I know when I asked to be excuse from class on MCAT day he asked me "why I wanted to go to medical school?" and "what I was doing in the MPA program?" (not in a mean way though).
So I'm thinking he wouldn't feel too comfortable writing my LOR.

I mean grad school is not like undergrad where your professors get to "really know you" (as least not in my program). For crying out loud, we meet once a week for 3hours and most people are rushing to get out and go home to their kids(most people in my program are 35+yrs).

So what to do?

I will call the medical school tomorrow and ask again if they are serious about requiring an entirely different LOR from grad school faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to handle this is to go see this professor and ask him face to face whether he would be 'comfortable' giving you a 'strong' letter of support. You can explain your interest and provide supporting documentation (resume, copy of AMCAS, whatever) so he can see all your academic and clinical experience devoted to this aim. He may just tell you no, but most people I appraoched in this manner responded positively and provided a strong letter. Most such people are just more afraid that they don't know what is really required but if you give them a framework to work with they are more comfortable.

You are considered to be "non-traditional". AMCAS should have some information on this. I'm in TX on the TMDSAS and they had me get a letter from one old prof and my boss (grad advisor in your case).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by thackl
You are considered to be "non-traditional". AMCAS should have some information on this.

Letters are not handled through AMCAS and they will therefore have no information on this. Only contacting the school directly can clarify it.

...are you required to submit TWO separate LOR's? One for undergrad and for Grad?

Some schools don't require a letter from your Grad advisor, but all of them want some kind of letter saying a) you will finish the program by the time med school comes around or b) that they are aware of your plans to leave and they are fine with it.

Originally posted by BushBaby

I mean grad school is not like undergrad where your professors get to "really know you" (as least not in my program). For crying out loud, we meet once a week for 3hours and most people are rushing to get out and go home to their kids(most people in my program are 35+yrs).

I believe it is usually the contrary in which grad school classes are smaller and professors are much more interested in the welfare of their students. Maybe its just your program? *shrug* In any case you can send your LORs to your undergrad as part of your committee letter.

I haven't used any undergrad profs for letters of recomendation.. I used my grad school profs, boss, and volunteer director.