Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey SDNers

Just wanted to know whether it mattered if I passed my classes once I gained admission to dental school. I am done with all my pre-reqs and I am just taking a few bio classes for the hell of it. I called the dental school and they told me I could drop my classes since they were not pre-reqs, but since I paid a non-refundable $3000 for the classes I decided to continue taking the courses. If I end up making a "D" can the school rescind my acceptance?

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
Hey SDNers

Just wanted to know whether it mattered if I passed my classes once I gained admission to dental school. I am done with all my pre-reqs and I am just taking a few bio classes for the hell of it. I called the dental school and they told me I could drop my classes since they were not pre-reqs, but since I paid a non-refundable $3000 for the classes I decided to continue taking the courses. If I end up making a "D" can the school rescind my acceptance?
If the school told you that you can drop them if you want, then they don't care if you pass them either. But since you've already paid the money, you might as well learn the material, right?

Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Well, that's why I stayed in the class, but to be brutally honest I've become super lazy since getting in. I know I'm gonna have to work my tail off for the next 4+ years so I'm enjoying the free time I have now while still attending class and trying to absorb some info lol

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
Well, that's why I stayed in the class, but to be brutally honest I've become super lazy since getting in. I know I'm gonna have to work my tail off for the next 4+ years so I'm enjoying the free time I have now while still attending class and trying to absorb some info lol
Well, shoot for a C then. You may as well pass the class, even if you don't go all out. But I seriously doubt it will matter if you pass it or not. You're going to graduate, you've been accepted, and they aren't pre-reqs. Go bask in what little freedom you have left :).

solstice

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Well, shoot for a C then. You may as well pass the class, even if you don't go all out. But I seriously doubt it will matter if you pass it or not. You're going to graduate, you've been accepted, and they aren't pre-reqs. Go bask in what little freedom you have left :).
I would check with the school if I were you. Dropping non pre-req class is something and failing a class that you put in your future transcript is another. They usually tell you that you should not get less than C. They may not care about classes you are taking. But ask them to be sure. You can still attend the class and learn the material after you dropped. Also it is not a bad idea to get serious and study for it; it will pay off comes Aug.

Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the input guys, just to be clear I already graduated with a degree and just decided to take the courses to help prepare for nxt year.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hey SDNers

i feel exactly the same! bored like crazy in my psych course right now. deeply regret taking this course

what's annoying is that I called my school but they wouldn't tell me what sort of average I need to maintain. they just said that I need to maintain a "good" academic standing.

oh well, nothing that can be done now.

just do decently and graduate

Mar 26, 2010
Kentucky
Status
Pre-Dental
As long as it is not a science class (req or no req sci), I doubt they would take your acceptance away. I know that to be on good academic standing at my school there is a minimum GPA. As long as you're not getting C's and D's in your other classes I doubt they will do anything about it.