grades post acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobe42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys know if dental schools care about ur grades after they have accepted you?? i mean, do they even ask for ur transcript after u have given them ur deposit?!?! I have closer to a 4.0ish gpa and got into my top choice... but i definately think that getting a B-/C in 2 of my classes is a possibility this semester... any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools tell you that you have to maintain good grades until matriculation and all require you to submit to them final transcripts. Essentially if you mess things up real bad they have left themselves enough ambiguity that they could actually cancel your acceptance. However unless the school says specifically that you must have a certain GPA or letter grades then the likelihood of them taking action is small and they probably won't care about a couple of B's. C's probably shouldn't matter much unless it was all your classes but still I wouldn't risk it.

i totally hear you. i am going to get some B's this semester (and i have had a 4.0) and a C in a 1 hour class is a possibility too (ughh but i really hope not!!)

i think for schools, you should strive to keep up C's and better. don't completely slack off where you get like all C's, but i think a C or too isn't going to matter really.

one of the schools i want to go to has an hours requirement where you have to take 15-18 hours a semester post-acceptance. i am going to take 15-18 hours next semester and just do the best i can.

just make sure you have at least C's in all the prereqs you need and don't totally slack off. just do the best you can :)

Members don't see this ad :)
one of the schools i want to go to has an hours requirement where you have to take 15-18 hours a semester post-acceptance. i am going to take 15-18 hours next semester and just do the best i can.

Um swimming, jogging, intro to Chinese culture, art appreciation, basic econ ;)

I can tell you that they ABSOLUTELY care. I know a girl who caught the senioritis after acceptance and had her acceptance rescinded. So don't be a slacker, or not completely.

On a positive note, she was really, really hot and found and married a neurosurgeon, so she'll be fine.

I can tell you that they ABSOLUTELY care. I know a girl who caught the senioritis after acceptance and had her acceptance rescinded. So don't be a slacker, or not completely.

On a positive note, she was really, really hot and found and married a neurosurgeon, so she'll be fine

lmao :laugh:

i totally hear you. i am going to get some B's this semester (and i have had a 4.0) and a C in a 1 hour class is a possibility too (ughh but i really hope not!!)

i think for schools, you should strive to keep up C's and better. don't completely slack off where you get like all C's, but i think a C or too isn't going to matter really.

just make sure you have at least C's in all the prereqs you need and don't totally slack off. just do the best you can :)

Can I ask which school requires 15-18 hrs a semester after acceptance?

my brother got accetped last year. after that he got 1 B and the rest are Cs. They do not care. they want you to send the transcript to them so they know that you have B.S or B.A . as long as you got it, does not matter what grade you got. one of my friend even failed class, but she made up in the summer and start program in the fall.

GO party......

my brother got accetped last year. after that he got 1 B and the rest are Cs. They do not care. they want you to send the transcript to them so they know that you have B.S or B.A . as long as you got it, does not matter what grade you got. one of my friend even failed class, but she made up in the summer and start program in the fall.

GO party......

Now that's what I like to hear! Haha- i wouldn't risk it though, don't fail your classes, and try to get mostly B's and you'll be fine

i'm shooting for A's and a few B's, but with missing so many classes for interviews, getting an A in my hard science classes will be challenging!

-_- hoping for Bs....

Last edited:

On a positive note, she was really, really hot and found and married a neurosurgeon, so she'll be fine.

What did she make? Did she fail or what...more details :)

Anyways, in my Houston acceptance it says "to maintain a level of course work consistent with your past" so I guess they want me to keep my 3.8 GPA, but I dunno, I'm probably going to make a couple of Bs (maybe even a C :oops:) this semester due to missed classes. But I dont think they will rescind my acceptance for 1 C (the rest will be As and Bs).

What did she make? Did she fail or what...more details :)

Anyways, in my Houston acceptance it says "to maintain a level of course work consistent with your past" so I guess they want me to keep my 3.8 GPA, but I dunno, I'm probably going to make a couple of Bs (maybe even a C :oops:) this semester due to missed classes. But I dont think they will rescind my acceptance for 1 C (the rest will be As and Bs).

klpennin- I'm in the same boat- 3.7 pre-acceptance, but I'll prolly get 2 A's and 3 B's (maybe 1 C) this semester, i'm sure we'll be ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
uh you are getting two contradicting stories here. you should ask the school instead of this 'my friend of a friend...' nonsense

uh you are getting two contradicting stories here. you should ask the school instead of this 'my friend of a friend...' nonsense

lol, i dont think the dental school would like to hear that kind of question from one of their prospective students.... I don't have the guts to ask that.

haha I agree!

lol, i dont think the dental school would like to hear that kind of question from one of their prospective students.... I don't have the guts to ask that.

This, my friends, is exactly why this question has never been definitively answered any of the previous seven thousand times it's been asked on SDN.

I'm planning to send in my transcript after this quarter (I'm looking at a C, B-, B+ and an A...not too hot) and if any school has any major qualms, at least I'll know before depositing there.

I've never made a C...and I'm going to this semester. I really don't believe its going to affect my status at all...and thats exactly why I can't study for finals.

ahh i wish UoP dent school was more lenient with the post acceptance grades. they want B or better...that sucksss
and i'm about to get a C in one class.

Just as an FYI ...... if you are one of the 1 bazilliion pre-dents who want to specialize (primarily in ortho since it seems be the popularity we need 20 orthodontists to ever general dentist), just make note that there are specialty programs out there that do request undergrad transcripts form what I have been told. So, just take that into consideration when looking to slack off too much this semester. I know I had fun my last semester before d-school, but I also didn't want to risk anything either. Just take note and don't get pissed becaue no one ever told you it could possibly come back to bite you in the ***** later. Will it? I don't know, but is it worth the risk of being a small negative factor when applying a residency if that program wants your transcript?

Just as an FYI ...... if you are one of the 1 bazilliion pre-dents who want to specialize (primarily in ortho since it seems be the popularity we need 20 orthodontists to ever general dentist), just make note that there are specialty programs out there that do request undergrad transcripts form what I have been told. So, just take that into consideration when looking to slack off too much this semester. I know I had fun my last semester before d-school, but I also didn't want to risk anything either. Just take note and don't get pissed becaue no one ever told you it could possibly come back to bite you in the ***** later. Will it? I don't know, but is it worth the risk of being a small negative factor when applying a residency if that program wants your transcript?

I don't want to specialize but I would assume that with my 3.9+ a few B's are not going to significantly affect my GPA.

I don't want to specialize but I would assume that with my 3.9+ a few B's are not going to significantly affect my GPA.

Yours - no, but some of the other responses posted could have their slacking affect things. I just wanted to make sure people don't party too much now thinking there wouldn't potentially be anything affected in the future. I follow the philosophy that I would rather know all the details and be able to make a decision what is best for me than be ignorant of the details and not know what is best for me. By knowing it could affect getting into some specialty programs (especially if you are not a strong candidate), people cannot b!tch and moan they didn't know.

Yours - no, but some of the other responses posted could have their slacking affect things. I just wanted to make sure people don't party too much now thinking there wouldn't potentially be anything affected in the future. I follow the philosophy that I would rather know all the details and be able to make a decision what is best for me than be ignorant of the details and not know what is best for me. By knowing it could affect getting into some specialty programs (especially if you are not a strong candidate), people cannot b!tch and moan they didn't know.

Thats true man and definitely some good wisdom for all of us to hear.

no i started to feel the slacking spirit after being accepted, but i said i'm not going to do that, so i've certainly stepped it up, and i'm going to destroy my next exams and finals, and should end up with mostly A's and possibly a B+ in my hardest science course

So when they say my acceptance is "contingent upon continue satisfactory academic achievement" means I need to pass my classes, but not with a specific grade?? I have very hard classes this semester and I probably would end up with 2 C's (My first C ever) 1 B and 1 A. I am worry that they can take my acceptance away...

What about if I get a D, can they then take my acceptance even if I am able to take the class again next semester???

So when they say my acceptance is "contingent upon continue satisfactory academic achievement" means I need to pass my classes, but not with a specific grade?? I have very hard classes this semester and I probably would end up with 2 C's (My first C ever) 1 B and 1 A. I am worry that they can take my acceptance away...

What about if I get a D, can they then take my acceptance even if I am able to take the class again next semester???

if your acceptance letter had that exact statement in it, then I would be a little worried if I were you.. this basically means that they want you to continue doing well in your classes.. who knows, maybe this is there way of scaring you into doing well and they are just bluffing.. but it sucks that it said that.. my top chioce said nothing about grades in the acceptance letter...

"satisfactory academic acheivement" is probably about as vague as they could make it. I would think you would be ok, but I can't tell you for sure.

this thread made me smile...I guess we're all on the same boat...I'm trying really hard not to slack off and get into the Cs range as well..

Now I'm just waiting for the final grade in my classes, I am thinking 1B, 1A, and 2C, but I have to wait and see!!! I will send my deposit this week and pray everything goes ok and they don't take my acceptance away due to my Cs!!!!