CrypticRomantic

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello,

I am currently a 4th year DO student, graduating in May 2021 and deciding on which loan repayment plan to pursue. I am single, with $295,000 in med school debt total. I am currently thinking REPAYE is the best option for me. I am wondering should I consolidate my loans before applying for REPAYE? I also do not know the best time to sign up to consolidate or REPAYE especially in light of the 0% interest rate until Sep 30th..?

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

JustPass

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Consolidate, REPAYE.
You won't be making payments regardless because it's based on your previous year income which I assume is $0.
Even if you did make money, you won't be able to make payments until 6 months into residency or something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

CrypticRomantic

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Consolidate, REPAYE.
You won't be making payments regardless because it's based on your previous year income which I assume is $0.
Even if you did make money, you won't be able to make payments until 6 months into residency or something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you know if there is any harm to consolidating first then signing up for REPAYE?

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do you know if there is any harm to consolidating first then signing up for REPAYE?
Nope. I recommend this as your loans are all in once place as a single loan, not however many you have with stafford vs perkins vs grad plus. I had all three.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.