GradPlus loan question from student with car loan default?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just received my matriculation packet to my intended school. I had a question that I am unsure if anyone on here will be able to answer from their own experience with Gradplus loans.

So I am going to need Gradplus loans however when looking into Gradplus they say that anyone with adverse credit history will not qualify unless they have a cosigner. I defaulted on a car loan and have some medical bills that wound up in collections (I come from a very low income family). I decided to default on my car loan (it was actually a voluntary surrender, however that makes no difference) so that I would be able to focus more on my school work.

I have a cosigner who doesn't have any adverse credit history, however their income is not very high. Will I be able to qualify for a Gradplus loan with this cosigner? Do I have any other options?

Kinda freaking out because I fought so hard to get here and I don't want this to be what keeps me out of school. Also before someone mentions it, I would prefer not to use HSPS because I have heard horror stories of the military dictating what specialty you go into. My GPA from undergrad is too low to qualify anyways.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

unless things have changed from last year, the co-signer need only have a non-adverse credit history. that's it. i was in the same boat. feel free to pm me if you'd like. i drove myself nuts needlessly.

Reactions: 1 user
unless things have changed from last year, the co-signer need only have a non-adverse credit history. that's it. i was in the same boat. feel free to pm me if you'd like. i drove myself nuts needlessly.

There is no option to PM you. Can you PM me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you're clear about it, your cosigner will be 100% responsible for your loan. Should something go wrong, the loan servicer will insist they pay back also. Sometimes people think being a cosigner is a formality. It isn't -- it's a serious commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Just so you're clear about it, your cosigner will be 100% responsible for your loan. Should something go wrong, the loan servicer will insist they pay back also. Sometimes people think being a cosigner is a formality. It isn't -- it's a serious commitment.
They are aware of this. Unfortunately no one in my family makes a bunch of money. So low income co-signers is what I have to work with and they are aware of the stipulations that go along with being a co-signer.